Search for content in message boards

Calling all Papez / Papesh / Popish families

Calling all Papez / Papesh / Popish families

Posted: 21 Aug 2006 4:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Papez, Papesh, Papish, Popish, Papes
I am initiating a surname study focusing on descendents of the name Papež. This name was typically anglicized to Papes, Papesh, Papish, and Popish. In German language records, the name is typically written as Papesch. While the focus is Slovenia, there were similar names in Croatia, Hungary, Austria, Italy, Serbia, Montenegro, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, and Russia.

Underway is a Y-chromosome DNA study hosted by Relative Genetics at: http://relativegenetics.com/genomics/search/projectprospect.....

All families with similar surnames regardless of country/area of origin are encouraged to join. The purpose is to gain an understanding of how ancestors with these similar surnames may be related before paper records existed. In many Slavic languages (including Slovenian), the word Papež means 'Pope' and was presumably applied to a person who resembled the head of the church.

Similar surnames which may or may not be related are Papas or Pappas from Greece, Popich or Popic from Croatia/Serbia, and Papst, Papsh or Pabst from Germany.

My ancestor, Janez Papež, arrived in 1899 in Colorado from the Suha Krajina region of Slovenia (then part of the Austrian Empire). This area is southeast of the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana, near Žužemberk and Novo Mesto and included the parishes of Hinje and Ambrus.

Re: Calling all Papez / Papesh / Popish families

Posted: 5 Aug 2011 12:09AM GMT
I have just gotten on this site, and am wondering what happened with the research on DNA?
My grandfather was Michael Papesh; we are Slovak. He was from a small village near Poprad in the northeast corner, near the Tatras.

Would love to hear from you regarding this.

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: MEGLEN, HOCEVAR, PAPES, SKEBE, PAPESH, MIKLIZH
My paternal Grandmother was Maria HOCEVAR, b 29 Dec 1878, at Primcavas 19, Ambrus to Michael HOCEVAR and Mrgeta PAPES, b. 2 Jul 1847 at Visnje 20, Ambrus, to Anna SKEBE and Martin PAPESH, b, 7 Nov 1805, at Vishne 20, [Visnje #20 'Mrak doljni'] (7 siblings,) born, to Gertrud MIKLIZH and Matthaeus PAPESH b 20 Sep 1779 @ Vishne 20(?), Ambrus (4 siblings), his second wife. he also had 4 children by his first wife Nesha BOBEN.

My GM emigrated in 1912 to Mt. Iron, St. Louis County, MN to join my GF, Johann MEGLEN. The geography is consistent with your post.

Posted: 9 Aug 2011 2:32PM GMT
Hello,

We have been actively collecting y-dna for a while now, and we've found a wide range of haplogroups for this surname and its variants. While mainly focusing on Slovenia, we have one result from Slovakia for a Papez family with ancestors near Bratislava.

What our research has shown is that the name was adopted by unrelated groups in many places. It might be useful for a male Papesh from your family to be tested for comparison with our other Slovak descendant.

-Tony Popish

Posted: 10 Aug 2011 3:42PM GMT
Hi Bill,

You and I have corresponded in the past. I have not yet found a connection between our Papez families in Ambrus parish. My ggf was Janez Papez, b. 8-Mar-1876 in Brezovi Dol 34. His father was Anton Papez, b. 25-May-1844 Gradenc 9, Hinje parish.

The y-DNA results from almost all representatives from the Suha Krajina region of Slovenia are consistent with having a common ancestor within the last few hundred years.

-Tony Popish

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 3:16PM GMT
I have just started to research my family and found that my great grandfather Georganine Papez migrated here making me a third generation American. My spelling on Georganine is most likely wrong. Jerry Papesh was my grandfather and my father was Frank.

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 4:42PM GMT
If you are on Facebook you can join my group. We have all kinds of expertise who can help you get started.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/183735961660531/

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 9:16PM GMT
Just sent a request

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 9:35PM GMT
Hello,

Do you have an idea when your Papez ancestor immigrated to the US, and where he settled? Was he from Slovenia?

I'd be glad to share information from my pretty extensive research on these surnames.

Regards,
Tony Popish

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 9:41PM GMT
I only learned about him a few weeks ago at my Uncle Edward's funeral. I was told that my great grandfather was from Slovinia.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions