Search for content in message boards

Paul PANCHIN & Jacob STEPHAN families of Tyonek, AK

Paul PANCHIN & Jacob STEPHAN families of Tyonek, AK

Posted: 9 Aug 2006 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stephan, Panchin, Panchine, Koch
I am looking for information on the STEPHAN and PANCHIN families of Tyonek, AK. My grandmother Doris PANCHIN b. 1921-1922 was married 1st to Jacob (?) STEPHAN about 1937-38 and had a daughter. The child died young?? I do not know if Doris was then divorced or widowed. I want to know where the baby (maybe named Elizabeth) is buried. Doris Panchin (Panchine) and her sisters were orphaned. I am looking also for where her parents Paul P. and Kate S. Panchin are buried at Tyonek.

1930 Ankorage, AK, 3rd dist, Chitina, Dist 13
Panchin, Paul P. 28 fisherman, salmon cannery Aleut
Panchin, Kate S. 26 wife
Panchin, Doris 8 daughter
Panchin, Mildred 4 daughter
Panchin, Jenny under 1 year daughter
(Also listed as Athabascan in other records)

1935 BIA Tyonek, AK
Stephan, Elia 68 Fisherman Full Indian
Stephan, Natalie 55 Wife Full Indian
Stephan, Jacob 27 son
Stephan, Steve 35 son

1938 BIA Tyonek, AK
Nicholi, Wilson 19 Full Native (listed as having no parents)
Panchine, Mildred 12 (listed as destitute orphan) Full Native
Panchine, Jennie 10 (listed as destitute orphan) Full Native
Panchine, Margaret 7 (listed as destitute orphan) Full Native
**These 3 girls are Doris' sisters. Margaret also dies young. Only Mildred and Jenny live to adulthood. Where is Margaret buried? Where are their parents buried? Doris said that when sister Jennie died she buried her with her parents. Was that in Tyonek?

1938 Tyonek, Alaska
Stephan, Elia 62 Head Full Native
Stephan, Nellie 57 Wife Full Native
Stephan, Jacob 30 (son) Full Native
* Stephan, Doris 17 (daughter-in-law) Full Native
Stephan, Steve 37 (son) Full Native
Stephan, Nora 15 (daughter-in-law) Full Native
Stephan, Terry 22 (son) Full Native
Stephan, Alexandria 22 (daughter-in-law) Full Native
Stephan, Terry Jr. 3 (grandson) Full Native
Stephan, Serafin 2 (grandson) Full Native
Stephan, Elizabeth 1 (granddaughter) Full Native

Doris Panchin Stephan married Darrell KOCH after 1938 and lived near Homer, AK. They are thought to have had a son that was given out for adoption. My mother would really like to find her half brother. I am having a horrible time trying to get vital records on my grandmother Doris and grandfather Darrell Koch. I am hoping someone can fill in the missing information.

Deborah Slager
Polo, IL

Re: Paul PANCHIN & Jacob STEPHAN families of Tyonek, AK

Posted: 20 Sep 2007 6:47AM GMT
Deborah,

Can you please contact me at suerenkert(at symbbol) gci.net?

Thank you.

Posted: 13 Mar 2011 10:36PM GMT
Did you find out any more information regarding this?.... I do not speak to my mother anymore, and I am curious as to where my mothers side of the family comes from. My grandmonthers maiden name was Margaret Panchin(e) and died about the age of 63/64 I was a bit young to remember the exact dates etc. I am a memeber of the Village of Tyonek but I have only been there once for her funeral. But I know very little of my mothers side of the family and I am just at the begining of my search. The information in your paragraph does have about the age my grandmother would have been at that time so I thought I'd give it a shot if I responded!

Whitney McFadden

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 5:46AM GMT
There are some Panchine's on my Tyonek web page at:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coleen/tyo...

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 6:12PM GMT
Surnames: Panchin, Panchine, Koch, Stephan
So glad to hear from you! I believe that your Margaret is indeed a sister to my Doris Panchin KOCH. Here is a listing of her with two of her sisters shortly after the death of their parents. My Doris is married to a Jacob STEPHAN. I have all of Doris' letters to my mom and I think she mentioned Margaret a number of times. I would love to trade information with you.
My home address is Deborah Slager, 205 S. Maple Ave., Polo, IL 61064
From the 1938 BIA Census of Tyonek, Alaska
Nicholi, Wilson 19 Full Native (listed as having no parents)
Panchine, Mildred 12 (listed as destitute orphan) Full Native
Panchine, Jennie 10 (listed as destitute orphan) Full Native
Panchine, Margaret 7 (listed as destitute orphan) Full Native

A couple of houses away is Doris with her husband and in-laws.
Stephan, Elia 62 Head Full Native
Stephan, Nellie 57 Wife Full Native
Stephan, Jacob 30 (son) Full Native
Stephan, Doris 17 (daughter-in-law) Full Native
Stephan, Steve 37 (son) Full Native
Stephan, Nora 15 (daughter-in-law) Full Native
Stephan, Terry 22 (son) Full Native
Stephan, Alexandria 22 (daughter-in-law) Full Native
Stephan, Terry Jr. 3 (grandson) Full Native
Stephan, Serafin 2 (grandson) Full Native
Stephan, Elizabeth 1 (granddaughter) Full Native

Deborah Slager (FireRaven)

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 9:52PM GMT
Hello my name is Cheryl Smith i live in portland oregon. my grandmother is Jenny Panchine. She had changed her name to Jean orth. she married my grandfather Darrell Orth. She passed away from heart disease about 15 years ago. she was buried in oregon at willamette memorial. i hope that helps some. also she had 4 kids 2 sons and 2 daughters. if you need any more info i hope i can help. i am also interested in learning more about my hertiage!!

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: Panchin, Koch
Hi Cheryl, nice to meet you. I would be happy to share any family info I have with you. Please feel free to contact me directly at Deborah-Slager at comcast.net

I would love to get pictures of your grandmother and will share those I have of Doris. Doris was living with a sister in Oregon when she died. I wonder if it was your grandmother?

Debi

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 3:11AM GMT
Surnames: Panchin, Koch
Hi Whitney, very happy to meet you! I just today received contact with Jenny's granddaughter too. I can be contacted directly at Deborah-Slager (at sign) comcast.net

I will share what I have on Doris and her sisters. I am so excited to finally make contact with the rest of you. As a member of Tyonek maybe you can help me with clan family.

I teach native american beading and do pow-wows. I would very much like to make an outfit in honor of Doris and want to use her clan symbol if I can find out what it is. It should be the same as yours as it is passed down through the female line.
Debi

Debi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions