Search for content in message boards

ss Prinz Frederick Willhem 1920

ss Prinz Frederick Willhem 1920

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 6:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GIBB
I HAVE FOUND THIS INFORMATION IN ANOTHER PART OF THIS WEBSITE about this ship.....

"........In August 1914, on the outbreak of WW1 she took refuge at Odda, Norway and on 31/3/1919 surrendered to Britain, who chartered her to the US Navy Dept.
In 1920 she was chartered to Canadian Pacific who used her on the Liverpool - Quebec service, starting on 14/7/1920.
In 1921 she was bought outright by Canadian Pacific from the Reparations Commission and reconditioned at Glasgow.........."

BUT

I have a passenger list for this ship from sailing from Liverpool to Bombay. on 10th Nov 1920 on which my father Lt A.R.Gibb- Army was a passenger.

Question: Why, if the ship was designated to sail between Liverpool & Quebec to repatriate American WW1 troops was it en route to India ?
Where can I find more information about this liner and, more particularly, more detail about the Army Regiment/Unit my Father may have been with?
Richard

Re: ss Prinz Frederick Wilhelm 1920

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 6:29PM GMT
Edited: 20 Apr 2013 6:34PM GMT
Hi

here http://www.schiffe-maxim.de/Prinz-Friedrich.htm the editor states that the vessel made 3 trips from Liverpool and Quebec and one from Liverpool (?) and Bombay in the period Canadian Pacific had chartered the vessel ( 1920).
I think you noticed that some lines in the passenger list were crossed out. So was the line with your father´s name.
I do not know whether this definitely means their passage ( with this vessel ) had been cancelled.

Regards,

Thomas

Re: ss Prinz Frederick Willhem 1920

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 10:31PM GMT
Prinz Friedrich Wilhelm was built in 1908 for Nord-deutscher Lloyd. She was ceded to Canadian Pacific in 1920 as part of war reparations. 1921 she was re-named Empress of China, later Empress of India. In 1922 she was again re-named Montlaurier, and in 1925 re-named twice more to Monteith and Montnairn. She was scrapped in 1929. It looks as though CPR did not have much use for her and just put her down the scale. In 1920 she would still have been doing her "wartime reparations" thing, not fully owned by CPR, and someone in the government just wanted an extra ship to send to Bombay. Take a look at "theshipslist" and "shipnostalgia" - plenty of details on almost anything that floated. Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic