Search for content in message boards

Lewis Mountain-Slaughter Trail-Pocosin

Lewis Mountain-Slaughter Trail-Pocosin

Posted: 27 May 2010 7:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 May 2010 5:37PM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Roach, Lamb
Does anyone know the names of families who settled on and around Lewis Mountain? I have hiked in this area and found a number of homesteads and am trying to track down the owners of these particular tracts. I know that there is a Roach-Lamb(Lam) Cemetery on an abandoned road off of the Slaughter Trail in SNP, but thats all I have been able to find out.

Re: Lewis Mountain-Slaughter Trail-Pocosin

Posted: 16 Dec 2010 10:15PM GMT
Hello! Hope you will find this message helpful. I know that there were Lamb and Taylor families around this area. Most likely near Slaughter Trail. I have an old map showing the names of those who lived in this area. It was once call Devils Ditch. My great great great grandfather was Matthew Taylor who owned land in Devils Ditch.
Attachments:

Posted: 16 Dec 2010 10:18PM GMT
AS you can see in the picture the names Roach and Willie LAMB (Who was anther one of my grandfathers)How was the Slaughter trail? I will be hiking it this summer to see the land my ancestors once owned. Where at on the trail did you find the cemetery?

Posted: 16 Dec 2010 10:19PM GMT
Hi.

Since that message I posted, I have actually completed a masters thesis on Lewis Mountain and Pocosin Hollow, with information, photos and maps of some of the families living there. Within the next couple of months it should be available digitally. I will keep you posted and send you a link to the site, when it becomes available.

Posted: 19 Dec 2010 3:02AM GMT
That's amazing! :) I'll be happy to see what you have found! My aunt Rosettie and her husband Rosser Lamb lived up on Pocosan Mt. :)Definitely keep me posted! I sent you an email: chelsi5092@aol.com

Posted: 19 Dec 2010 3:27AM GMT
I viewed the attachment and noticed a Matthew Lamb lived their also. I have a gggg-grandfather Matthew Lamb and wondered if this is the same Matthew Lamb. Matthew had a daughter Lucy Ann who married John Roberts. Do you know anything about this Matthew Lamb family? Thank you.
Cathy

Posted: 19 Dec 2010 3:53AM GMT
The Matthew Lamb that I am familiar with is my g-g-g Uncle. I'm not familiar with Lucy Anne. Do you know who he married? The one I know married a lady named Victoria A Jarrell. Although I'm not sure if my uncle is the Matthew Lamb that was on that map. The map is located at the Greene County Historical Society.

Chelsi

Posted: 20 Dec 2010 2:28PM GMT
The information that I have was given to me by another researcher and I have not verified it myself. It has Matthew Lamb born ca. 1768 in Orange Co married Mary ___. They had
Lucy Ann b.ca. 1813, Amanda Jane b. ca. 1815, Ann Elizabeth b. ca. 1818, Henry Morton b. ca. 1819, Mahala Frances b. ca. 1822, William Davis b. ca. 1824, and Hiram B. b. ca. 1833. Don't know why there is so many hears between last two children. Could be there are other children. Thanks.
Cathy

Posted: 20 Dec 2010 8:53PM GMT
He was born a little bit before my uncle. I know that the Greene County Historical Society would be a great place to check for Lambs. http://www.greenehistory.org/ Here is their website. Although, on the map The Devil's Ditch area is more in Madison County.

Posted: 21 Dec 2010 1:44AM GMT
Thank you for you help. I will check out the site.
Thanks again,
Cathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic