Search for content in message boards

Lemmons Bend, Kentucky

Lemmons Bend, Kentucky

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 12:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lemmon-Lemon-Lemons
Looking for information on the John Lemmon 4th, son of John 3rd, was born in Monmouth County, NJ in 1745, served in the Revolutionary War.
John Lemmon took his family and floated down the Ohio River on a raft and settled at what is now known as Lemmons Bend on Green River, was then Green County, is now Taylor County, KY. Accompanying him on the trip were his children, Isaac, Abraham, Jacob, John 5th, James, Rudian and 2 daughters.
Anyone having knowledge of the Lemmons Bend Cemetery in Green-Taylor County, Kentucky. I would like to visit with you.

Kenneth Haddock
khaddock@cox.net

Re: Lemmons Bend, Kentucky

Kelle Metz (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2006 4:49AM GMT
The John Lemon/Lemmon you mention is my 5th great-grandfather, but he wasn't a soldier in the Revolution. He is believed to be the son of Rudolph Lehman and Frena unknown of York Co PA. John Lemon/Lemmon was in Rockingham Co VA c1780 and received a land patten there 1 Sep 1780. John Lemon/Lemmon then moved to Washington Co TN cSep 1783 where he purchased land. John Lemon/Lemmon then moved to Green Co KY c1795 and purchased land on a bend of the Green River, to this day known as Lemmon's Bend. John Lemon d after16 Sep 1818 in Green Co KY. A DNA test has been done on a John Lemon/Lemmon descendant, and is an exact match to a descendant of David Lamon d 13 Dec 1829 Washington Co TN. Rudolph Lehman of York Co PA mentions sons, John and David in his will probated 1770 York Co PA. David Lamon lived in Shenandoah Co VA c13 May 1783, and then moved to Washinton Co TN buying land there in 1787.

John Lemon/Lemmon b c1740 m Elizabeth unknown and had the following known children: John Jr.; Abraham; Rudien; Daniel; Jacob; and Isaac.

:-) Kelle Metz

Jeannine Dorothy (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2006 12:18AM GMT
Hi there! You're in the same Lemmon line as me!! So we're cousins - somehow... I descend from Jacob - who moved to Polk Co, MO. I'd love to exchange information with you. I have learned a lot about that line, although I don't know hardly anything about John Lemmon, the father!

Thanks

Posted: 14 May 2013 7:10PM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2013 7:13PM GMT
Surnames: Lemon, Lemmon
Kenneth:

I know this is an old post and I can send an email off site to you; as you already know we are 3rd cousins in our shared Lemmon heritage. I am currently reviewing my entries for our/my 4th great grandfather, Captain John LEMON LEMMON of Lemmon's Bend. I would have to go back to my database to see how many great(s) he is for you, since my grandfather, John Hickmon Lemmon was the eldest child of his 13 siblings.

I thought I had our lineage beyond Captain John Lemmon of Lemmon's Bend figured out; however, now in my review, I believe my findings are incorrect. The only way I can figure this one out is to begin again after Captain John Lemmon.

Has anyone else working on this lineage come to another conclusion other than: Patriot John LEMON SR (1750 – 1809) & Elizabeth TITMAN LEMON (1756 – 1829)

I no longer believe them to be the parents of our John Lemmon of Lemmon's Bend...

Leah Chitty Walton

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 4:41AM GMT
Surnames: Lemmon, Smith
Hello, Kelle! I am also a descendant of "Lemmon's Bend" John and Mary Smith Lemmon (I descend from the Polk Co., Missouri branch of that family). I've found over time that the prevailing opinion regarding the ancestry of this John Lemmon is that he was the son of John Lemmon, Sr. of Co. Tyrone, Ireland, and Elizabeth Mickey. I've seen, however, that you have countered this popular claim and instead named Rudolph and Frena Lehman as his probable parents. Though your evidence supporting this seems more reliable than that supporting John's Scots-Irish parentage, how sure are you that John was indeed of this line, and not of the commonly believed Scots-Irish line? I'm arranging the family genealogy for my grandfather, and your claim of his Swiss Mennonite heritage caught my attention. So exactly how sure are you that John was not, as commonly believed, the son of John Lemmon and Elizabeth Mickey? Can you give me details regarding this? Thanks alot!:) Your genealogy resume is quite impressive, and you seem like a great source of info.

Posted: 28 Sep 2014 4:40PM GMT
Surnames: Lemmon Thomas
I saw your post in genforum, can you help me with this family? This should be the line I'm looking for (from your post):

John Lemmon Sr. that lived on Lemmon's Bend, Green Co. KY. died in Green Co. KY. c1818/20 and is believed to be buried in a family cemetery located at Lemmon's Bend. John Lemmon Sr. of Lemmon's Bend had the following known children: John Lemmon Jr.; Abraham Lemmon; Rudien Lemmon; Daniel Lemmon; Isaac Lemmon; and Jacob Lemmon.

Please post if you see this. It's a tough line, but your posts have saved me the cost of ordering from the book, "John Lemmon and wife Elizabeth Mickey: Pioneer Settlers of Colonial PA...".

I'd love a nudge finding records - Tennessee Archives are difficult to sort through, and I didn't find much of anything at the KY archives. Familysearch doesn't have much on these counties.

What I know with certainty is that Hannah Jane Lemmon married Andrew Thomas, and many have her father listed as Daniel in this line.

Any direction is appreciated!

Posted: 28 Sep 2014 5:44PM GMT
Surnames: Lemmon
Hi Lardog & LeahWalton,

I'm still searching this line and I'm uploading a document I found on Fold3.

I wish that Kelle (the expert) would see this. I feel like I have pieces to a puzzle and can't figure out how it all fits together. Every year has brought new documents that are more readily available.

This line sounds pretty definite, so I'm going with research hoping the pieces fit together as it has been presented.

This document sounds like it might apply to the John Lemmon she wrote about and we're all working on. Please see attached from Fold3.

Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic