Search for content in message boards

JAMES MCCARTY and CATHERINE KING

JAMES MCCARTY and CATHERINE KING

Maggie Baker (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2002 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Am looking for information on James McCarty and Catherine King and their family. James was b abt 1796 d 31 Dec 1846, Catherine was b abt 1799 d 6 June 1839. Who are their children and descendants? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Re: JAMES MCCARTY and CATHERINE KING

Posted: 15 Jun 2002 12:28AM GMT
Dear Maggie:

My gggrandparents were James McCarty and Catherine King with those dates of death.

Maureen

Posted: 26 Sep 2011 1:09AM GMT
Hello,
I was wondering if you were able to track down James McCarty descendants with connections to Athenry/or Co. Galway.

My grandfather's grandfather was a Patrick McCart(h)y, b ca 1810 in Athenry.

McCarty is not a typical Connacht surname. Hoping to find a present-day McCarty descendant who might be interested in Y-dna genealogy project.

Thanks.
Ed McCarty

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 10:12PM GMT
We have quite a bit of information on James McCarty descendants with connections to Athenry, Co. Galway. We have a Patrick, but he was born in 1822 or 1823. He married Ann Nolan in 1849. He died in 1850, possibly murdered. Does this fit any of your information?

We do have a brother we will talk to about the Y-DNA project. By coincidence, his name is Ed McCarty as was our fathers.

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 11:17PM GMT
Hi,

Thanks for responding to my email. To see more information on what I know of my McCarty tree with roots in Athenry, you can use the following url http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&...

My great grandfather, Thomas, emigrated around 1858, settling in the Boston area. Other McCartys were already living there according to family history. Thomas was son of Patrick McCarty and Maria Manning, according to what i've been told.

Recently I joined the McCarthy Y DNA project, headed up by a fellow named Nigel McCarthy. His email address is mccarthygen@tiscali.co.uk He has been very helpful.

I took the 37 marker test and my results were distinctly different from most of the other McCarthy/McCartys who had been tested.

That's why I've been trying to track down others with the McCarty surname, who also have ancestral roots in Co Galway

My impression is that my Athenry McCarty ancestors emigrated 1840-1860 to various locations US, England, Australia etc. One relative has suggested that they may have earlier come from the Aran Islands, though others are skeptical.

Let me know if you have trouble with the Worldconnect URL or have any other questions.

Best regards,
Ed McCarty

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 2:28AM GMT
Wondering if your brother ever pursued the Y-DNA testing.

Would really like to compare results.

best regards,
Ed McCarty

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 7:12PM GMT
My brother is willing to do the DNA test. We just haven't actually done it yet.

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 7:49PM GMT
Hi,

Thought you might be interested in knowing that there is currently a promotion going on with reduced price for the 37 marker Y-DNA test.

Link -

https://www.familytreedna.com/order-form.aspx?ty=122

My test kit no. was 210992, and as you can see here:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/McCarthySurnameStudy/def...

my results were atypical for a McCarty/McCarthy.

Best regards,
Ed McCarty

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 8:47PM GMT
Our family will be getting together several times over the holidays. This will be a good time to finally get this underway.

Thank you for the information about the promotional price.

If the difficulty we have had locating ancestors is any indication, I'm sure our McCarty will also fall into the "atypical" category.

Will let you know of the results of the testing when we get them back.

Dee McCarty Plante

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 9:18PM GMT
James McCarty and Catherine King are my great-great-grandparents. I have quite a bit of information about their genealogy. Are you related? If so, how? I know 5 of James and Catherines sons left Ireland about 1847 and came to the US. I haven't had much luck finding any of the brothers, except Edward, in the US.
Am willing to share the information I have.

Dee

per page

Find a board about a specific topic