Search for content in message boards

re Thomas Kennedy

re Thomas Kennedy

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 11:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for the family of Thomas Kennedy, born about 1910-1920( large gap I know, in Ireland. Moved to Ontario Canada and during 1939 he lived at 29 St clair in wentworth (a.k. Hamilton now) Ontario. Some time between 1939 and 1940 he married the daughter of a family friend, there was a child born. Some time after the marriage they moved to the US. possible border crossing would be Niagara falls or Detroit, MI. I don't think they moved to far. It isn't alot to go on but it is what I know right now. If Thomas is connected to you or is possibly a match to any Thomas Kennedy in your line please email me. Thanks Kimberly

Re: re Thomas Kennedy

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 5:17PM GMT
Do you know the names of his wife and child? If so, you should post those.

How about the names of his parents or siblings (if any)?

Occupation? Anything else?

With such a common name, he's nearly impossible to find unless you provide more information....

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 5:51PM GMT
I am trying to get the name of his wife, the child I have no way of getting. I believe the child was born in the states. Same with his parents, no way at all to get any info on them. The information about Thomas's brief appearance into our family has been (for the most part) taken to the grave. Those who know anything about him died keeping the information to themselves. I am hoping to find more about him on some adoption records that I hope to have in my hands within the next 6 weeks, but our privacy laws may not allow that either. At this point my only hope is to ask everyone who has a Thomas Kennedy that lived in Ontario to see if we can match up that way. Thanks, Kimberly

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 7:38PM GMT
Edited: 26 Sep 2012 7:39PM GMT
How do you know he was married and had a child?

Also -- There's probably more than one Thomas Kenneday in Ontario at that time. If someone does reply, you're still going to have to have some way to distinguish him in order to be sure. That's a tough one!

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 7:50PM GMT
I was able to discover what had happened over the years. Thomas Kennedy had lived with my Great Aunt Charlotte Hunter a.ka. Lottie Mckenna ( married name). I have seen a copy of the census showing that he lived as a lodger during 1939-1940. He then met Lottie's niece, Margaret Ruth Hunter. They dated. Now as it has been told, and through some written information. Ruth had become pregnant by Thomas. During the same time, a friend of Thomas's family had a daughter that was also in the family way. I think her name may have been Cathy or something close to that. Thomas was not the father of her child, but because both families had money and the fathers felt it would be best if they arranged for Thomas to marry the other woman. When he refused, he was then told that unless he married the other woman then harm would come to Ruth and her baby. So he married her and per the wishes of the father, the couple was moved to the States. I wish I could say that was the end. however 6 months after ruth gave birth to Thomas William hunter, she died. Thomas Kennedy tried to gain custody of his son. but that was stoppped by Ruth's sister in law, Velma hunter. So little Thomas was then adopted to Neil and Velma hunter and his name was changed to William Thomas Hunter. william ( thomas jr) was my father. So basically I am haoping to find my grand father. Thanks

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 5:40PM GMT
I think a key piece would be getting Cathy's full name. Could you get that through marriage records?

With that obituaries or other records could be searched. Relatives' or siblings' obituaries (if any) could indicate where they were living, if they were survivors.

Also key would be exact birth dates. Thomas and his wife could be identified by those in some databases.

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 7:08PM GMT
I am working on that. Not knowing if they married here, or in the states is hard. But I have my Aunt going to look through the microfiche at the library and hope to pull something from that. I also will check with the church records up here. But sadly our privacy laws are pretty stiff, so not sure if I can even get that. I am hoping that I come across a census that was done during 1939, hopfully there will be something there too.

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 7:14PM GMT
The latest available census for Canada is 1911 (1916 for the prairie provinces). The 1921 census will be available in 2013. There was a National Registration done in 1940 from which you can glean information, but you have to apply to Library & Archives' Canada:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-911.007-e.html

Unfortunately, first you have to prove that the person is deceased.

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 7:32PM GMT
I have found and seen already that the Hamilton Central Library keeps these files on microfiche. I had seen it once already, even wrote it down. But then lost the paper it was written on. It shows thomas was a lodger at my Aunt's house, so I am trying to get back. At this point I am so depeserate that I am trying every available means. I used a very large age gap, because I honestly don't know what year he was born. So I est. that he would be a bit older then Ruth, maybe even younger, by a few years. So again any help on this is very much appreciated.

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 7:35PM GMT
To put some timeframe around this whole story, I found the marriage of Charlotte Hunter & John McKenna, who were married on January 20, 1915 in Freelton, Wentworth County, Ontario. She was the daughter of Francis Hunter & Margaret Campbell. Both parties were Roman Catholic.

Now, your father's birth record is not available to the general public (if he was born ca. 1940), but if he deceased, you can obtain a copy from the Registrar's Office of Ontario. Ask for the long form certificate. It can be ordered online if you can prove he is deceased. If that is not possible, you might find a baptismal record for him in the Roman Catholic Church. You should contact the Archdiocese of Hamilton:

http://www.hamiltondiocese.com/

You might also try getting a copy of Ruth's death certificate from the Registrar's Office as well, as that may provide some additional timing to the whole story.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions