Search for content in message boards

What do you call someone from Somerset?

What do you call someone from Somerset?

Posted: 9 Nov 2002 2:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Aug 2012 1:30PM GMT
Can anyone enlighten me please . I can't find a name for a person from Somerset anywhere.

Re: What do you call someone from Somerset?

Posted: 10 Nov 2002 2:53AM GMT
Speaking as a proudly Somerset born-and-bred female, I would have said a person from Somerset was a "Somersetian". My husband (a Cockney) would probably say, "A yokel", but he doesn't know any better!;-)

Cheers!

Sue Hembury-Kellow

Posted: 10 Nov 2002 5:56PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2003 5:39PM GMT
Thanks Sue.

Posted: 11 Nov 2002 2:22AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2004 3:56AM GMT
Dear Sue

Quite to the point, LOVE IT

Regards
David Cheek - Adelaide - Australia

julie (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2003 3:55PM GMT
Coming from deep dark somerset, I've been refered to as a zedlander because of the way I speak. people from somerset pronounce it zumerzet and "he said" becomes "he zed" and of course cider is pronounced "zider" Hope this helps

Posted: 15 May 2003 10:22AM GMT
Edited: 9 Dec 2004 2:04AM GMT
Surnames: Cox-Cock-Coc-Cok
I recommend that you call anyone from Somerset "A Friend" -Somerset is without doubt the best county in all the British Isles, Bar None! I am very pround to let it be known that Somerset is my home even though through force of circumstances I do not live there now. We are the "Lake Dwellers" or "Somersetians" as someone has already remarked on, referring to those of us who lived on the islands of Somerset when it was under water, open to the sea and only the Brent Knoll fortress to guard against the invaders to Glastonbury and Wedmore (differently named then)

One Blagdon family has been "cardon-dated" to Ancient British times using the genes investigation method.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic