Search for content in message boards

William Keahey Dawkins ancestors

William Keahey Dawkins ancestors

Posted: 26 May 2002 6:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dawkins Dockery Keahey Deaton
Hi,

William Keahey Dawkins was my 2nd great grandfather, born 11 Feb 1829 in Moore County, NC, married Mary Ann McDonald 15 Oct 1857 in Richmond County, died 15 Dec 1906. He and Mary Ann had several children, one of whom was Lydia Ann Dockery Dawkins, my great grandmother, who married John Henry Deaton of Montgomery County, NC.

I found that he and Mary Ann are buried in the Greene and Parsons Cemetery, Montgomery County, NC, although I have also seen them listed as buried at the McCollum cemetery.

Any information on his parents and ancestry would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Diana Bradley

Re: William Keahey Dawkins ancestors

Posted: 13 May 2005 2:40AM GMT
Edited: 31 May 2006 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: Dawkins, McInnis
William Keahey Dawkins was the son of Jessee Dawkins b. 1792 d. 7 Feb. 1852 and Euphemia McInnis b. Scotland 1790 d. 26 Apr. 1866.

Other children were: .. 1. Eliza Ann b. 26 Oct 1814, .. 2. George b. 6 Mar. 1820, .. 3. Sarah b. abt. 1823, .. 4. John A. b. abt. 1825, .. 5. Jane b. Sept. 1826.

Would like to exchange info.

Thanks,

Edward King

Posted: 11 Nov 2007 2:25AM GMT
Surnames: Dawkins
How do the Moore County Dawkins relate to the Richmond County Dawkins?

Posted: 11 Nov 2007 2:25AM GMT
Surnames: Dawkins
How do the Moore County Dawkins relate to the Richmond County Dawkins?

Posted: 11 Nov 2007 5:48PM GMT
Surnames: Dawkins, Deaton
My mother, granddaughter of Lydia Ann Dawkins, received a letter from Leoda Smith Atnip in the 1990s regarding genealogy research she was conducting on the Deaton/Dawkins line. I tried contacting Leoda by snail mail, but never received a reply.

In her letter, she stated:

William Keahey Dawkins, born 11 Feb. 1829. Died 15 Dec. 1906. Had 7 children with Mary Ann Blue McDonald, married 15 Oct 1857, Richmond County. Farm near Onvil, Montgomery Co., NC.

So, it looks to me like this line stems from Richmond County but settled in Montgomery County.

My grandmother, Lydia Ann Deaton (daugher of Lydia Ann
Dockery Dawkins and John Henry Deaton) was born in Troy, NC in 1904, died in 1992 in High Point, NC. Troy is in Montgomery County. But, it looks her Dawkins ancestors came from Richmond County.

Sorry, I don't know anything else about the Dawkins beyond what Edward King posted to my original query.

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: Keahey, McKeachey, Dawkins
Do you know who Sarah Jane McKeachey's parents were (I think she was the mother of Jesse Dawkins)? This connection might solve a major mystery in the Dawkins and Keahey genealogy realm! Any information about her or George's early life might help, too. I appreciate any info at all! Thanks so much,

Andrew Beachum

Posted: 27 Jan 2010 10:55PM GMT
Sorry, I don't know anything about Jesse Dawkins' parents.

Edward King's message in reply to my enquiry about the Keahey line addressed my question about William Keahey Dawkins, but nothing about his grandparents.

William Keahey Dawkins was the son of Jessee Dawkins b. 1792 d. 7 Feb. 1852 and Euphemia McInnis b. Scotland 1790 d. 26 Apr. 1866.

Other children were: .. 1. Eliza Ann b. 26 Oct 1814, .. 2. George b. 6 Mar. 1820, .. 3. Sarah b. abt. 1823, .. 4. John A. b. abt. 1825, .. 5. Jane b. Sept. 1826.

Would like to exchange info.

Thanks,

Edward King

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: McInnis
Although my interest is in Euphemia McInnis Dawkins and her descendants I have acquired a little info about Jesse and his family that should be helpful.

First, a bit of background with info from Keahey genealogists to set the stage. This geneaogist contends that there is a strong possibility that the Jane Dawkins, widow of George, who obtained 100 acres of land on Drowning Creek in Richmond County from John MacKeahey in 1811 was a MacKeahey.

Also mentioned in referring to Jessee Dawkins and his family was the source of his information, the family Bible in the possession of Edna Dawkins Hurley, granddaughter of William McKeahey Dawkins. The names and dates given on Dawkins Family Genforum post #57 are likely from this Bible.

Jesse Dawkins lived on the undivided estate of his mother which consisted of three adjacent tracts of land, a total estimated to be 340 acres, on both sides Drowning Creek until his death in 1852. After his death Euphemia and three of her children petitioned the Richmond County Court of Equity for a settlement. At that time Jesse owned 2/5 interest, his brother 1/5, William McKeahey Dawkins 1/5 and a nephew in Texas 1/5.

The court proceedings contain much more genealogical information and appear in printed form entitled ESTATE RECORDS 1772-1933 RICHMOND COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA BOOK I by Myrtle N. Bridges.

Hope this helps,

Edward King

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 9:20PM GMT
Surnames: Dawkins, Keahey, Deaton
Thank you so much, Edward.

This book "The court proceedings contain much more genealogical information and appear in printed form entitled ESTATE RECORDS 1772-1933 RICHMOND COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA BOOK I by Myrtle N. Bridges." - is it available for purchase anywhere? Or via Interlibrary loan?

I am a retired librarian, so I'll see if it is available at some library. However, I live in Portland,Oregon, so they may not let me borrow it. Any tips on how I can get hold of a copy would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Diana Bradley

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 12:58AM GMT
Surnames: McInnis
Diana,

Myrtle Bridges is administrator of the Richmond County GenWeb site. It is first-class and as is all her work. There you will find links to the books that are offered.

You will be able to browse the index to the volume I mentioned. There are a number of Dawkins entries but a good percentage of them are from unrelated lines and/or from other lines descending from of Jesse's grandfather. A very small number there today with the Dawkins surname are descendants of John Randolph, brother of William McKeahey.

Let me know if you are unable to obtain a copy of the book and would like for me to copy the applicable portion for you.

I was unable to respond through the Ancestry message link so email me at Mtncrkscot@wmconnect.com if you wish.

Edward King
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions