Search for content in message boards

Ancestor's Surname Kanemoto

Ancestor's Surname Kanemoto

Posted: 25 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 12:57PM GMT
Surnames: Kanemoto, Konemoto
Hello,
I am searching for anyone knowing how the surname Konemoto or Kanemoto originated. It was said during my years as growing up that they were part of being samurai's.
I would appreciate any leads and help as possible.
Thanks so much.
Rachael

Re: Ancestor's Surname Kanemoto

Michael Kanemoto (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2001 3:39PM GMT
Surnames: Kanemoto
Kane: gold, money
Moto: orgin

Meaning a wealth of spirit as well as monetary.
I do know that my family ancestry is samurai.

Mike

Posted: 15 Aug 2001 11:51PM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2001 10:38PM GMT
Hi,
My mother's maiden name was Kanemoto. Her father was from Kyushu. My ancestor's were also samurai's, but i do not know too much about them. I only know my grandparents names and from what my mother told me about.
Parents names were , Yoshenore and Hararuyo Kanemoto.

Are there places to search for names as in census's in Japan?
Anything else would help a great deal as i would love to find as much as i can for the family tree.

Thanks so much and Have a Nice Day.
Rachael
Rach537@aol.com

Michael Kanemoto (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2001 1:14AM GMT
My family's records were taken during the Japanese internment here in America during WWII. I am a 4th generation Japanese American.

I do not speak or read Japanese, which is a significant hinderance, but I do know that when you locate the data on the Kanemoto name it will span hundreds of years (samurai had to trace ancestry back to the origins).

I have tried to locate the kanemoto mon (crest), but it has been next to impossible.

I do wish you the best of luck.

Mike

Len Keane (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2003 8:44PM GMT
This is incredible. Are you saying the US Govt. took your family's genealogical records?? If I were you I would contact the President (certified mail, with copies to the National Archives, and whatever other agency might be involved). A letter to the press might also be in order.

It's possible those records may still exist somewhere. Do a Freedom of Information request (FOI). Just cite the Freedom of Information Act, but if you would be more comfortable having a lawyer do it for you I would not hesitate.

Regards,
Len Keane

Posted: 10 May 2012 6:09AM GMT
I'm a 4th generation Kanemoto born and raised in the Bay Area/California. Just like you, I can't speak or read any Japanese, but I do have the Kanemoto clan mon. My grand parents had this made out of thousands of gold origami cranes for their 50th anniversary which hung in their living room so I know its definitely the correct mon. Please see the attached. If you have any more information on the mon, please let me know.

Thanks and best,
Curt
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions