Search for content in message boards

Baumle families in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Baumle families in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted: 21 May 2004 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baumle, Bäumle
I have found some info that at least two of the Baumle family members of Murg, Baden who moved to America in 1851/1852 lived and had families in Milwaukee, WI:

-Daniel Bäumle, b. 14 Jan 1825 in Murg, Baden, moved to America in 1851. He married to Rosina Baier of Löffingen. Family lived in Milwaukee WI, 6 children. A son became a priest in a catholic order (info from Baden records).

-Leopold Bäumle, b. 1 Jul 1826 in Murg, Baden, d. 9 Jan 1891, moved to America in 1852. His occupation is listed as “Schreiner” = joiner, carpenter (info from Baden records).

Daniel and Leopold were brothers. Parents were Daniel Bäumle + Katharina Harsch, both of Murg, Baden

-a Leopold Baumle, aged 54, is listed in the 1880 US Federal Census in Milwaukee with family: wife Rosa, sons Bernard + Otto, and daughter Rosa. His occupation is listed in the census as carpenter.

No further info about descendants; would love to hear from anyone who has info.

Andreas Zipfel-Waag, Karlsruhe, Baden

For more Baumle info please visit:
http://www.zipfel-waag.de

Re: Baumle families in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

susan (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2004 8:35PM GMT
I may have another Baumle member for you from Milwaukee Wisconsin.

My GG-Grandmother's last name has been listed as Baumle, Baumler, Reichelt, and Reichold depending on what document you are looking at. Would love to find some connection for her.

Name: Maria Magdalen Baumle (Based on marriage certificate from the USA)
DOB: 27 September 1838
Married Friedrich Graf/Graff on 22 October 1856 in Milwaukee, WI at Old Saint Marys Catholic church. Witnesses were Wolfgang Graff (father of Groom) and Georg Muller (unknown relationship).
Passed away on 18 January 1909 and burried in St. Adalbert/Holy Trinity cemetery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Children were named as follows in birth order:
1. Miriam (Mary)
2.Amelia (Emily)
3. Frederick, JR (Fred)
4. Johann (John)
5. Frank
6. Joseph
7. Anna Catherine (Katie)
8. Caroline

Let me know if this fits with anything you have!
Thank you for your time! All other records/census just list birthplace as Bavaria for both Maria & Friedrich Graf/Graff

Posted: 21 May 2004 11:05PM GMT
Hello Andreas
This may help....there are 5 Baumles listed in the Archdiocese cemetery listings...
Edward
Emma
Hermine
Leopold
Rosina

Web site can be accessed at
www.cemeteries.org/genealogy/genealogy01.asp

Just put in surname in box & it will give you all names in any of the archdiocese cemeteries.

Good luck
Larry

Andreas (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2004 8:05AM GMT
Surnames: Baumle, Bäumle
Hello, Larry
your link to the cemetery webpage is most helpful, thank you very much!
Leopold and Rosina are without any doubt members of the family I'm searching for. I had already Leopold's death date from records here in Baden and it measures with the shown burial date.
I assume that the other Baumle were members of Daniel Baumle's family, Leopold's brother.
Thanks again for this grat help!
Andreas

Andreas (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2004 8:21AM GMT
Surnames: Baumle, Bäumle, Baeumle
Hello Susan,
thank you very much for the info. I have no Maria Magdalena with a birth year that fits in the records for this family, but she could be connected in some other kind. Not all of the persons who moved to America are listed.
Leopold Baumle is listed in the 1880 census in Milwaukee, an entry that says he was from Bavaria. This should read he was from Baden.
Possibly the same misleading info on Maria Magdalena's records?
Thanks again for your info, it's greatly appreciated!
Andreas, Karlruhe, Baden

Posted: 24 May 2004 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: Baumle
1860 Census, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (9th ward, page 142):
Baumle, Leopold, age 33 born Baden, Vinegar manufacturer
Rosina, age 38 born Baden
Leopold, age 4 born Wisconsin
Johann, age 2 born Wisconsin
Constantine, age 1 born Wisconsin

All 3 children are male.

I didn't find anything about Daniel and his family.

Andreas (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2004 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Baumle
Deborah,
thank you very much for your info on the Baumle family.
As far as Daniel Baumle is concerned, meanwhile I have some thoughts that he may have died prior to 1860, and that his brother Leopold married the widow.
Thanks again!
Andreas

Posted: 16 May 2009 8:55PM GMT
Surnames: Graf/Baumler
Susan - these are also relatives of mine. We have your GG grandmother listed as Maria Magdalena Baumler and all the other info matches. I actually am on the Graf side of the family. Frederick, who was married to you GG mother had a brother John George Graf. Their father (Fred and John's) was Wolfgang Graf. If you need more info on the Graf side, let me know.

Re: Baumle Bäumle Baeumle & Graf families in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 12:12AM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2013 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: Graf Baumle Bäumle Baeumle
"Maria Magdalen Baumle ... DOB: 27 September 1838 Married Friedrich Graf/Graff ... Passed away on 18 January 1909 and buried in St. Adalbert/Holy Trinity cemetery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin."

There were multiple death notices in 3 of the local German papers for Mrs. Maria Magdalena Graf (70 yrs, bur. Holy Trinity cem.). One of the papers also had an obituary (brief or detailed). The different notices/papers bear looking at for any differences; one of them was in the Catholic weekly.

Additional detail: she was buried in Holy Trinity Cemetery, founded by the early German parish Holy Trinity Catholic Church (Heilige Dreifaltigkeit Katholische Kirche, and now called Our Lady of Guadalupe). St. Adalbert parish happened to purchase cemetery land next door for their primarily Polish community (in early years AKA as "Polish Union cem."). These are now part of the Milwaukee Archdiocese Cemeteries group, but I would not be surprised if the original, separate cemetery corporations/endowment structures still exist somewhere deep within the books of the Archdiocese. The parish and cemetery histories are completely separate and unique.

I've indexed early death notices for a Mrs. Maria Graf (54 yr), survived by a Wolfgang Graf. Be sure to include Baeumle and Bäumle spellings when searching the German papers.

"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... helping to access our historic German-American culture.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic