Search for content in message boards

has certificate of arrival -- but not on manifest

has certificate of arrival -- but not on manifest

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 8:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Levitt Feigin Fagin
I just obtained a copy of my great grandmother's naturalization petition from the National Archives. The record includes her certificate of arrival, with the following details:

No. A3 633 704
Name: Froma Liba Levitt
Port of Entry: New York, NY
Date: June 24, 1909
Manner of Entry: S.S. President Grant
Issued: May 15, 1951

Additionally, the naturalization petition reports her birth date as February 15, 1885 and birthplace as Minsk, Russia. Her married name was Fannie (sometimes spelled Fanny) Fagin (sometimes Feigin). According to the petition, she married my great grandfather in Minsk a month before she came to the U.S. -- though he arrived separately after her, in 1910.

Unfortunately, I am unable to locate anyone with a name even close to "Froma Liba Levitt" on the manifest of the ship she supposedly arrived on. I went through the manifest screen by screen on Ancestry.com. I also used Jewishgen's "Accessing Ellis Island Manifests in One Step" tool to go through the original microfilm located on the Ellis Island website. There don't appear to be any pages missing -- they are sequentially numbered from 1 to 42.

Additionally, using search functions on the Ancestry website and on the Jewishgen website (which searches the Ellis Island website), I have been unable to locate anyone with a name like "Froma Liba Levitt" arriving on any ship at any time.

Can anyone explain what could be going on here?

Re: has certificate of arrival -- but not on manifest

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 2:18PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2013 2:31PM GMT
Hi

I think there are some errors.The words on the declaration are somewhat too extraordinary to be a name. I presume frome liba levitt has sth to do with departure in Libau, Latvia. But this is just a guess. Maybe the 1952 record has nothing to do with your Fanny ( see following paragraph).

Do you know the ship´s name your great grandfather arrived on? I have a Mordche Feigin, 26, carpenter from Minsk, aboard the Lapland ( arrival June 1910), but he stated to be single. Destination: brother C Feigin in New Britain, Conn. Arrival data are equal to those stated in the naturalization record from 1928.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 3:34PM GMT
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your response. You did correctly identify the arrival record of my great-grandfather, Morris "Mordche" Feigin. (It remains unclear to me why on the manifest he declared himself "single" and made no mention he was joining a wife in the U.S.)

"Fruma Libe" -- which is how it's usually spelled -- was a woman's name among eastern European Jews, if a quite uncommon one. If you google the name, you'll find a number of examples.

I've successfully identified the arrival records of all my relatives, except this great-grandmother. I'm attaching her certificate of arrival from her naturalization petition, for use by you and other researchers. My presumption is that she provided her arrival name -- "Froma Liba Levitt" -- to the Immigration and Naturalization Service, which was supposed to produce the certificate after checking the ship's manifest (or a microfilm copy of it) and confirming that someone with that name arrived on the given ship on the given day.

By the way, I also can't find "Froma Liba Levitt" -- or any name resembling it -- on the ship's departure manifest from Hamburg, where my great-grandmother supposedly boarded the ship.

So once again, can someone explain what's going on here?

Steve
Attachments:

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 6:37AM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2013 6:43AM GMT
Hi Steve,

ok let´s forget about Libau.
In 1920 census there is no entry abt the year or duration of marriage, unfortunately.
In 1930, there is age at first marriage 27 for Morris and 23 for Fanny. So it is not quite clear if the marriage took place in 1909 or 1910 ( if one considers data as correct).

The only Liebe ( but forename here ) Levit I found arrived on June 22, 1909 aboard the Kaiser Wilhelm II and was too young ( 18). No Frome, Frame with matching surname at all.

In 1930 there is a Urian?? Tergin? ( also born in Minsk) listed directly below the Morris Fergan family with a br i l Nathan Levit(s). Maybe this a hint. But I just noticed that Nathan and his sister Lillian were born in NY. So it should be nothing but coincidence.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 8:07PM GMT
Dear Thomas,

You have again done a good job locating records of my family. Urian (born Urach) Feigin was my great grandfather Morris's younger brother. I've essentially located all the relevant census records for my family (which wasn't so easy to do given lots of surname misspellings.) Urian's wife Lilian was Nathan Levitas's sister. It's possible that Froma Liba Levitt is a relative of theirs (Levitt is close to Levitas), but I know she's not another sibling.

I was aware of the Liebe Levit arrival record from June 22. Definitely not my great grandmother. This Liebe Levit is from the wrong place (Kiev, not Minsk), but more importantly, the Immigration and Naturalization Service made a notation on the manifest which associates this Liebe Levit with another person's naturalization petition and certificate of arrival -- not that of my great grandmother.

Again -- what I'm really seeking to understand is how the Immigration and Naturalization Service appears to have produced a certificate of arrival for my great grandmother that is completely mistaken. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Steve

Posted: 2 May 2013 5:27PM GMT
Have been following this thread with great interest..

Steven, I don't think you are misunderstanding anything. Just mislead.

I have said it so many times that Naturalization documents can lead you on a wild goose chase.

But as soon as I see a certificate of arrival I tend to believe what is actually written on there... most of the time.

A researcher once told me that "they" use a book which has a list of arrivals (dates) and a list of ships which they use to get their information to fill out the certificate without actually looking for the passenger list. But not in all cases..

I've seen it myself with other passengers though.. a Certificate of Arrival which had the wrong information.. and always had wondered how could this be?? The Certificate of Arrival looks and sounds like a very accurate document.. but it's not..

My question to you now.. does the Certificate of Arrival information match the information that is on the Naturalization documents? Is there anything different at all?

Posted: 2 May 2013 9:34PM GMT
Edited: 2 May 2013 9:35PM GMT
I've also been following this thread.

Note the request went out from the court in 1951. The certificate of arrival number is written on the manifest.... next to the immigrants name..... at least on this manifest through the early 1940s.

So maybe there was a different procedure after that.... or that the manifests were filmed in the 1940s and any subsequent notations on those sheets obviously aren't going to be seen on these pages. I looked through the manifest looking for the certificate number (not any names) and saw the apparent cutoff for the sheet notations.

You might want to send an email to Marian Smith, the Historian at the US Immigration and Naturalization Service who is an expert on these types of records, and if you do and she replies, repeat the information here.

Posted: 3 May 2013 8:01AM GMT
Dear LostQuays,

Thank you for your response. The only other naturalization record I have for my great grandmother is a copy of her petition for naturalization, which I received from NARA, together with the certificate of arrival. The arrival info on the petition matches perfectly with the arrival info on the certificate -- with the added detail on the petition that she embarked on the ship in Hamburg.

I have taken one further step. I just ordered from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services a copy of my great grandmother's consolidated "C-File," which should include additional naturalization documents, like a declaration of intention to naturalize (if she filed one).

Regards,
Steve

Posted: 3 May 2013 8:06AM GMT
Dear Joel,

Thank you for your response. The microfilm for this ship manifest was created in 1944 -- which explains why neither of us can see any cerificate of arrival markings on it after the early 1940s. I don't know whether this means that in producing later certificates of arrival, they just looked at the microfilm for verification, or if they still marked up the original manifest.

Thank you for the excellent suggestion that I contact Marian Smith. I will do so.

Regards,
Steve
per page

Find a board about a specific topic