Search for content in message boards

Smith's in Pittsylvania Co., VA

Smith's in Pittsylvania Co., VA

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 10:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
Seeking other researchers who are interested in these Smith lines from Pittsylvania Co., VA.

Starting with my great-grandmother & going backwards:

1. Callie Frances Smith b. 1888 in Museville, Pittsylvania Co., VA, d/o -

2. John Christopher Smith m. Louisa Craft Wood, s/o -

3. Ralph Smith m. Ardinna Wright, s/o -

4. George Kenan Smith m. Susan "Sukey" Adkins, s/o -

5. George Smith m. Beheathland Brent or Dade.

George was born 06/14/1740 in Stafford Co., VA & moved to Pittsylvania Co., VA on Tomahawk Creek abt. 1776.

I have the children of all these ancestors. Anyone interested in exchanging info or if I can help, please let me know!

Re: Smith's in Pittsylvania Co., VA

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 7:58PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2006 3:39AM GMT
Hi Hank
I am searching for any info on my gr-grandfather, Wm. D. Smith, b. in Va. 1830, m Sophronia in Mo 1856, lived in Ind. Terr. 1900, d before 1910. Anything? Thanks

Posted: 24 Mar 2006 1:45AM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2006 1:48AM GMT
Hello,

Do any of your Smith's have connections to Franklin Co, VA? Do you have a Riley/Wiley Smith in your line?

Thanks.

Toni Smith

Willard Bacon (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2006 2:30PM GMT
Do you have a William Smith born 1799, in your list. He later moves on to Caswell County, N.Carolina, then on to Missouri.

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 3:06PM GMT
Surnames: Smith Dade Brent
I too am a descendant of George and Beheathland Smith. Their daughter Beheathland married my ancestor John Lawrence in 1788. Two questions:

First, I am unaware that they had a son named George Kenan Smith. According to what I've found, George and Beheathland had three children born in Stafford County: 1) Catherine (b. 24 Mar 1760), 2) Sarah (b. Mar 1762) and 3) Beheathland (b. 16 Apr 1772). I have found a record stating that George married Delilah Thomason on 27 Oct 1793. It appears they had at least two children: 1) Lucy (b. 1784) and 2) Jabez (b. 1787?). Where does your George Kenan Smith fit?

Second, I've been trying to unravel the Beheathland Brent Dade versus Beheathland Brent problem. It seems unlikely that George Smith's wife was Beheathland Brent, as I've found reports that she married John Fitz Patrick (or Fitzpatrick), and the two are buried next to each other in clearly marked graves behind their old home in Pittsylvania County, Virginia. Have you found anything that proves whether our ancestor was a Brent or a Dade?

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 1:35PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Brent, Dade
I don't have all my research notes with me right now, but this is what I have:

George Smith
b. 14 Jun 1740 in Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co., VA
d. 1809 in Pittsylvania Co., VA
m. 1759 in Stafford Co., VA to
Beheathland Brent ?Dade?
b. 1734 Lancaster Co., VA
d. 1787 in Pittsylvania Co., VA

Notes: George Smith, a private of bedford Co., VA was enrolled as a pensioner on 14 May 1809 at the age of 94 years and was in Col. Alexander Spotswood's Company July 1777. (Ages & dates do not match up!)

Some sources say he is the son of John Smith, b. ? and d. 1764 Halifax, VA. Other sources say he is the son of Nathaniel Smith and Elizabeth Unknown. Nathaniel is the son of Joseph Smith.

Some sources state Beheathland was the daughter of James brent, b. 1705 in VA, d. 1750 in VA and Catherine Newton, b. 1706 in VA, d.1761 in VA. Other sources state she was the daughter of Robert Dade and Elizabeth Harrison, dates unknown.

Their issue:

1. Catherine Smith
b. 24 Mar 1760 in Stafford Co., VA

2. Sarah Smith
b. ?? Mar 1762 in Stafford Co., VA

3. Beheathland Brent Smith
b. 16 Mar 1771 OR 16 Apr 1772 in St. Paul's Parish, Stafford Co., VA
d. 19 Nov 1857 in Walker Co., GA
m. 03 Sep 1788 in Pittsylvania Co., VA to
John Lawrence

4. George Kenan Smith
b. 1778 near Museville, Pittsylvania Co., VA
d. 1845 on Tomahawk Creek, Pittsylvania Co., VA
m. 18 Aug 1806 in Pittsylvania Co., VA to
Susan "Sukey" Adkins
b. 1787 in VA
d. 1851 on Tomahawk Creek, Pittsylvania Co., VA
Notes: Both buried on their old home place on Tomahawk Creek.

