Search for content in message boards

The Gregory Family

The Gregory Family

Linda Walden Garrett (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2005 7:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gregory
I just attended a used book sale and even though I do not have this name in my own line I wanted to offer to do any look-ups for those of you that have a connection.

The Gregory Family
Copyright 1975 by the
American Genealogical Research Institute

The book is in good condition and contains the following information:
1. Family Name and Arms
2. Ancestral Emigrants
3. Earl Marriage Records
4. Census of 1790
5. Patriots and Veterans
6. Short Biographies
7. Place Names
8. Constructing Your Family Tree

Re: The Gregory Family

Eunice Gregory (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2005 10:13PM GMT
Who is the oldest person listed in this genealogy book and what are the earliest marriages? You did not list any names so I don't know where to start asking questions. My earliest is John Gregory b. 1777. I have his son, Russell and his siblings. Russell was born 1795 and died 1864. His wife was Susannah Hill. She lived to be up into her nineties. I appreciate any information that you may have.

Thank you,
Eunice

Posted: 9 May 2005 10:47PM GMT
As I have just gotten this book and to be honest probably won't be reading it, I will at least try and give some basic names and dates.

Examples of Ancestral Emigrants:

George Gregory; immigrated to Virginia in 1635 and settled in Charles City County. He was transported to Virginia by the company of Barker, Associates and Co.

Henry Gregory; born arount 1570, died prior to 1655; emigrated from England to Boston in 1633; later moved to Springfield; one of the founders of Stratford, Connecticut.

Alexander Gregory; immigrated to Virginina in 1653.

Alice Gregory; transported from Newcastle Prison on board the ship Patapscoe Merchant, in April of 1733.

Examples of Patriots and Veterans:

Abijah Gregory (born 14 December 1747, died 1788) private in a Connecticut unit; married to Molly Thorpe.

Samuel Gregory (born 1750, died 1828) private in a New York unit; married to Martha Gregory.

William Gregory (born 1731, died March 1824) private and sailor in Massachusetts Navy; married to Mary Sherwood.

Examples of Short Biographies:

Caspar Rene Gregory (6 November 1846 - 9 April 1917); theologian.

John Milton Gregory (6 July 1822 - 19 October 1898) Baptist clergyman.

Warren Gregory (30 September 1864 - 12 February 1927); lawyer.

Hope this helps.

Susan Kelley Fletcher (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2005 3:30AM GMT
Surnames: Gregory
Linda,
Could you see if there is reference to an Isaac or Tunstall Gregory in the index?

Thanks,
Susan

Arthur Small (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2005 3:40AM GMT
Hi Linda

Anything in your book about Edward&Maria Gregory from Ireland(b.1825) or sons David b.1842, Joseph b.1846 or John b.1848, all living in Massachusetts?..Thanks.

Posted: 10 May 2005 3:47AM GMT
Oh how I wish there was an index.

The only places I saw the name Isaac was in the Census of 1790.

Page 41 - Fairfield, Connecticut
Page 42 - Middlesex, Massachusetts
Page 43 - Edenton, North Carolina
Page 44 - Ninety-six, South Carolina

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Mike Gregory (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2005 12:04PM GMT
It's great that you're doing this. I am researching the Gregory line.

I will make the offer to purchase the book from you....paying for shipping...and then I will scan and post the book to website and publish address in this forum.

Let me know if you're interested in this offer.

Thanx

Posted: 10 May 2005 12:55PM GMT
Sure, why not. I only got the book to begin with because I'm always looking for absolutely anything to do with genealogy in hopes of finding things for my own line.

The paperback book is in good condition and is 51/2" by 8 1/2" in size. It was copyrighted in 1975 by the American Genealogical Research Institute and published by Heritage Press, Inc.

Table of Contents
Preface.........................................................................vi
Chapter Page
1 Family Name and Arms.................................................1
2 Ancestral Emigrants....................................................11
3 Early Marriage Records................................................36
4 Census of 1790...........................................................40
5 Patriots and Veterans..................................................46
6 Short Biographies........................................................71
7 Place Names..............................................................79
8 Constructing Your Family Tree......................................81
Appendixes....................................................................89
Research and Reference Sources in the Federal Government
Research and REference Soruces in the United States
Hereditary and Patriotic Societies in the United States

Just so you will know in advance there are only ten people listed in short bio section, two in early marriage, and fifty-three in patriots and veterans. I do not want to mislead anyone into thinking that this is a complete tell all of the Gregory line. A black and white drawing is included of the family crest.

Posted: 10 May 2005 1:00PM GMT
I am sorry to say this book doesn't have an index but I was able to find the following persons named John and give you this info.

Patriots and Veterans
Page 65
John Gregory (born 1729, died 10 August 1812); private in a Connecticut unit; married to Phebe Halley

John Gregory (born 25 December 1544, died 4 May 1808); private in a Connecticut unit; married 1st to Sarah Fairchild, 2nd to Nancy Dickinson and 3rd to Betsy Betts

John Gregory (born around 1705, died 1786); did patriotic service in Connecticut; married to Mary Smith

John Gregory (born 22 August 1761, died 29 October 1852); private in a New Jersey unit; married to Sarah Robbins.

John Gregory (born 1752, died 1825); quartermaster in a New York unit; married to Mary Elizabeth Hamilton

John Gregory (born 16 September 1751, died 24 December 1835); captain in a Pennsylvania unit; pensioned; married to Maria Unknown

John Gregory (born 1752, died 18 January 1841); sergeant in a Pennsylvania unit; pensioned; married to Elizabeth Way.

John Gregory, Jr. (born 2 October 1747, died 11 September 1777); lieutenant in a Virginia unit; married to Martha Terrill

John Gregory, Sr. (dates of birth and death unknown); captain in a Virginia unit; married to Unknown Cary.

John Gregory (born 1758, died 24 May 1844); private in a Virginia unit; pensioned; married to Barbary Ann Hooper

Short Biographies
page 73-74
"John Milton Gregory (6 July 1822 - 19 October 1898); Baptist clergyman, educational leader and university president. John was born at Sand Lake, New York. He was of transplanted New England stock, the son of Joseph G. Gregory, a farmer-tanner, and Rachel Bullock. His early education was received in a village school near his home and at Poughkeepsie Academy. In 1846 he graduated from Union College. For a short time after this he taught school and studied law, and then, in 1847, he was ordained into the Baptist ministry, serving pastorates in Hoosick Falls, New York and Akron, Ohio. In 1852 he took charge of a private high school in Detroit, Michigan and joined the recently organized Michigan State Teachers' Association in 1853. He soon became the founder and editor of the Michigan Journal of Education. He was elected superintendent of public instruction for Michigan, holding the position from 1859 until 1864, when he refused reelection in order to accept the presidency of Kalamazoo College, holding this position for three years. He was the first regent, or president, of the Illinois Industrial University, later to become the University of Illinois, after its creation in 1867. He served three times on commissions connected with international expositions; as United States commissioner to the Vienna Exposition in 1873, as judge in the educational department of the Centennial Exposition in 1875, and as Illinois commissioner to the Paris Exposition in 1878. He served as president of the Illinois State Board of Health in 1881. He was the author of two books; A New Political Economy, 1882 and The Seven Laws of Teaching, 1884. He also wrote many articles and addresses on educational subjects. When the first U.S. Civil Service Commission was organized in 1883, he was appointed as one of the first three members, resigning in 1885. After resigning his post, he spent five years abroad. He was married twice, his first wife being a cousin, Julia Gregory, who bore him five children. His second wife was Louisa C. Allen whom he married in 1879. They had one daughter. His last years were spent in literary, civic, and religious work in Maryland, California, and in Washington, D.C., where he died."

Mike Gregory (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2005 1:07PM GMT
Sounds good.

You can contact me directly at mike_gregory@earthlink.net

look forward to hearing from you with transaction details...

I design websites anyway....so I'll just post it for everybody..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions