Search for content in message boards

List of ships arriving in NY from Le Havre 1886-1887

List of ships arriving in NY from Le Havre 1886-1887

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 11:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have searched Ancestry up, down and sideways to find the entry of ancestors to no avail. From other sources, I've narrowed down that they should have arrived in NY from Le Havre sometime between June 1886 - 20 May 1887. I am now at the point that I would be willing to "flip" through page by page the ships' manifests looking for possibles; I figure the name was transcribed incorrectly at some point. Since I know the 3 traveling together, I was going to scan for a family group. However, I need to know the ships and their arrival dates during that time span, to start.

I've found where I can pick a date to search but it does not tell me until I actually get into the manifest, the point of departure. It would speed the process up if I could focus just on the ships that left Le Havre for NY during that specific time period.

Is there such a list somewhere? Thanks

Re: List of ships arriving in NY from Le Havre 1886-1887

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 6:21PM GMT
Edited: 30 Mar 2013 6:24PM GMT
Not what you want, but a list of ships arriving by date can be found at: http://www.stevemorse.org/ellis/boatx.html?mode=ny

But this one should help
http://www.stevemorse.org/ellis/boat2.html

but before you do that, check out the other utilities at stevemorse.org for Castle Garden. Are you sure they arrived in NY and not Boston or Philadelphia or Canada or ????

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 11:41AM GMT
Thank you for the information.

No I am not positive that they arrived in NY, though 4 other waves of direct family did just before and after these dates, so I am working on the presumption that they did as well.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 2:27PM GMT
To find elusive passengers.. especially if you've tried everything.. I do this..

Sounds a bit painful .. but it's worked for me...

1) Search by given name only - I have no problem going through a 1000 names if I have to...

2) In the search field.. use the SURNAME as the given name.. sometimes names are transposed..

3) Post the names of the people you are looking for.. along with a year of birth.. What have you got to lose? A second set of eyes doesn't hurt..

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 8:36PM GMT
Surnames: Mori, Soncini
Oh yes, I've searched on only given names such as just "Matteo" aged 0-2 years old (YOB 1885 or 1886) during the time period, I've searched on just "Francesco" ( YOB ~1861 the father) but that is like searching on "John" and unfortunately the most unusual first name "Wilhelmina" (YOB 1863 the mother) does not show up at all and I've tried all the various Italian or French spellings of that name (Filomena, Philomena, Guglielma etc). I have a feeling she may have used one of her other given names, though I do not know what they are. I know her siblings had multiple given names so it is safe to presume she did as well.

I have not tried transposing the family name (Soncini) for the given names or the mother's maiden name (Mori) either. I'll try that next.

I've found the SteveMorse search engine helpful and it narrowed down the number of ships whose manifests I must page through to about 75 ships...so that is where I am now.

I've asked for a document from New Jersey that I hope shows Wilhelmina's other or original name(s)as it was created very shortly after they were to have arrived in the USA. Hopefully I'll know more in a few weeks.

Thanks for the suggestions.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic