Search for content in message boards

Lt. Frederick Thomas Griffin, GA, Civil War

Lt. Frederick Thomas Griffin, GA, Civil War

Posted: 27 Aug 2001 5:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Griffin, Bowie, Brooks, Morris, Swelling, Austin, Lane
Looking for relatives of Lt. Frederick Thomas Griffin born 1821 in S.C. He married Amanda E. Swilling born October 2, 1831 in S.C. He was a Lt. in the Confederate Army and died in 1865 in Rome, GA. We don't know where he is buried.
Any relatives out there?

Re: Lt. Frederick Thomas Griffin, GA, Civil War

Posted: 5 Nov 2001 2:27PM GMT
Edited: 28 Feb 2002 4:17AM GMT
Saw your message about the whereabouts of Lt. Griffin's burial place on the Georgia Cemeteries message board. Just a thought--have you checked microfilm of the Rome Newspaper of the date to see if a funeral notice was published--I know its a long shot but I was able to locate the burial place of my own Civil War ancestor this way. I don't know where you're located in the country but if you are not able to visit the Rome Library I will be there later this week and will be glad to look if it will help. Please e-mail me directly at Perry3919@aol.com. Good luck! Jeannie Perry

Re: Lt. Frederick Thomas Griffin, GA, Civil War

myra skipper (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jan 2002 6:02AM GMT
Surnames: white, griffin
my maternal grandfather's mother was a Griffin from Griffin, Georgia. my grandfather was Walker White. his mother was buried in the White family cemetery plot in Griffin, Georgia. the family story was that on her side of the family the men would ride on horseback through the town shooting off firearms: whooping it up. Jane herself went to a finishing school, living to the age of almost 100.my mother was very close to her; she was religious, perhaps as a counterpoint to an alcoholic husband. of course everything was lost in the Civil War. her husband, W. Y. White, attended Tulane and was a pharmacist or druggist in the town of Griffin. there is a big family reunion of Griffins every year, you might get some info by contacting this group.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions