Search for content in message boards

Frank Carroll

Frank Carroll

Posted: 26 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Apr 2002 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
Looking for Carroll's from County Leitrim. My great grandfather was born in County Leitrim between 1849 and 1852 and moved with his family to Liverpool when he was an infant. His father's name, we think, was Henry. And, his mother's name, we think was Sarah or Mary. Does anyone have any connections to this family? Thank you.

Re: Frank Carroll

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 4:03PM GMT
My great-great grandfather was Henry Carroll. He was born in NYC and married Mary Hickey. They had a daughter named Marion who was born in CT.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 6:21PM GMT
Hello Alissa: Nice to know that my inquiry of fourteen years ago has been noticed. My Great Grandfather Frank Carroll had relatives in New York City, I was told. He settled in Gloucester, Mass and had my grand father Henry Carroll. Do you have any living Carroll relatives interested in getting involved in the Carroll Surname Y-DNA project. Paper trails disappear and linking to living relations can happen now through DNA. Regards, Mike Carroll

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 12:11AM GMT
Hi my name si Kevin Carroll. My father was Frank Carroll born in NYC to Patrick Carroll from Bessbrook Arnagh I would be interested in DNA project

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 6:00AM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, Sheehan, Carr, Gillespie, Smiddy, Dunne, Farrell, McGinley
Hello Kevin:

To get involved in the Carroll Y-DNA project click on:

http://www.carrollroots.com/ and

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/carroll/

Please note that your Carroll line most likely will be related to the Clan Colla group since your paternal line came from County Armagh. I am related to the Clan Cola. My Y-DNA kit number is #31491. Any questions, feel free to ask me.

Regards, Mike Carroll

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 4:05PM GMT
Surnames: CARROLL

I would like to add to Mike’s good advice. Peter Biggins has recently become co-administrator of the CARROLL DNA project and is eager to help where needed. His email address is listed at the http://www.familytreedna.com/public/carroll/ website.

Be sure to order your DNA kit through the CARROLL project to get the group discount. Order as many markers as possible for your budget. Our large research group only found the DYS425=0 marker, which has proven invaluable in our research, by ordering the Y-DNA 67 test. I believe 37 markers is the very minimum that one should order.

Lura

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 9:06PM GMT
Lura is right. The first place to go for Carroll Y-DNA is the Carroll project. And you should test at least 67 markers. Anyone who has tested less than 67 markers should upgrade to 67.

One of the things we have learned from Y-DNA testing is that practically all surnames have multiple unrelated origins. And the name Carroll is no exception. These multiple origins can be identified with SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms) and markers. My job is to figure out what category you belong to. The results table for the Carroll project has 14 categories to differentiate participants by origin.

66 Carrolls have tested 67 markers. Of these 60% fall into categories that have known historic origins. The men in these categories have Y-DNA that matches a set of surnames (not just Carroll) that are said to be related in ancient pedigrees. These categories are shown below, together with suggestions of historical projects at FTDNA that these participants should join.

•15 in Clan Colla. These participants should join the Clan Colla DNA project.
•11 in Ely Carroll. These participants should join the Ely Carroll DNA project.
•10 in Niall of the Nine Hostages. These participants should join the M-222 Northwest Irish DNA project.
•2 in Irish Type II/South Irish. These participants should join the South Irish DNA project and the Eoganachta DNA project.
•1 in Brian Boru (L21, Z253, L226). These participants should join the Brian Boru project.

There is a 40% chance of not falling into a known historical origin. These people, however, can still learn from their Y-DNA testing. One of the most valuable thing to learn is the names and email addresses of people with similar DNA. There also are non-historical projects that these people can join to learn more about their origin.

Only men have DNA with a Y-chromosome (Y-DNA). The big advantage of Y-DNA is that it is inherited down the male line like surnames. Women with a certain surname often find a male with the surname to test, such as a brother or male cousin. My wife is a Carroll and we found a male second cousin (198624) who agreed to testing.

I myself have Clan Colla DNA, so I am in the Clan Colla project with 12 Carrolls (not all of the above 15 Carrolls have joined the Clan Colla project, yet).

The easiest way to find a DNA project is to Google it.

Peter Biggins
e-mail: pabiggin@optonline.net

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 10:56PM GMT
how is this different then the DNA offered here on Ancestry? Have any carrolls on here taken the one they offer here?

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 5:31PM GMT
I have used Family Tree DNA for my Carroll DNA testing.

Here is a blog that compares FTDNA and Ancestry:
http://dna-explained.com/2012/08/14/y-dna-family-tree-dna-vs...

I personally believe that Family Tree DNA is far better than Ancestry DNA.

Take a look at the Carroll project at FTDNA, which is at:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/carroll

Then, try to find something like it at Ancestry.

Or, Google "Carroll DNA" and see what comes up.

Peter Biggins

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 3:47PM GMT
I just SAW YOUR NAMR, LOOKIING FOR LUCILLE CARROL FROM vA >
per page

Find a board about a specific topic