Search for content in message boards

Were John and Edward WALTON brothers (Hanover County, VA, 1700s)?

Were John and Edward WALTON brothers (Hanover County, VA, 1700s)?

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 12:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WALTON, SIMS
Was the John WALTON who married Mary SIMS in Virginia in about 1735 a brother of the Edward WALTON (son Ison) who died in 1791 in Hanover County, Virginia?

I descend from John and Mary SIMS of Hanover and Albemarle Counties in Virginia. Ison WALTON was their son-in-law. I suspect that my John SIMS was John WALTON's brother-in-law and kinship between John and Edward WALTON strengthens that case.

Cordially,
Paul Zebe
Watertown, MA

Re: Were John and Edward WALTON brothers (Hanover County, VA, 1700s)?

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Walton, Sims/Symes
John and Mary Sims Walton are my 6th great grandparents. According to my records, John was the son of Edward and Elizabeth Mason and he also had a brother named Edward who was married to Ann Murray and to Barbara Hester. Edward was also the name of their grandfather who was married to Elizabeth Booth Napier. I have very little on the Symes/Sims family. George Symes III and Sara Snead were Mary's parents, her grandparents were George Symes II and Elizabeth Walton. Just realized that I do not have her parents - another to add to my list of "to do's". If you can add anything to what I have provided or have corrections, please let me know. I would be interested in more information about Ison, he is not in my database.

BTW, I'm always delighted to meet a new cousin regardless of how far removed. One of our cousins has enter John and Mary in the DAR

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 10:33PM GMT
When John died did Mary remarry?

I have limited info about Ison. Those descended from him can give you more info. I do know that Ison and Elizabeth Sims had a son they named Ison, who reached 16 in the 1790s in Albemarle County. Evidently, he died, because Ison descendants say Ison Jr was born in the early 1800s to Ison and his second wife.

For good info on the Sims family, see Paul Arnot, Notes on the Sims of Hanover-Louisa Counties, Virginia. The Mormons have it on microfilm.

It IS nice to meet another cousin.

Posted: 31 May 2013 8:25PM GMT
i believe that Ison (1749-1832) mrried Elizabeth Simms, daughter of John Sims.

Ison'a brother Richmond named one of his sons Ison

Posted: 31 May 2013 9:04PM GMT
Surnames: WALTON
Good point! Ison Jr might have been Richmond's son! Outstanding!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions