Search for content in message boards

Nicholson / Nickelson

Nicholson / Nickelson

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 4:52PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Nicholson, Nickelson
I have found a lost Nicholson family cemetery in Greene Co GA on Lick Skillet Rd off Hwy 15 N. It is believed to date to the 1800's. There are no markers but lots of sinks and one 4-6 burial plot with a rock wall around it. I need to know the Nicholson that owned this land in the 1800's and after. Can anyone help?

Re: Nicholson / Nickelson

Posted: 1 Feb 2011 6:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
May I ask how you know it belongs to a Nicholson/Nickelson family??? My Nicholson line was in Greene County for quite a while. I've been looking for the cemetery containing my gggg grandparents and possibly two sons who never married. They all died before 1840, I believe. Most of them died in the 1820's. Some of them are buried at Greensboro City Cemetery and Penfield; however, I have never found my gggg grandparents' or these two sons graves. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Please contact me at:

akem827@aol.com

Thanks! Anne Kemp

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson, Nickelson, Williams
Does anyone have information on Samuel Singleton Nicholson thought to have been born 1835 in Greene County GA; died 1914 in Jackson County GA; married Sarah Adeline Williams in Greene County GA in 1860

Sarah Adeline Williams was a daughter of James and Barbara Williams both born around 1800

Children of Samuel Singleton & Sarah Adeline thought to have included:
Columbus Elisha Nicholson
Eufrashia T Nicholson
Docus Singleton Nicholson
Lorenzo Dow Nicholson
James Renaldo Nicholson
Cameron C Nicholson
Nancey Octava Nicholson

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 8:07PM GMT
I only know that it belongs to the Nicholsons thru information passed down from generation to generation and it is listed in the Greene County Cemetery book. The book lists all burials as unmarked, which they are. I plan to take a day off work soon to go to the Greene Co court house to do deed research. I'll make a note to email you that informatin as soon as I have it.

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson - Nickelson
RE: Samuel Singleton Nicholson
I have sent you an invite to view my family tree. I hope it helps.

Posted: 2 Feb 2011 8:28PM GMT
Surnames: nicholson, Nickelson
I would love to have whatever information you might find and where it is located as well. According to their historian there is an old cemetery that is located on what is now a gov't reserve. I'm not sure if it has a name or not. I do know there are some Gresham's buried there and there are over 20 possible graves, I believe. It's been a while; so my memory on this might not be good. It's on the Penfield Road, I believe, or right off it up in the woods.

I thought perhaps my ancestors might be buried there as two or three of the Gresham men were RWS. My gggg grandfather Joseph Nicholson was up in NC.

Thanks so much for posting; and I would certainly appreciate anything that you might find. Anne

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 1:03AM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson/Nickelson
I have The Cemeteries of Greene County book and it does not list any Nicholsons or Nickelsons buried in Penfield or near the Penfield Rd. I only have them in the Greensboro City Cemetery & Walker Church Cemetery. The one on Lick Skillet Rd off Hwy 15 N is listed as Unknown but was told to me by numerous elderly Nickelson/Nicholson relatives (all now deceased) that it is a Nicholson cemetery from the 1800s and the land was sold for back taxes. I was also told that numerous slaves owned by the family are buried there also. I will continue to research the possibility that there are burials on the Penfield Rd. It is possible that they are unmarked. I will send you an "invite" to my family tree so you can see what I have found so far.

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 1:26AM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson/Nickelson
Here is another Nicholson cemetery just over the North-Eastern Greene Co line.

Nicholson Cemetery in Oglethorpe GA

Co Rd 290 just off Wire Bridge Rd in south Oglethorpe Co. GA.

Per "Cemeteries of Oglethorpe County, Georgia" book, there are about 20 unidentified burials &

1. George Robert Nicholson b. 3 SEP 1828 d. 1 OCT 1898
2. Susan Elder Nicholson b. 25 JAN 1836 d. 20 Jun 1918
3. John Nicholson

Per www.findagrave.com , Nicholson Cemetery in Oglethorpe Co. GA (information on this cemetery submitted to the site by Scott A. Steinbrink & others) there are only 3 markers that can be read:

1. George Robert Nicholson b. 3 SEP 1828 d. 1 OCT 1898
2. Susan Elder Nicholson b. 25 JAN 1836 d. 20 Jun 1918
3. A. Wayne Potts b. 2 OCT 1846 d. 23 AUG 1920 (unknown person as of 1/25/11)

George Robert is son of George Nicholson b. 1776 Mecklenburg Co. NC d. 1855 Oglethorpe Co GA who is the son of John Nicholson b. 1738 d. 1817 in Oglethorpe Co GA. who is the son of Cuthbert Nicholson b. 1712 Scotland d. 1789 Mecklenburg NC.
I have pictures of this cemetery on my family tree as well as pictures & directions to the one on Lick Skillet Rd in Greene Co GA. I sent you an invite to my tree so you can see them all.

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Burgess, Elder, Nicholson
Susan/Susie Aurie Elder married George Robert Nicholson on 12 Sep 1852, in Oglethorpe County. I have documented much of this family, because I am descended from the Elder and Burgess families.

Their daughter, Sarah Lamar Nicholson, married Jonathan Thomas Burgess 10 Mar 1887 in Oglethorpe County. Their son, William M Nicholson, married Margaret Marcella Burgess 28 Dec 1887.

If I can help, please let me know.
Ann

Posted: 3 Feb 2011 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: Nicholson / Nickelson
Thank you for this information. I will let you know if I have any other questions.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic