Search for content in message boards

Is this the same family

Is this the same family

Posted: 11 Jan 2012 6:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hendry
George Hendry b; 1842, Scotland & wife Mary (or Bridget) b; 1846, Liverpool were my second Great Grandparents on my fathers side but I'm finding it difficult to get any information about them and hope someone can help.

I know the 1891 census I have is correct because when his daughter Janet (my G/Grandmother) married Hans Sofhus Bernhard Hausen (a Mariner) on 2 Oct 1891 her address was 26 Leyden Street, Kirkdale, Liverpool which is the address she was living at on the census in April of that year & both pieces of info give her fathers name as George, a Cooper.
By 1901, when my grandfather was born, Hans had become Henry Bernard Hansen, occupation still the same but written as Seaman Merchant Service. My grandfather was born at 81 Ruskin Street, Kirkdale, same address as Mary Hendry (informant & present at birth) gives as hers.
I've looked up that address on the 1901 census but another family are there. It's possible house numbers changed as I've found that in other areas.

By 1911 neither the Hendrys or the Hansens can be found. I've tried various spellings and immigration/emigration.

The other census results that came up are for a George Hendry in 1881, wife Bridget. Childrens names/DOB's same or similar.

Discrepencies between census results I have looked at; Janet 1891 census born Liverpool but on 1901 she has herself as born Scotland.
Both George's are Coopers and have children with same names born same or similar years. Difference between husband & wifes age is 4 years for both Mary & Bridget.
I wondered if Mary and Bridget were same person.

Have only found one poss marriage 1869 to a Bridget Matthews (some other trees on Ancestry have this also).
The more I look at these census returns the more I think they are the same family.

Handwriting on 1881 atrocious so think the name Talon could actually be John, though there is a Catherine there who doesn't appear with family in 1891. There is a poss match working as a servant in Bootle and a marriage in 1895 showing her father as George, a Cooper and mother Bridget.

Have found George & Bridget on 1901, George still Cooper but at this time no children at home.
If they are the same family why is it Bridget on the 1881 & 1901 census returns and in the middle, 1891 Mary?

Appreciate any help.

Regards
Bernadette Mahoney

Re: Is this the same family

Posted: 17 Jan 2012 11:50PM GMT
Hi Bernadette,

I am not sure I can be of much help but in my experience people do often use different names so I would not discount on this factor. Three of my direct female ancestors used different forenames intermittently in census/marriage/baptism records etc none of which seem to bore any relation to each other. I guess it was just relatively common practice to change your name if you preferred something else.

Anyway onto your problem. Have you looked for the birth record for Janet? This should confirm the correct name of her mother and you will then be able to see if the marriage record for George Hendry and Bridget Matthews is correct, his occupation is listed as cooper so it would seem to be a strong possibility.
I can see from 1881 census return that Janet was born in Greenock Scotland abt 1872, Scotland is also given in 1901 census. If you go onto Scotlands People website and look up Janet Hendry born between 1870 to 1874 you will see that there are 14 matches. I suggest you sign up and buy some credits you will then be able to see some more details on the matches and then if you pay a bit more you will be able to click on the one that looks most likely in order to confirm - its not in a certificate format but it will give you all the info that you would find on an English certificate.

With regard to 1911 census I did find the Hendrys:
Name: George Hendry
Age in 1911: 68
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Greenock, Scotland
Civil parish: Liverpool
County/Island: Lancashire
Street Address: 3 Neville St Liverpool
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Liverpool
Registration District Number: 453
Sub-registration district: Scotland
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Piece: 22129
Other Household Members:
Mary Hendry abt 1847 64
Galway, Ireland
Percy Hendry Nephew abt 1900 11
Liverpool, Lancashire, England

So again Mary / Bridgets birthplace is different. I do not know if there was some sort of situation with Irish immigrants in Liverpool or generally during latter part of nineteenth century that would have caused them to lie but the fact that George's birthplace is always given as Scotland shouts deliberate mistake to me!

No luck with the Hansans in 1911. What do you know of their history after this point? When/where did they die? Where did their children get married? Perhaps this might give you an indication of where to look next.

Hope this helps
Amelia

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 1:11PM GMT
Hi Amelia,

Thanks for your help.
I do subscribe to Scotlands People & have a birth for Janet on 27 July 1871 at what looks like 2 or 3 East Shaw Street, Greenock. It shows George as Journeyman Cooper & Bridget, formerly Matthews, as her mother.
Though on the 1891 census where Mary is listed as her mothers name it says born in Liverpool, I guess that depends sometimes on who is giving the information for the census as I've come across similar things in other parts of my research.

Like you, I found George & Mary on the 1911 census but had dismissed it as 'Mary' gave Galway as her birth place. However I think you may be right about the Irish immigration point and with this George being formerly a Cooper it does seem to fit.

Onto the Hansens. My paternal grandfather was William. My parents divorced when I was quite young so I didn't have a close relationship with that side of my family. But my father always told me his father had run away to England from Denmark, stowed away I think.

When I started research & obtained a copy of his death cert it said he was born in Liverpool which totally threw me off the scent for a while. Eventually I sent for a copy of his birth cert & sure enough he was born 12 August 1901 at 18 Ruskin Street, Kirkdale, Liverpool. Parents, Janet & Henry Hansen. Also present at birth was Mary.
The Ruskin Street address is given as Mary's residence so I assumed either she was staying with her daughter or her daughter with her at the time of birth.
The confusing thing is that on the 1901 census Janet & her family were living at 9 Melrose avenue,Kirkdale & her parents George & Bridget were living at 24 Lamb Street, Kirkdale.

Anyway everything was starting to make sense re my grandfather when I found their marriage & that Hans Sofhus Bernhard Hausen (on their marriage cert) was a Danish subject (able seaman). Somewhere between 1891 & 1901 he became Henry Hansen.
I've found a possible death for Janet in 1902. I think, even if this is not her, the family went to live in Denmark before the 1911 census.
My grandfather allegedly came to England to find work. He married my grandmother in 1927 at which time he was in the Royal Tank Corps & stationed close to where they eventually settled in Surrey. My grandmother was from nearby Hampshire. In 1928 when my father was born William was a Hotel 'Boots' and they were living in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
I need to investigate how they came to be there. Perhaps he had some relatives in the area or maybe it was just where they happened to be when he left the army.

Thanks once again for your help. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Best regards Bernadette

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 1:57PM GMT
Hi Bernadette,

I do think all you research is on the correct track and the fact that you have that birth record for Janet with Bridget Matthews as her mother confirms that marriage record as being correct! I would have a look for other Matthews in census pre 1861 and for marriages as well.
With regard to 1911 census - that was taken on 2nd April 1911 and then a four month gap followed before the birth of your Grandfather. Perhaps Hans/Henry was going to be at sea for some time and it made more economical sense for the family to move in together so they could support Janet.
Have you tried tracing any of William's siblings? Maybe you might be able to get in contact with someone who may know more - perhaps in Denmark?! I guess that more recent info would probably be more valuable to you.
Hope it goes well
Amelia

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 3:22PM GMT
Hi Amelia,

Unfortunatly no one seems to have any info regarding my grandfathers siblings. Maybe they settled in Denmark.
It was 1901 he was born but still a 5 month gap from March to August.

I do have a link to a Danish website, so will persevere.
Thanks for all your help.

Regards Bernadette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic