Search for content in message boards

Steamships from Italy

Steamships from Italy

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Motto, Mottola
Looking for anything about the SS San Rocco. This ship was listed on my grandfather's naturalization paprs. He is listed as traveling from Naples, assuming to Ellis Island.

Re: Steamships from Italy

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 4:42PM GMT
Haven't you tried to find his manifest?

I don't see any listing for the San Rocco coming into Ellis Island or New York...
http://www.stevemorse.org/ellis/boatx.html?mode=ny

What exactly is his name and what's on the naturalization papers? What year is the naturalization?

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 6:46PM GMT
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have looked extensively for his name on the Ellis Island website. My grandfather's name was John (Gian) Peter Motto (born 1896)and his Declaration of Intention was 26 Jan 1927. He came over as a child with his father, Joseph (Giuseppe) Mottola (my grand father shortened his surname). Date of arrival is written as 5th Jan 1900. My grandmother's name was Carmella Arena (the Italian women do not take the surname of their spouse.)They had 3 children when they came from Altavilla Silentina, Gian, Pasquale and Theresa Rose. I think I found my Great Grandfather as Guiseppe (sic) Mottola. The age is correct and the town - Altarilla- is close enough, but the ship is different, the Victoria departing from Naples. Ship is listed as San Rocco. I searched the web for a photo of the ship, no results. I was actually quite surprised to see a ship listed on the Decl of Intention...I thought I was home free!! Robin DeRue
Attachments:

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 1:47AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2013 2:06AM GMT
Naturalization records can send you on a wild goose chase.. but even if all the info on them is incorrect, they are still priceless documents to have..

As for young Gian.. here's his passenger list.. traveling under his mom's maiden name...

Name: Giovanni Anna
[Giovanni Arena]
Arrival Date: 2 Jan 1901
Birth Date: abt 1897
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Neaphl
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Werra

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=...

As for the ship being called "San Rocco".. I've never seen it.. I chuckled when I saw this name.. The feast of "St. Roch" is also huge in my Italian town, and is celebrated every year.. procession.. and all. Maybe Gian had a sense of humour?

Under his mothers name.. it can located at the Ellis site as...

First Name: Carmine
Last Name: Aressa
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Salentina
Date of Arrival: Jan 02, 1901
Age at Arrival: 22y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Werra
Port of Departure: Neapel
Manifest Line Number: 0013

Please note the passenger with them...

First Name: Carmine
Last Name: Aressa
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Altavilla
Date of Arrival: Jan 02, 1901
Age at Arrival: 57y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Werra
Port of Departure: Neapel
Manifest Line Number: 0017

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 2:22AM GMT
Surnames: Motto, Mottola, Arena
Thank you so much!! I must admit that I don't think I have enough imagination. I have a friend in Altavilla Silentina that wrote a book called La Merica Altavillese. It is about people from that town that came to the USA. In the book is a published list of immigrants but my grandfather and great grandparents were not in it. I had just about given up when I ordered the naturalization papers and voila! there was the ship's name. You know the rest. It is curious though that his parents were still alive in 1927 when he petitioned. I wonder if he did not expect the question and made something up or maybe they forgot? Forgetting seems unlikely. I'll never know. Thanks again, I learn something new every day in my research. I'm hooked!!

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 3:00AM GMT
Additional info: I think that I found Giuseppi Mottola, my great grandfather, on a different ship's manifest. The age is correct for his birthdate, the year is correct, 19 July 1900, the town is close enough, "Altarilla" but the ship is the Victoria. Manifest line #0028. No wife or children listed.
Robin

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 3:36PM GMT
It does appear that this is your guy!.. Timeline, name, age.. etc..

Quite often "the head of the house" would head over to America, get settled and then have the rest of the family come over later..

Do you need the 1910 census record..? I have seen it..

Glad this worked out for you..

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 2:07AM GMT
I do have the 1910 Census attached to Joseph (Giuseppi) Motto. He was easy to find because most of my mother's side of the family still lives in the same town along the Ohio river!! My grandfather John was the only son to move out of the area because he didn't want to work in the coal mines any more. I like the information you found as well. I think your info is the remainder of the familly coming over. I think I have two ships now... the Victoria and the Werra. The San Rocco reference sure threw me for a loop, I'm not quite sure what to think of that. I will be asking some of the family if they remember anything...its worth a try. Thanks so much for your input, sometimes a little shove in another direction is helpful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions