Search for content in message boards

deep history

deep history

Posted: 4 Feb 2009 1:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
anyone know of any meanings of the McLennan last name? or anything to do with the family crest of coat of arms?...very intrested please respond. Thank you for Your help!

danny.mclennan@yahoo.com

Danny-

Re: deep history

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 12:35PM GMT
Remember coat of arms/ armorial bearings are given to *a* person...not a family, not everyone with that surname...one specific person.
So any coat of arms you find will have relevance to one person.

Clan Badges are representative of the family and those with that particular surname as well as all septs of that clan.

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 10:37PM GMT
wow I didnt know that, thats very interesting. Now I really dont know much about this stuff and really want to learn more. Who does or did give out the coat of arms to that person?

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 10:58PM GMT
Chief Herald is Lord Lyon.
As a matter of fact in Scotland there are strict laws regarding foisting a coat of arms as your own if it is not (for good reason, if you go have a look it costs somewhere upwards of $8,000 to get a coat of arms *if* you are approved -many are not who apply- )

You can apply if you have an ancestor who once was granted arms for your own.

http://www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon/controller?p_service=Cont...

Posted: 5 Feb 2009 11:00PM GMT
That wasn't very clear was it. If you have an ancestor who was granted a coat of arm/armorial bearings...you can apply to then have a new armorial bearing granted to you with your details. Ancestors may have had trees as he was a deer stalker on an estate where yours may have a fish representing being a mariner etc.

Posted: 10 Feb 2009 9:30PM GMT
Surnames: MacLennan, McLennan
I have Clan MacLennan info if you want to see it. We also have the clan coat of arms as well.
Let me know if my email address is visible or not. I'd rather do this directly.

Posted: 24 Jun 2010 2:51AM GMT
There is family history and information posted on the Clan MacLennan website. You can go to http://www.clanmaclennan-worldwide.com/usa/. From this website you can access Clan MacLennan information from the USA, Canada, Australia, and Scotland. My name is Eileen MacLennan Johnson and I am currently the Clan Secretary here in the USA. Feel free to send me a message here on Ancestry and I can respond with additional information for you.

Re: deep history.. for attn of Eileen Mclennan Johnson

Posted: 15 Jul 2010 11:58AM GMT
Surnames: mclennan
hello Eileen, have just seen your "deep history" and noticed your name as Eileen Mclennan Johnson, My father had 5 sisters, 2 of which married 2 Canadian brothers named Johnson in WW1 and went back to Canada after the war.their n ames was Jessie Ann Mclennan Johnson and Margaret Mclennan Johnson . i just wondered if there is any connection. i believe one family did move to U,S.A sometime later.if you would like to see my Mclennan/Rainbow Family tree please let me know .. Regards Ken Mclennan

Posted: 15 Jul 2010 4:16PM GMT
Sorry not related that way. I married a Johnson. My MacLennan roots come from my great grandfather who came from Scotland.

Posted: 2 Jan 2011 6:33AM GMT
In that case would that be anything to do with Dan McClennan who left Scotland for New Zealand, married Bridget Ellen Ryan, had a son Daniel Gladstone McClennan?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions