Search for content in message boards

Need help to find travelling ancestor

Need help to find travelling ancestor

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 9:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
My Great-Great grandmother was named Grace Strong.

In the 1911 census she is living with her parents and siblings in Nottingham, but four years later(1914)she is in Malta with her husband and my Great Grandfather.

On the ship travelling back to England, there was an attempted assassination aimed at her.

I can find no records of her ever travelling to Malta, nothing mentioning a shooting, and no records of her travelling back to England.

Is there anyone that can help me find and track her movements? anything would be a grand help!

Re: Need help to find travelling ancestor

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 5:24AM GMT
What was her husband's name?

What was the name of the ship?

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 9:37AM GMT
She was married to William Walden, in malta, in 1914.

unfortunately I do not know the name of the ship, all I know is that she travelled back to England between 1914-1922. The rumour in the family is that she was shot at because someone had mistaken her for somebody else. I do not know where the incident took place.

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 4:48PM GMT
I also searched for William in ship lists; Malta was under British rule in the 1920s, and that might be why neither William nor Grace are reported as leaving or entering the UK.

I searched old London newspapers for mention of a shooting onboard a ship traveling between Malta and England, but didn't find anything. The name of the ship would have helped narrow down the search.

Good luck,

Beth

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 9:26PM GMT
However.... there are people sailing from India and Burma which were also under British rule.... as well there are listings for Mrs Walden, and Walden's with only a first initial given.

And... there are people who were departing Malta IE the following person listing last permanent residence as Malta

Name: Grace Waldron
Birth Date: abt 1898
Port of Departure: Calcutta, India
Arrival Date: 26 Aug 1923
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ports of Voyage: Calcutta
[Colombo]
[Plymouth]
Ship Name: Matiana

She was traveling with her daughter Audrey Grace (no age listed) and her residence in UK as Ruskin House, Goldsmith Av, Southsea.

As you can see...... having Grace and William's birthdates would help... this is like shooting in the dark with such scant info..

Robert

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 8:54AM GMT
Thanks very much :) I have some new information which might be of some use.

Ok, Grace Strong was born 7th February 1894, Nottingham

Her Husband William Walden was born 11th May 1891, Hampshire

Their son Kenneth was born 6th November 1914, in Malta.

all three of them travelled from Malta to England (I think they landed in or near Bristol) sometime between 1915 and 1920.

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 8:56AM GMT
Grace and Williams second son was born in 1920, in Bristol.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic