Search for content in message boards

Searching for Soper Ancestors in St. Lawrence Co

Searching for Soper Ancestors in St. Lawrence Co

Posted: 27 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Apr 2002 10:03AM GMT
Surnames: SOPER, GALLAGHER or GALLINGER, LEWIS
My gg grandfather David SOPER b: July 15,1838 near Ogdensburg.
married Minerva Gallagher/Gallinger Nov 29,1859. David and Minerva migrated to Michigan by 1861 finally settling in Alden/Kalkaska area where David had a sawmill. All 5 children were born in MI. Their son Seymour married Nellie E. LEWIS Jun 1894.
I am searching for David's parents and siblings. If anyone else is researching this SOPER line I would be interested in hearing from you.

Sopers in St lawrence New York

Posted: 8 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: Soper
I also have relatives that stopped in St. Lawrence New York. Joseph Soper who was married to Electa Lake Mansfield, drowned in the St. Lawrence River and buried there. They left New York and moved to Iowa.
Posted: 9 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2002 10:03AM GMT
Surnames: SOPER
Hi Karen,
I don't have a Joseph SOPER in my family tree but since Soper is not a common name I wouldn't rule out a family connection. I descend from David SOPER and Mary STRADER that lived in Lisbon/Madrid.

Soper Family

Posted: 3 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 2:13AM GMT
Surnames: Soper

I have had several requests for information on the Soper family. I spend the winters in Florida and will be following up that name in the material available at the DAR library that they maintain. There is more research material on St. Lawrence County down here than I can lay my hands on up north. Send along your branch that you are looking for and I will try to send you what information I have when I go back up north.

Re: Searching for Soper Ancestors in St. Lawrence Co

Posted: 1 Aug 2003 10:45PM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2003 5:13AM GMT
Surnames: MANSFIELD - SOPER - KASLER
Hi, I am just starting my search on the Soper line. Lovina Naomi SOPER daughter of Electa Lake Mansfield and Joseph SOPER is the line I am working on. Lovina Naomi SOPER m-Abram C KASLER. They are my GGG Grandparents. They are both buried in Bishopville Cem. in Bishopville, Morgan County, OH. I am interested in joining the DAR. I was told at our Kasler Reunion this year that I would be able to join DAR thru the SOPER line. Any and all leads in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.
Willing to share Kasler info. Judy Allard-Allen

Re: Soper Family

Posted: 1 Aug 2003 10:57PM GMT
Surnames: Mansfield - Soper - Kasler
I am interested in joining the DAR thru the SOPER line. Lovina Naomi SOPER (daughter of Electa Lake Mansfield and Joseph SOPER) m- Abram C Kasler. Lovina and Abram are my GGG Grandparents. Any help in where to start would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to hearing from you. Judy Allard-Allen

Re: Soper Family

Michelle Daniel (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2003 12:59AM GMT

I don't think that your Joseph Soper is in my family line.
My line is David Soper b: VT, md: Mary Strader
Henry Soper b: 1819 NY, md: Hannah Thompson
David Soper b: 1840 NY, md: Minerva Gallenger
Seymour Soper b: 1876 MI

Brian Tabor (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2003 2:45AM GMT
Joseph Soper who married Electa Mansfield was the son of Mordecai Soper of Milton, Vt., Revolutionary War soldier. Mordecai's ancestry is still a mystery; he was of the "Nine Partners' when he married Naomi Owen in Salisbury, Ct. After their marriage they moved up through western Vermont, ending in Milton. He is buried in the Plains Cem.

Posted: 25 Nov 2003 4:04AM GMT
Surnames: Soper, Kasler
Thanks Brian, I have not had time to read my Kasler-Soper info or do any research since I placed my inquiry. The Kasler(w/Soper connection) reunion is held each year in Beautiful South Eastern OHIO. If you are interested I will let you know when and where it will be held. It is close to the Cemetery where a lot of the Kasler Line is buried. There has been a lot of research done on the line. Not by me but I can give your e-mail address to the man that is doing the research. He spoke at the 2003 Reunion. " Very good with proof of all research." Is Milton & the Plains Cem in Vt?

Plains Cem., Milton, VT

Brian Tabor (View posts)
Posted: 26 Nov 2003 2:40PM GMT
Hi Judy,
Yes, the Milton Plains Cemetery is one of the oldest, perhaps the oldest in town, located on the east side of the village of Milton, VT. It is in fair shape, not currently used. Enclosed by a fence as all around are residential dwellings, few trees.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions