Search for content in message boards

Names stop at Hamburg Lists

Names stop at Hamburg Lists

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 5:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
I found a name that might be an ancestor (Hermann Lang) in the Hamburg Lists. He sailed on the S.S. Huddersfield, 9 July 1875 to America via Liverpool. Every name on the list has "New York" listed as the destination. But not one of these names shows up in the NY passenger lists.

I did searches on some of the men listed, to see if they ever naturalized, and one (Hermann Gerndt) was naturalized and listed his arrival as July 1875 in New York. But I can't find him (or anyone else on this Hamburg list) in any of the New York lists.

Is it possible some manifests just got lost or destroyed and can't be found? Any other possible explanations for why these names on the Hamburg list don't show up in NY (or Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia or Baltimore)?

Appreciate any advice ...

Re: Names stop at Hamburg Lists

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 9:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Roger

Any of the reasons you mention are possible. As well I have seen several pages of a particular ship manifest missing in the transcribed data base at Ancestry.

I tried the Immigrant Ship Transcriber's Guild web page and that ship is not listed

http://www.immigrantships.net/

Robert
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions