Search for content in message boards

Askren Family Tipton Co.

Askren Family Tipton Co.

Paul D. Askren (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Askren Jesse
I would like any information on the ASKREN family in and around Tipton County.

David Askren

Posted: 27 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Nov 2001 10:42PM GMT
Surnames: Askren, Campbell
My wife's 4G grandfather was David Askren, who was born in Pennsylvania (11/6/1791) and died in 1861. He is buried in Tipton Co., Indiana. His children were Mary, David Alexander (Alex), Presley and Elizabeth. Will share any info that I have.

Re: Askren Family Tipton Co.

Posted: 5 May 2002 12:09PM GMT
My name is John C. Askren (John Christian Askren), but most everyone just calls me Chris. My dad, now deceased, was Leon L. Askren, only son of Paul Barnabas Askren (Barney), son of William Kirkpatrick Askren.

I have very limited information for my Great Grandfather, William Kirkpatrick Askren other than his birthplace was in Ohio. My Great Grandfather William Kirkpatrick Askren was 43 yrs. of age at the time my grandfather was born according to the birth certificate I have on my Grandfather, Paul Barnabas Askren, born November 23, 1885 in Netawaka, Kansas.

My records show that William Kirkpatrick Askren, as I mentioned, came from Ohio. He married, (according to the certified birth certificate that I have on (Paul Barnabas Askren) Mary Nancy Kerrick, who was from Indiana. By virture of William's age at the time my Grandfather Paul Barnabas Askren's date of birth, this would have made William's date of birth approximately 1842. Mary Nancy (Kerrick) Askren, my Great Grandmother was 37 at the time of Paul Barnabas Askren's birth. This would have made her date of birth approximately 1848 or 1849.

In the 1850 OHIO census, Hamilton County, Ward 8, there appears a William Askren, age 37, with his origin as PA. Ann, (wife) age 44, her origin NY. They had the following children at the time of census: Thomas, age 20, Sarah A., age 14, Elisa, age 11, William*, age 8, Emily, age 6, Charles, age 4, Daniel, age 1. Note: All children born in Ohio.

In the 1860 Ohio census, dated 18Jun1860, it shows the following: William Askren, age 60, Ann, age 54, (wife), Thomas, age 30, Sarah, age 24, Eliza, age 22, William H., age 19, Emily, age 16, Charles R., age 14.

It might be that the *William Askren, a/k/a William H. shown in the 1850 and 1060 census as a son, age 8 in the 1850 Ohio census and again at age 19 in the 1860 Ohio census, was my great grandfather but only by virtue of the time frame. This patricular William Askren would have been approximately 43 yrs. of age when my grandfather was born, consistant with the information on the birth certificate I have for my grandfather, Paul Barnabas Askren.

In the 1880 Kansas Census for Jackson County, KS. (Netawata, KS.), the following information was obtained:
William K. Askren, male, age 37, occupation farmer, birthplace OHIO.
Mary N., female, age 31, occupation housewife, birthplace INDIANA.
*Charles J., male, age 12, school., born in Illinois.
*Note: No further information has been obtained concerning Charles J. Askren as of this date, May 5, 2002, however, please note that in the 1850 OHIO census of Hamilton County where William Askren, age 37 shows in addition to his other children, there appears a son Charles, age 4.* *As noted in the 1880 Kansas Census, William K. Askren and Mary N. have a son, named Charles J. (perhaps just a coincidence).

additional children of William K. Askren and Mary N. Askren were…

William W. Askren, male, age 9, school, born in Illinois.
Lilla B., female, age 6, school, born in Kansas
*Calipernia, female, age 4, born in Kansas (see Kerrick family line shown below).
*Rosella, female, age 2, born in Kansas
*Francis, 10 months, born in Kansas

In the 1900 Kansas Census, Netawaka, Jackson County, the following information appears:

Mary A. Askren, widow, b. FEB1849, mother of 8 children, 8 children indicated as living at the time of census. It shows she was born in Indiana and both her father and mother's origin was Virginia. The following children were living apparently at the home when the census was taken. They were... *Callie, b. DEC 1873, *Francis, b. OCT 1878, Olliver, b. July 1882, Paul B., born 1885, Minnie D., b. Aug 1887.

William K. Askren's wife's name was identified on my grandfather's birth certificate as Mary Nancy Kerrick. It appears that she her full name might have been Mary Nancy Ann Kerrick, as she appears to have used the initial "A". in the 1900 Kansas census.

There appears a Thomas Kerrick, b.1785 in Virginia, he had the following children: Nimrod Kerrick, b. 1809, James Kerrick, b. 1811, Walter Kerrick, b. 1814, Stephen Kerrick, b. 1825, Hugh Kerrick, b. 1828, Mary Kerrick, b. 1831. *** Walter Kerrick, married Calipernia Brown, b. 1820 and they had the following children: James H. Kerrick, b. 1840, William T., b 1843, Fanny, b. 1845, and Mary**, b. 1848. (all children born in Indiana).

Note: On the birth certificate of Paul Barnabas Askren, it shows Mary Nancy Kerrick, age 37, origin Indiana. By my caculations, substracting the age of Mary, (37) from the yr. my grandfather was born (1885), we could caculate her birth to be 1848, which follows the time line of the above Kerrick children.

If this information is true, it should be noted that the name of Walter Kerrick’s wife was Calipernia and was also the name of one of Mary Nancy Kerrick’s daughters, Calipernia as noted in the 1880 Kansas census of Jackson County, Kansas. The similarity of having two women both named Calipernia from the Kerrick line with the time dates consistent with the above named individuals could only be a remote fluke if not otherwise from the same family.

William K. Askren's wife's name was identified on my grandfather's birth certificate as Mary Nancy Kerrick. It appears that she her full name might have been Mary Nancy Ann Kerrick, as she appears to have used the initial "A". in the 1900 Kansas census.

There appears in the 1880 Kansas Census, the following information for Netawaka, Jackson County, Kansas:
William K. Askren, age 36, occupation farmer, origin OHIO, Mary N., age 31, homemaker, origin Indiana, Charles J, age 12, born in Ill., *William W., age 9, born in Ill., Lilla B., age 6, born in Kansas, Calpernia, age 4, born in Kansas, Rosella, age 2, born in Kansas, Francis, 10 months, born in Kansas.

In the obituary for Paul Barnabas Askren, (d.21OCT1959) of Atchison, Atchison County, Kansas, it shows the following:
he leaves a son, Leon L. Askren* only child (my dad), grandchildren, a brother Orville Askren* (Orville was the son of Olliver and this appears to be a mis-print in the paper. Orville was living in Horton, KS., at the time and Olliver was living in Hiawatha, KS.). *Olliver was Paul Barnabas Askren’s brother), three sisters, Mrs. *Callie Young, (married name) of Holton, Kansas, Mrs. *Lillie Woodburn, (married name) and Mrs. *Rose Foulke, (married name) both of Topeka, Kansas. Two sisters, Mrs. *Frances Dart of Madison, KS., and Mrs. *Minnie Shockey of Atchison, were already deceased at the time of my grandfather’s death.

I have a photo of three brothers together, one in the photo being my grandfather, Paul Barnabas Askren and his other two brothers, *William W. Askren and Olliver Louis Kerrick Askren.

Any help or assistance in establishing the chain of heirhsip between William K. Askren, my great grandfather and his father, etc. or the Kerrick line, would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I am an only son born to my dad and mother, and would be most interested in finding out any additional information you may have on my line of ancestry. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

Best regards,

Chris Askren
caskren@msn.com

Re: David Askren

Posted: 10 Sep 2004 8:03PM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2004 8:36PM GMT
Could this David Alexander (Alex) Askren, son of David Askren, be the same as David A. Askren, m. Mary Jane Campbell, July 28, 1859 in Tipton, IN?

I am also researching James Campbell Askren, b. August 9, 1823 in Ohio. James Campbell Askren's parents were David Askren, b. VA and Mary (Craig) Askren, b. Ohio. James Campbell Askren m. Elizabeth "Eliza" Innis, February 9, 1843, in Milroy, Rush Co., IN

Please contact me to share other info available on Askren relatives.

Bob Niesse
per page

Find a board about a specific topic