Search for content in message boards

Swearingens Pulaski County Ga 1870-1880 orphans

Swearingens Pulaski County Ga 1870-1880 orphans

Posted: 1 Apr 2002 10:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Nov 2005 11:50AM GMT
Seeking info on Thomas Jefferson Swearingen born Aug 20, 1876 and A. Jackson Swearingen born abt 1874. They are listed as orphans in the household of Noah S Dixon and wife
Rachel Wright Dixon on the 1880 Pulaski County Census.
Thomas Jefferson and A. Jackson later used the surname of
Dixon.
Thanks Bernice

Re: Swearingens Pulaski County Ga 1870-1880 orphans

Jack Clark (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2002 11:40AM GMT
It is my understanding that these two lads were adopted by the Dixons and took the surname Dixon, and can be traced under that name. I was in touch with a decendent a couple of years ago. She did not know who their parents where. Suppostedly Mr Dixon found them at the train depot and brought them home. my guess is that their mother might have been Maranda Swearingen who did not marry but had one child or Sarah M. Swearingen who did not marry but had four known children . Both of these women were living in Pulaski County, GA. Who knows Mr Dixon might have been the father....Jack

Posted: 11 Feb 2014 2:01AM GMT
Hey Bernice,

Maybe Jack's response (below) is acurrate as my DNA shows that my ancestors came from around Ireland and Swearingen is Dutch/German origin.

Did your grandfather allude to anything such as Noah being the father?

Thanks and regards,
Winford

Jack Clark (View posts)

Posted: 26 Apr 2002 9:40PM

It is my understanding that these two lads were adopted by the Dixons and took the surname Dixon, and can be traced under that name. I was in touch with a decendent a couple of years ago. She did not know who their parents where. Suppostedly Mr Dixon found them at the train depot and brought them home. my guess is that their mother might have been Maranda Swearingen who did not marry but had one child or Sarah M. Swearingen who did not marry but had four known children . Both of these women were living in Pulaski County, GA. Who knows Mr Dixon might have been the father....Jack

Posted: 11 Feb 2014 2:05AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Hi Jack,

Your story is interesting as I am the great grandson of TJ Dixon (Swearingen). I had my DNA tested by the Genographic Project by National Geographic and the results showed my ancestors came from somewhere near Ireland and the surname Swearingen seems to be a Dutch/German descent.

Do you have more details about this story or more details about Noah or the mother of TJ and Jackson Swearingen?

Thanks and regards,
Winford Dixon Jr.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic