Search for content in message boards

immigration name change

immigration name change

Posted: 4 Sep 2006 3:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CHERRY CZERY CERI
I am researching the Cherry family who immigrated to Pennsylvania in 1884 from Hungary/Austria Assuming the hame CHERRY was given in America, I want to find the origional name.

In the1900 US census Michal CHERRY lives in North Fayette, Allegnhey PA and his wife MARY and children Annie, mary, Jennie, Andy and three borders Michael Bracher, John Margon and Charlie Swallogich.

Any information and suggestions appreciated

Re: immigration name change

Posted: 5 Sep 2006 2:38PM GMT
Cherry is Češnja in Slovene, if that helps. Kirsche in German.

Greetings,
T I N A

B. Lapajne, Ph.D. (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2006 5:06PM GMT
What religion were your Cherry ancestors? According to immigration records there are many Kirschner arriving in the US at various times. Some of these are Jewish according to their given names. Many of the Kirschner are from Germany, Austria, etc. Kirschner is the closest to Cherry in German, as a surname. There are no records of any people who had Slovenian surnames that mean Cherry in English.

There is a Michael Kirschner who arrived in Sept. 1884, and was born in 1872. However, he can be found in New York in the 1900 census with his wife Adele and family.

I would suggest finding the marriage record for your Michael and Mary, or possibly the birth records of the children. It is very unlikely that his surname was changed during immigration. He probably changed it after he settled in the US. Rather than trying to look for possible names which translate into Cherry, I would suggest trying to go with what you have. ie. the paper-trail on Michael and Mary, until you exhaust all avenues there. There may be a clue in the marriage or birth records, or in his naturalization application. If you know that he lived in Allegheny PA during the entire time, try looking at local newspapers if there is any official notice of a name change.

Mary (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2006 6:48PM GMT
You might want to look for a Slovenian surname spelling that sounds like we pronounce cherry.

I found this with Svete=Sweet (U.S.) and Ticar=Teacher (U.S.). Unless the imigrant new how to spell, some of these names were written as they sounded to whoever was recording them as they entered the US and registered at various locations.

I don't know that it would necessarily mean that they took the name Cherry because of the meaning of the Slovenian surname.

Mary

Posted: 5 Sep 2006 9:59PM GMT
5 people passed through Ellis Island with the surname Czeri between 1901-1907, from Hungary aka Austria/Hungary Empire.

2 with the spelling Czery...one from Russia the other Russian/Polish.

Mary

mary (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2006 10:12PM GMT
Have you acquired his naturalization papers? I would look at the spelling Czeri or Czery or Cherry. 1910 Census said their language was Slovakia. This is not Slovenian. Look to Czech, Hungary possibly Prussia. His naturalization papers will give more specifics.

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 9:55AM GMT
Edited: 25 Feb 2013 9:59AM GMT
Kirschner is not slovenian - is a german name.
as people with german-orgin also were in Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Rep. -areas also to find there.
also jewish people took often german words for lastnames.

orgin is at the profession "Kürschner" from old-high-german word kürsenaere = animal fur worker;
which is a loanword from old-russian "krzno" = fur -> middle-high-german "kürsen"

an interpretation to german word Kirsche = cherry is not correct ;)

slovenian svete = holy
to understand that they have taken sweet then because of pronouncing :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions