Search for content in message boards

Francis Warwick Gatewood

Francis Warwick Gatewood

Jim Gatewood (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gatewood, Beale
Francis Warwick Gatewood was born in Essex County, Va. on 2 June 1800. He married a woman named Beale on 6 September 1822 in Bath County, Va. He died 2 November 1863 in Bath County and was buried in the Warm Springs Cemetery in Bath County. I am seeking information about the children of this couple. I have reason to believe that my gggrandfather John Franklin Gatewood was one of their children. I know that John, who may also have been known as Frank, served in the 55th Virginia Infantry during the Civil War and was assigned to Chimborazo Hospital during the war. He married Ann E. Haley on Dec. 24th 1863 in Richmond. She died on Dex. 24th 1864. John migrated to Pike County , Missouri after the war and married Emma Frances HAley in 1868. Emma was the younger sister of Ann. Any information about the children of Frances Warwick Gatewood will be greatly appreciated.

Gatewood Marriage

Patricia Viellenave (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: GATEWOOD, BEALE
From what source have you found this marriage in Bath Co., VA Sep 6, 1822, I can not locate it.

Children of Francis Warwick Gatewood

Posted: 20 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
In my fist query I asked for information about the children of Francis Warwick Gatewood and Margaret Skillern Beale. I was asked my source for the marriage. According to Carol Gothberg in her book JOHN AND AMY GATEWOOD AND THEIR DESCENDENTS 1666-1986 (Gateway Press, Baltimore 1987)Francis and Margaret were married in Bath County on 6 September 1822. Francis died 2 November 1863 and is buried in Warm Springs Cemetery in Bath Count. Margaret was born in Bath County 30 June 1804 and died 3 February 1894 in Bath County. Buried in Warm Springs Cemetery. At the time of her death she was living with her daughter Elizabeth Jane daughter of Charles Beale. I want to know about children of Margaret and Francis . Can anyone help? Thanks.
Jim Gatewood

Gatewood Marriage reply

Posted: 6 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Thanks for the information about Warwick Gatewood and Margaret Beale's marriage. I thought they were married in Bath County. Marriage recorded in the Gothberg book on page 145. I will check Boutecourt records. John F. first married Ann Haley in Richmond, Va. on Dec 24,1863. After her death giving birth to a daughter Annie on Dec 24,1864, JOHN F. makes his way to Pike Co. Missouri is united with Ann's family and eventually marries her younger sister Emma. I still need help sorting out John F. parents and gparents. Thanks again Holly. Regards Jim GAtewood

Gatewood Marriage

Posted: 6 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Oct 2004 5:10AM GMT
The marriage of Warwick Gatewood and Margaret Beale is recorded in Botetourt county in 1822. I don't have the exact date, but it should be found in any compilation of Botetourt marriages or in the original records.

Jim, the Bath Bicentennial lists their children as: Eliza Jane md. James Woods Warwick, Mary Catherine md. Cesario Bias, Frances Gatewood md. William Kennedy. Be suspicious, as a separate sketch in this book says Warwick's sister Mary Jane married first Wm. Kennedy & 2nd Cesario Bias, and lists Frances as a sister rather than dau. of Warwick. The 1850 Bath census shows only dau. Mary with Warwick & Margaret; you'd think your John F. would've been home with them if he was theirs.

regards,
Holly Cochran

Re: Children of Francis Warwick Gatewood

Posted: 21 Sep 2002 12:50AM GMT
In speculation, from what grandfathers, etc. have said to some of my family members, it's a possibility that there was an unmarried Gatewood lady who gave two of her children, Warwick (or Warrick) and Thomas (who may have really been a Butcher), to a Butcher family to raise. Warwick would have been born on Nov. 6, 1819 and married Mary Margaret Dilley in Nicholas Co. WV Jan. 13, 1845 and carried the Butcher name. Can you connect or do you have any such information? Thanks for trying!

Re: Children of Francis Warwick Gatewood

Posted: 8 Sep 2009 5:18AM GMT
Surnames: Gatewood, Beale, Warwick, Bias
Francis Warwick Gatewood 1800-1863 and Margaret Skillern Beale 1804-1894 had only two children, both girls:

The first - Elizabeth Jane Gatewood 2 August 1823 - 24 December 1898 married James Woods Warwick Sr 1813-1897 on 18 January 1844 in Bath County. She had seven children - six daughters and one son - and died at "Warwickton" in Bath County.

The second daughter was Mary Katherine (Kate) Gatewood 4 September 1827 - 18 March 1874. She married Cesario Bias 1803-1866 on 9 June 1852 in Bath County. She had six children - four daughters and two sons - and also died at "Warwickton."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions