Search for content in message boards

Finding elusive arrival record

Finding elusive arrival record

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:39AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Hi. I'm fairly new to Ancestry. I have made a lot of discoveries about my family, however there is an arrival record that has eluded me.
It is my grandfathers arrival to Philadelphia. According to my grandfather (years ago) he arrived at the port of Philadelphia on July 4 1913 (maybe 1912?). He thought that everyone was so glad that another ship of immigrants arrived that they were having a celebration in their honor (fireworks, food, making merry etc..)
I've used Ancestry's search form everyway I could think of but have come up with nothing. Does anybody know what I might be doing wrong or have any suggestions on how to proceed?
My grandfathers name was Fred (Friedrich?) Jablonski when he arrived. Immigration changed his name to Fred Apple. (birth: Sep 1895, Poland (or Russia, -- maybe Germany?)
Thanks you for any help..

Re: Finding elusive arrival record

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 6:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Feb 2013 6:43AM GMT
Glen,

Don't perpetuate the myth that an immigrants name was changed at the port of entry by immigration officials. Do the research and investigate what actually happened.

It doesn't look like a coincidence... the below

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=...
that Ancestry shows a "Jeitz Jablonski" arriving in July 1913...in Philadelphia and if one looks at the manifest, it's obviously Fritz.

But again, changing names by immigration officials is a myth.

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 6:52PM GMT
Hi Glenn,

I found in the 1930 census Philadelphia (Districts 0751-1000) a Fred Jablonski 34 years old, born around 1896 in Russia (birth date can also be 1895,in the census not ever correct)He lives there with his wife Johanna 31 years old and the child Louisa 3 years old. Maybe thats your Grandpa ??

Brueggemann

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 6:00PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Jablonski
I believe ski is a Polish suffix.. Leave Fred, their search engine is fuzzy. But for the point of departure try Rotterdam, Netherlands first, then Southhampton, England. My Polish relatives came through there. They could have travelled overland to a lot of ports. Lastly, you could try a NY port of arrival rather than Philly, unless you have documented proof from a census that they stayed around Philly.

Shaz.

Please use shashi777@rocketmail.com to reply.

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 12:08PM GMT
Do keep in mind that until the end of WW1 Poland was divided between three great empires, German, Russian and Austro-Hungarian so your grandfather, born 1895 was probably Polish (ski), by ethnicity and spoke Polish, but could have been Russian, German or "Austrian" by citizenaship/nationality at birth and could have any of the three passports. Depending on which part of "Poland" he came from he could have travelled by the "indirect route" (google) which meant a through ticket, train, ship, train, ship - from several Baltic ports - Libau (Liepaja), Danzig (Gdansk) or Memel (Klaipeda) to one of the UK East Coast ports - Grimsby (in particular), Hull, Newcastle or Leith. Most people travelling to North America continued to Liverpool or Glasgow, some did go to Southampton (one "h") but these were generally more for Australia or South Africa. The most important line for the Baltic stretch was the Wilson line which almost had a monopoly on the trade, but some people did travel through Hamburg, Bremen or Bremerhaven on other lines. Many of the North American destinations were served by Cunard from Liverpool. Might be worth googling "emigrant ships Liverpool" and see what turns up. As the population of "Poland" was very mixed if, e.g., his mother was German/German speaking his name could have been Friedrich, or I believe it is spelt Fryderyk if they spoke Polish, but either would probably appear as Frederick in English. Hope this is useful.

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 7:52PM GMT
This thread is an example of what happens when the original poster doesn't respond to answers for their question. If my original post which proposed a solution (a specific manifest entry) had gotten an answer back indicating it was the family in question, it would have avoided the wasted research time of other responders on this thread.

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 8:19PM GMT
Who said the other responders feel they have wasted research time? There is no research here, just good general knowledge. Personally I find sharing knowledge a pleasure - it is likely to be of use to someone somewhere.

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 1:34AM GMT
Hi
I just wanted to thank you all for commenting to my query and to apologize for not responding sooner. Due to my work schedule I have not been able devote much time (almost none) to my ancestry research recently.
Like I said in my original post - I am new to Ancestry and obviously have a lot to learn so your comments have all been very helpful, interesting and enlightening.

JoelWeintraub: I'd like to thank you especially, the manifest link you provided is almost certainly my grandfather. I have been trying to find it since I started Ancestry - oh yea... I've got a LOT to learn! LOL

Thanks again,
Glenn

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 1:38AM GMT
Thanks Glenn,

Us "old timers" are seeing less and less responses to our answers on these boards. There is nothing that will burn out responders quicker than not seeing any acknowledgements to our suggestions and research time.

Good luck with your family history research.

Joel

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 9:27PM GMT
I was happy to read that you found the passenger list for your Jablonsky.

Sharon Nairay.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions