Search for content in message boards

Louisa County, VA area McGehees

Louisa County, VA area McGehees

Posted: 23 Dec 2002 6:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Anyone interested in exchanging information on the Louisa County/Abermarle County, VA area McGehees, please get in touch.

Re: Louisa County, VA area McGehees

Rulon N. Smithson (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2003 8:50PM GMT
Dean Poignant,

My ancestor FRANCIS SMITHSON c1704-1784 lived in Hanover and Louisa Counties, Virginia 1730s-1750s.

I Saw your web info, and wonder if you have any info on the following.

Rulon N. Smithson

1) SMITHSON TOMS 1797 of Albemarle Co VA -- his line to the McGee's from my best effort on Internet Searches :

Samuel McGehee of Spotsylvania
|
Mary (or Susannah?) McGehee born abt 1740 of Spotsylvania Co VA married John
| Graves John Graves was living in St. Martin's Parish, Louisa Co. VA on
| 31 Oct 1761 and afterwards lived in Spotsylvania Co. VA. )
|
Sarah Graves born 1777 married John Toms of Albemarle County, Virginia
|
SMITHSON TOMS born 1797 of Albemarle County, Virginia.

2) SMITHSON MCGEE 1860 Georgia
MCGHEE, James, Fulton County, page 839; James, no age given, NY, Loco. Foreman; household of R. SMITHSON MCGHEE [MCGEHEE], Jas. M., Harris County, page 513; Jas. M., 41, GA, Farmer; Sarah, 36, GA; Thos, 16, GA; Ida, 10, GA

Posted: 26 Feb 2003 8:16PM GMT
William McGhee b.1761 Louisa Co. VA d. oct. 06, 1843 ILL.
do you know the name of his parents – Joeseph McGehee & Mary Chiles Terrell?

Overton McGehee (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2003 3:49AM GMT
Mr. Poignant,
I would be happy to correspond with you about the McGehees of Louisa, if I can be of any help. I live in Fluvanna County, the county south of Louisa. My great grandfather, Eugene Edmund McGehee grew up in Louisa, and of course most branches of the McGehee family came through Louisa in the early 1700s, before scattering. My father knows a fair amount about some branches of the family and recently put up a tombstone on the grave of Augustine S. McGehee, which had been unmarked. Yours, Overton McGehee

Dean Poignant (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2003 8:15PM GMT
Surnames: McGehee
Dear Mr. McGehee:

Thanks for your response to my McGehee Query. I would very much like to correspond with you regarding our shared ancestry.

I live in Central Illinois, and one of my Crank ancestors, George, married Nancy Ann McGehee, daughter of Samuel McGehee and Elizabeth Ellett. George was born in 1740, and they were married about 1760. Nancy died Sept. 1798, and is buried in Trinity Parrish, Louisa County. Samuel was born in 1706, and died in 1790. Elizabeth died about 1745, in Virginia. As best I can tell, Samuel's parents were Thomas MackGehee and Ann Baystrop, and Thomas' father was Major William Mackgehee.

I have gathered a significant amount of information, and would enjoy talking with you. Again, thanks for the reply. My e-mail is deanpoignant@yahoo.com.

Sincerely,

Dean Poignant

Posted: 7 Jun 2003 1:41PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2006 11:42PM GMT
Michael,
I am a descendant of this William and have been searching for years for his parents. There are several possibilities, but no firm information. I am fairly certain however that he was a brother to the Thomas McGehee, Sr that appears in Montgomery co., with William.
Gladys

pat (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2003 11:40AM GMT
Gladys and Micheal ,I have info on these McGehee's .Please write me privately as I am rarely on these sites anymore with all the advertising etc is too hard to navigate.Pat

E McGhee (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2003 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: McGee McGhee McGehee Smith Montgomery
Dean, I wonder if you or Mr. Overton McGehee can shed any light on my Illinois McGhee/McGee ancestor(s).

The IL state online archive says that James W McGee married Lucinda Smith on June 4, 1863 in Franklin Co IL. (Lucinda's family -- Smith and Montgomery -- had come from Posey/Gibson Co IN, and I have quite a bit on them.) McGee/McGhee and Lucinda had two sons, William Monroe and James marion, before Lucinda's death in 1866.

McGee/McGhee had two sisters, Mary M and Martha J. Beyond that I have no information on his siblings, parents, or ancestors. James W McGee was born in 1841 (although one unsubstantiated source says 1832). He also had some connection to a William Owens in Smith co TN -- this led to a posthumous inheritance that passed to Wm Monroe McGee/McGhee.

I have tracked several lines of McGehee/McGhee/McGee to the S IL area by the early 1800's, including some from Louisa Co VA. Some of the Louisa Co VA McGehee/McGhees also passed through central TN.

I would really appreciate any information you could provide, even if it is information that allows me to 'rule out' particular lines. Thank you!

Dean Poignant (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2003 6:37PM GMT
I'll check my genealogy information when I get home, and try to get back to you soon. Good Luck.

Posted: 2 Nov 2004 3:03PM GMT
Edited: 23 Aug 2005 9:18PM GMT
Surnames: McGehee
Hello...I was wondering if you have ever come across the names of Andrew Jackson McGehee who married Mary Hambleton in 1855. They lived in Louisa/Unionville area. They had a son named George C. McGehee Born 1858 and married Mildred Ann "Hughes" Campbell.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions