Search for content in message boards

Tracing Martha Johnston Bensley after 1910

Tracing Martha Johnston Bensley after 1910

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 3:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Oct 2012 3:11PM GMT
hi. I am trying to find a place of death for my 3x great Aunt. After the 1910 census, there seems to be no trace.

Her name was Martha Johnston, born 1832 in Co.Tyrone, Ireland. She married a Charles Johnston, had 3 children, Mary Ann, James G and Charles W.
She remarried years later to a Jacob Bensley b 1810. They married around 1877 in PA.
A family booklet does tell her date of death as 17 Aug 1922, but there's no place of death. There was chat about her returning to Ireland, but i can't see that, as she would have been in her 80s at least
Martha flitted between PA, NY & NJ during her years. But we dont know her final place after 1910.
I hope someone with more experience than i have can help a little.

Janette (UK)

Re: Tracing Martha Johnston Bensley after 1910

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 4:19PM GMT
I have not yet found a death date or place.

I found an online obituary for Martha's son, Charles, from 1920:

JOHNSTON, Charles W.

Charles W. Johnston died at his home in New Albany, April 18. He is survived by his wife and six children: Walker B. Allen, Mrs. George Weaver, of Ithaca, N. Y.; Luther, of Endicott, N. Y.; Arthur and William of Elmira, N. Y., and Olive at home, also an aged mother, Mrs. Martha Bensley, one sister, Mary Decker of Newark. N. J., and one brother, James Johnston of Wyalusing. He will be greatly missed by his family and many friends in New Albany and vicinity. (Daily Review, Towanda PA., Friday, April 30, 1920) Note- Son “William” should read Billy; his first name was not William.

----------------

This indicates Martha lived until at least April of 1920. Martha is found living with daughter Mary DECKER in the 1910 census. I have not found Martha in the 1920 census (yet).

Beth
not related

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 4:44PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2012 4:46PM GMT
Thank you Beth. I was aware of the obit, but forgot about Martha being named in it,thank you. However Martha may have been visiting her son's house at the time of his illness and death.
I'm now wondering if the 1922 date is a date of death at all?

The odd thing also is, Martha did live with Mary Decker for some time and there's no trace of death for Mary Decker either. I find that very very odd, even though i'm sure they are not connected.

I do know, Martha had died by 1924,from the will of her Niece

Thank you Beth for searching.

Janette

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 10:57PM GMT
This looks like it may be Mary in 1920, she had a 12 year old son George in 1910.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M455-S6J

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 11:07PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 14 Oct 2012 11:30PM GMT

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 11:21PM GMT
And if you look at the actual census record from 1920, I think it says Decker and not Dupa.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 11:45PM GMT
I second-guessed myself and deleted a post with Mary with family in 1930:

1930 Newark, Essex, New Jersey

DECKER Marry [sic], age 73, widowed, parents born Ireland

living with Paul J. CUMMINS, his wife Margerett [sic] and children.

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 10:40AM GMT
Yes that's the same Mary. Thank you!

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 11:16PM GMT
Dear Janette,

The Pennsylvania Department of Health has an online site with indices for deaths occurring in Pennsylvania. I looked in 1922 based on the information you provided and there was not a death listed for Martha. I used Russell Soundex code B524.

That site is http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pub...

Good luck,
Karen

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 6:36AM GMT
Karen. Thank you for that. At least i can eliminate PA as a place of death now.
I'll concentrate on NY State and NJ State. Plus i have another lead to search Portland, Oregon too, it's a long shot and very unlikely but worth a try.

Thank you again, it's much appreciated

Janette (UK)

per page

Find a board about a specific topic