5. Lucy Smith
b. 1784 in Pittsylvania Co., VA
m. 22 Nov 1800 to
John Watson, Jr.

6. Jabez Smith
b. 02 Mar 1787 in Pittsylvania Co., VA
d. 08 Nov 1855 in Jacobson Co., MO
m. 1) 01 Nov 1827 in Pittsylvania Co., VA to
Susan Royster
d. 29 Jul 1844 in Pittsylvania Co., VA
m. 2) 25 Dec 1851 in Pittsylvania Co., VA to
Ann Eliza Kean
Notes: Jabez took 400 slaves to Missouri with him, and was a rich and well known man.

Somewhere in my notes it states that 4th son of George Kenan Smith was named Jabez after his (George's) brother, and that my ancestor Ralph Smith (2nd son of G.K.) told stories of his Uncle Jabez who moved to Missouri.

As for the Beheathland Brent Dade situation, it's been over 2 years since I've even looked at the situation, so you are probably more caught up on it than I am. But I was just as perplexed, and could never find definitive proof either way.

Posted: 20 Apr 2007 12:36PM GMT
Okie...the note I have is that a George Smith married Delilah Thomason 27 Oct 1782 in Pittsylvania County. If this is correct, then it couldn't have been our George, as Beheathland didn't pass until 1787, and I don't think they were divorced.

The other proof I have right off hand are the will of George Smith, with George K. Smith as the first witness, and two title deeds with Jabez selling George K. the lands on Tomahawk Creek where all my line came from and a note with all 6 of George and beheatland's children listed.

Here are the notes of Blandford Towler: (Smith notes 2nd half)

http://www.rootsweb.com/~vapittsy/Jonesgen.html

Posted: 21 Sep 2009 11:15PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Adkins, Anderson,
I can't explain any of this anymore. I stop at George K Smith. I have a typed reference that the name is George Kendrick Smith and found on the internet another reference to his mn being Kendrick. I vote for Kendrick.

According to the on line reference George Smith's wife's last name is Kendrick or has a connection to Kendrick family, and one of the children is George Kendrick Smith.

The author of the typewritten reference states their great great grandmother is a Kendrick and reference to Richard Mortimer Anderson's grandparents being Nancy Smith and Watt Otey Anderson. ( a specific reference).

I do see George K Smith on George Smith's will. But he only mentions 3 children as recipients. So, I guess I cannot say that's necessarily a father son connection between the 2 Georges.

The Jabez account is attached to my typed reference. So, that part is correct as far as that Jabez being part of this Smith branch.

My grandmother is Mary Smith. Her parents were George (go figure) and Eliza Smith. Ralph and Adennie Wright are my great great grandparents. Then there's George K and Susan Adkins.

I would like to get past the George Smith ordeal. If anyone has further info that would be just peachy.

Posted: 22 Sep 2009 1:29PM GMT
Do you have a William Smith born 1799 in your data base. I have him born in N.C. but am not sure. If we have a match I'll be glad to share all I have of this William Smith who is in Caswell County N.C. when I identify him. willbacon@charter.net

Posted: 25 Sep 2009 10:11PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Kendrick, Adkins, Wright, Anderson
I too would like to find some proof of the correct parentage of George K. Smith. Kendrick is a possibility of his middle name, too bad there are no found documents giving anything other than just the middle initial. At the very last of the Smith Family history it states his name as Kenan but offers no proof. There were several descendants with the middle name Keen.

If Geo. K is not a son of George & Beheathland, he could possibly be a nephew? There is definitely a strong relation, as Geo. K. named one of his sons Jabez. The first reference Blandford makes to Geo. K.'s parents was Jabez Smith & Unknown Kendrick. I wish we could find something to back that up & be able to research it.

Blandford does have some discrepancies in her notes. She states Booker Smith, s/o Geo. K., built the R.J. Reynolds tobacco factory. This is not correct as Reynolds didn't begin his operations until after the Civil War & Booker died 20 years before the war began.

According (in her notes) to Dr. George Smith Anderson, Booker's nephew, our line of Smith's were related to R. J. Reynolds wife. I haven't fully explored her lineage, but right off I don't think this is true either.

She states in "War Records of Sons of Ralph Smith" that George & Booker's brother Joseph also served in the Civil War, but Joseph died in 1861 at the age of two.

In "The Smith Family History" she misspelled Ardinna's name & listed birth year wrong. Of course, this could have been a transcriber's mistake.

In Geo. K.'s willhe lists his son Jabez as Jabez Smith Jr. He did this a total of 3 times. Under "Teste" (or witness) there is listed a Jabez Smith, senr. I don't know what to make of this. Geo. K. also witnessed his own will? I didn't know that was possible?

I have more to add but this is enough for today. Your thoughts?

Have you visited any of the graves on the old home places? I'm trying to get relatives still in the area to photograph the stones for me, & I have posted the cemeteries on findagrave.com as the George K. Smith Cemetery & the Ralph A. Smith Cemetery. Someone else posted the John C. Smith Cemetery.

Hank
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions