Search for content in message boards

ROY

ROY

A M Jefferson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching the Andre ROY & Francoise Nicolet CHAPART family and their descendants. They lived in various counties such as St. Chas., Callaway, and the city of St. Louis. Their children were: Marie ROY-CERRE; Frances ROY-RIVARD; Jean Baptiste ROY & Cecile TAYON; Louis ROY & Julie ROYER (my ancestor); Joseph ROY & Maria Louisa CHALLIFOUX; Francois ROY & Catherine Kiercerau. I can be contacted "quicker" via PO Box 688, Skiatook OK 74070. THANKS!

ROY

Larry Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
I have a little bit of information on the ROY and ROYER families of St. Charles. Julie Royer, born ca. 1790, was of French, Kaw (Kanza) and Osage Indian descent. Her daughter, Julia Roy, married Clement Lessert, an early day French trader, and their numerous descendents became prominent in the Osage and Kaw tribes and also in pioneer Oregon.

My connection to the Roy family is through another French-Indian family, the James, also of St. Charles.

I'd be pleased to share additional information with you about the Roys and related families. I'm just beginning to unravel the mysteries of the French speaking families of early day Missouri.

ROY, ROYER

Corrine ST.JOHN (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
I have begun to research my ROY and ROYER line in St. Charles County, MO. Louis ROY, son of Louis C. ROY and Julia ROYER dit COLAS, was born in St. Charles 11 Dec 1814. He married Charlotte SILVERS 9 Jan 1834 and moved out to Washington County, OR, where he died in 1894. Their son, Daniel Vester ROY was born 18 Nov 1839 in Jackson Co., MO and married (2nd wife) Sarah Melissa ALLEN in 1873 in Utah.
Their daughter, Annie Eliza LEROY* was my great grandmother.
(* Daniel changed his surname from ROY to LEROY sometime after his divorce from his first wife, Sarah Priscilla MORRIS in Yamhill Co. Oregon)

I would be pleased to share additional info re: this family.
I am especially interested in the older, MO connections for this family - in particular the French-Indian connections through Julia ROYER dit Colas.

Roy, Royer

Larry Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
My interest in the Roy family is because Julia Roy (dau of Louis Roy and Julia Royer and a twin of Louis Roy jr ) married Clement Lessert. Lessert was one of three important early French traders who married into the Kaw (Kanza) tribe. The others were Louis Gonville and Joseph James. James was my g-g-g grandfather.

Julia Roy was Lessert's second wife and they had about 10 children and established a major family in the Osage tribe although both of them were mostly French. After Clement's death in 1854 Julia was adopted into the Osage tribe.

You probably know more about the Roys than I do. My primary interest is the James family of early day St. Charles and St. Louis. Despite their Anglo name, they were French. (There were also Anglos named James in early day Missouri which, of course, confuses the issue.) Please share any info you come across about a French-speaking James family with me. If you have questions about the Roys or Lesserts, I'll try to answer them.

ROY, ROYER

A Jefferson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Hi Corrine,

I am sorry I have not responded. I looked through Mary Roy-Wilson's group sheets and she does have a date of death and place for the individual you were seeking. I don't have my notes with me but I thought that was for Daniel? I am going to write her this week and I was going to send her your name and address. She is of the first wife's family.

Thanks and keep in touch!

AJ
PO Box 688
Skiatook OK 74070

ROY, ROYER

A Jefferson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Hi Larry,

I was glad to see your response to the Roy query. I am a great-great-great-great granddaughter of Julia Roy and Clement Lessert. I would like to share whatever information you might have on Clement Lessert. I am very curious about the sources that are available for him. I have not been successful contacting the Kaw Nation regarding information on him. They can confirm his daugther Adele but not the wife I have listed. I have also been trying to find out what his name's correct spelling is as Lessert, in my opinion, is phonetically changed once his information came to Oklahoma (as his granddaughter's married name was Desnoyer became DeNoya). I have seen the name Gonville in some notations on information I recently received and I will look for the James name.

I am interested in knowing more about the James and Roy connection.

I use the Internet at the library and rarely come by due to the waiting lists and limited time on the terminal. I would like to correspond via mail if you don't mind. My address is PO Box 688, Skiatook OK 74070.

Thanks!

AJ

ROY,ROYER

Jim Royer (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has discovered the names of Julia ROYERs' parents?

I have documentation on most of the French-Canadian ROYERs and would be interested in knowing if she is descended from Augustin ROYER who migratied from Quebec into IL and eventually ended up in LA or if she is from another branch of the family...

Jim

Jim Royer
jroyer@mail.intplsrv.net

ROYER-ROY, Julia

A Jefferson (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Hi Jim~

Julia Royer's father is Nicolas Royer (sometimes followed by dit Collas or dit Sansquartier). Nicolas is part Kaw Indian and French-Canadian. Julia's mother is Francoise LeDuc, and she is also part Indian (Osage or Kaw) and French-Canadian. In Julia's father-in-law's will (Andre Roy), Nicolas is mentioned as Savage Sansquartier. I imagine this pertains to his Indian lineage.

I hope this helps.

AJ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions