Search for content in message boards

SS Athenic

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 10:16AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Where can I locate the ships logs for the Athenic from Shaw Savill & Albion Line. In particular the voyage which departed Southampton 29 June 1922 and the passage to Cape Town.

Re: SS Athenic

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 7:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
I understand that you really mean the ship log and not the passenger list?

Regards,

Thomas
Posted: 20 Apr 2013 8:55PM GMT
Yes, I actually mean the ships voyage log. Apparently there was an incident on board after departure from Southampton which resulted in two people being locked in the brig and then discharged in Cape Town.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 9:56PM GMT
Captains' Logs which had to be deposited by law at the end of every voyage mostly ended up in the National Archives. However they apparently ran out of space after about 15 miles and most of it was transferred to the Maritime History Centre at the University of St. John's, Newfoundland. Google will guide you. You could also Google Shaw, Savill and Albion and see what archives are available as any outstanding incident would probably have been cause for a special report as well as being noted in the Captain's log.

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 10:04PM GMT
Another thought. If it concerned some sort of ruckus with crew, their contract would be under "Agreement with Crew" and would end as soon as they were put ashore. In this case it may well be that there could be some sort of record at the Register of Seamen and Shipping, Cardiff.

Posted: 8 Jun 2013 1:31PM GMT
The ship's log you want is in the Maritime History Archive in Newfoundland. To access it you need the ship's official number which is 115239 & they will send you copies for which you have to pay. You might be better trying newspaper archives which are often online. Try Google if you have not already.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic