Search for content in message boards

What happened to Amelia Littleton, nee Moffatt- wife of Captain William Henry ''Bully'' Hayes?

What happened to Amelia Littleton, nee Moffatt- wife of Captain William Henry ''Bully'' Hayes?

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 7:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Aug 2012 7:55AM GMT
Surnames: HAYES, LITTLETON, MOFFATT
Hi, I am trying to find information about my 3x Ggrandmothers sister Amelia Moffatt, who married William Henry ‘Bully’ HAYES in Australia in 1857, sailed away with him and was never heard of again.

Amelia Moffatt was born April 1827 in Westminster, London. Her family emigrated to South Australia where she married William Littleton in Adelaide in 1854. William Littleton died and on the25 Aug 1857 Amelia Littleton ‘the prettiest and liveliest widow in Adelaide’ married William Henry Hayes, known infamously as Bully Hayes. In 1858 they left Australia from Melbourne on the 'Orestes' for Honolulu. They then left Hawaii on the barque 'Adelaide' for San Francisco. Bully Hayes left San Francisco on the 'Ellenita' in 1859 but his wife Amelia stayed behind.

There has been much written about Bully Hayes and it makes a good story. I have read whats available. I am not interested in hearsay, but am looking for the type of records available on ancestry, about Amelia Hayes.

One dubious source says Amelia divorced WH in Hawaii, Bully had stated that Amelia was his only legal wife so I don’t think they divorced.
Other stories say she lived in Los Angeles, even having a pub or boarding house, and was said to be living in California in 1914 when her Australian family tried to find her.

It would be great if I could find some American record of Amelia Hayes.

Alison

Re: What happened to Amelia Littleton, nee Moffatt- wife of Captain William Henry ''Bully'' Hayes?

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 5:51PM GMT
Is Amelia hayes a common name ? Cause I found this from 1891

891 Wales Census about Amelia Hayes
Name: Amelia Hayes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1827
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Edward Hayes
Where born: Llangoed, Caernarvonshire, Wales
Civil parish: Llanfairfechan
Ecclesiastical parish: Llanfairfechan
Town: Llanfair fechan
County/Island: Caernarvonshire
Street Address: View image
Condition as to marriage: View image
Education: View image
Employment status: View image
Registration district: Bangor
Sub-registration district: Bangor
ED, institution, or vessel: 18
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 4667
Folio: 151
Page Number: 17
Household Members:
Name Age
Edward Hayes 70
Amelia Hayes 64
Hugh Rowlands 24

Re: What happened to Amelia Littleton, nee Moffatt- wife of Captain William Henry ''Bully'' Hayes?

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 6:01PM GMT
The Amelia Hayes in SF wouldn't be her due to the birthdate of that Amelia

1930 United States Federal Census about Amelia Hayes
Name: Amelia Hayes
Birth Year: abt 1894
Birthplace: California
Race: White
Home in 1930: San Francisco, San Francisco, California
View Map
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Lodger
Father's Birthplace: New York
Mother's Birthplace: New York

Education:

Military Service:

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 6:08PM GMT
I was just reading about Bully Hayes.. I can see why he got his name .. he was known for Blackbirding.. maybe her disappearnce was due to some of the things he did to people.. maybe he made her disappear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_Hayes

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 7:25PM GMT
I don't know whether these are the correct people:

San Francisco Bulletin
February 27, 1864
page 5

DIVORCED. -- In the Fourth District Court, in the case of Amelia Hayes vs. W. H. Hayes, application for divorce on the grounds of desertion was granted.
---------------------------------

In an 1862 article in the same paper Bully Hayes is referred to as "Capt. W. H. Hayes" and states that he left San Francisco about 1859 without his wife and had not returned.

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 7:53PM GMT
Did Amelia have children? If she did, names and dates and places of birth would help in a search for her.

The age is off, but is this a possibility?

1860 CA San Francisco, 10th District June 5

[lodging house]

Amelia LITTLETON, age 23, female, seamstress, born England

-----------------------------

1870 CA San Francisco, 8th Ward

LITTLETON, Amelia, age 30, female, white, keeping house, value of Real Estate: 4000, personal property: 600, born England.

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 8:07PM GMT
during the 1800's many people would give a birth year and then a few years later during another census.. they would list another.. sometimes a year or two off..many times there weren't even birth certificates.

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 8:09PM GMT

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 7:33AM GMT
Thank you both for your fantastic efforts.
It seems the divorce may be the correct one.

I wonder at the census records (are they census?), perhaps she reverted to the name Littleton. Throughout my own searches I have come across others named Amelia Littleton also born in England.

I don't think there were any children, she had none in her 1st marriage of 3 years, and none in the 2 years she was with WH. She was a lady of very fine features, very tiny stature.

I will see if I can find access to the newspaper you have mentioned to see if there are any further references.

The site you have refered to is a very good site about Bully Hayes- not as sensational as the newspaper articles and books which were written about him.

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 4:56AM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2012 4:59AM GMT
I found a second newspaper article which provides evidence to support that the divorce case mentioned in the 1864 San Francisco newspaper is the Amelia and W. H. HAYES you are researching:

Sacramento Daily Union
10 October 1863

San Francisco, October 9th

Amelia Hayes sues William H. Hayes for divorce. They were married, August 25th, 1857, in Adeliade, South Australia. On the 27th August, 1859, he deserted her.

-----------------------------

Daily Alta California, San Francisco
10 October 1863

Fourth District Court.

Amelia Hayes commenced suit to-day for a divorce from her husband, Wm. H. Hayes. She says in her complaint that they were married in Australia, in 1857, that he deserted her in this city four years ago, and that she does not know where he is now.
-------------------------

I do not find a later obit or marriage for an Amelia Hayes.

Beth
not related
per page

Find a board about a specific topic