Search for content in message boards

Janiszewski/Janiszeski in U.P. of Michigan

Janiszewski/Janiszeski in U.P. of Michigan

Posted: 10 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jun 2002 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: Janiszeski, Janiszewski, Ponegalek
My Grandfather migrated from Poland or Russia around 1904. He moved from Pennslyvania to Dillonvale, OH, married Josephine Ponegalek and them moved to the U.P. of Michigan. I wonder if any Janiszewski's in Manistee County might be ancestry? Their marriage certificate is Janiszewski, but since living in the U.P., it has been spelled Janiszeski. Even if you have no answers, would like to hear from you (anyone)
Phil

Janiszewski from Poznan

Donald Janis (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Janiszewski, Janis
My grandfather, Stanley (Stanislaw) Joseph Janiszewski, was born in Poznan (Balin), Poland, in 1865. He arrived in America on May 25, 1889. His wife, Catherine Genevieve Janiszewski (Siatkowska), and their daughter Margaret arrived here in 1890. They settled in Schenectady, NY. (Catherine was born in Poznan in 1873.) One of his sons, Martin Janis, lived most of his life in Detroit, Michigan. In addition, one of his brothers, Walter (Wladislaw), allegedly became the mayor of a small town (city, village) near Chicago, IL.

Re: Janiszewski from Poznan

Posted: 18 Jul 2001 11:15PM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2002 10:54PM GMT
I can't believe that I am so ignorant of my mother's family... but... maybe someone will connect to the following information. My grandfather, Karol Janiszewski, along with his wife Anna Sass Janiszewski, immigrated from Poznan to Pennsylvania around 1900 - 1918. Story has it... he had a twin brother... and they went they're separate ways when they came to the US. My grandparents moved to Chicago, IL sometime shortly after 1918 and changed their name to Andrews! His brother changed his name to Johnson...
Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?

Donald Janis (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2001 1:20AM GMT
Surnames: Janiszewski, Janis
Not ignorant at all. I've been searching for quite a while now and wish I had started earlier. (I keep running into brick walls but have collected some information. I'm told that, in Poland, the name Janiszewski is as common as the name Smith is here in the US.) Now there's only my father's 91 year old sister left. She's a wealth of information. I don't recognize any of the names you provided, but I'll ask her. I do know of a couple Janiszewski ancestors that changed their names to Johnson though. I'll get back to you if my aunt can connect with the info you provided.

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 6:30PM GMT
Edited: 24 May 2002 10:54PM GMT
Surnames: Janiszewski
Isn't it crazy. I am so dissapointed that my grandparents... or mother (who's now deceased) didn't educate us more on my culture... I'm 50% Polish! Thanks though... it's fun just investigating... I can build a whole fantasy ancestry.

tammy (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2002 3:31PM GMT
i know this is my blood line. Walter was a mayor of Whiting.
Who is your mother & father
email me thanks

Donald Janis (Janiszewski) (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2002 1:13AM GMT
Surnames: Janiszewski, Skyrzinska
My father is Henry F. Janis (Janiszewski) and my mother is Theresa H. Janis (Skyrzinska).

Donald Janis (Janiszewski) (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2002 1:19AM GMT
I haven't heard about a twin brother or Pennsylvania, but my granndfather's brother, Walter, settled in the Chicago area and supposedly became Mayor of a town near there, perhaps Whiting.

Re: Janiszewski/Janiszeski in U.P. of Michigan

Posted: 5 Aug 2002 5:37AM GMT
Edited: 14 Sep 2002 3:49AM GMT
my family came from poland in 1904 after my great gram wanda was born in 1904 they came to america to pa.. at the time they came there was stella and wanda born there names were lottie and anthony from poland dound familuar

Posted: 18 Sep 2002 6:14AM GMT
Surnames: Janiszewski
I am SO trying to research many braches of my tree. Wondering if my Janiszewski is the same as yours?? My grandfather is Sigmund Leo Janis (was shortened from Janiszewski a couple of decades ago) from the Griffith/Merrillville, IN areas. I know we have relatives in Hammond, IN...possibly Whiting. I guess it would be just as easy to call Grandpa...but I am hoping that I can find out more info from doing my research as to where our line comes from. Let me know if you belive our lines are the same.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions