Search for content in message boards

1819 Murder?

1819 Murder?

Posted: 4 Oct 2004 1:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Mar 2005 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: Evans, Kaiser
I have a story in my family research about a murder in 1819 in New York, which I believe took place in Livingston County. The story goes...

Death accursed due to a shooting incident with the previous owner of Mr. Evans new farm in New York. Apparantly, the previous owner had foreclosed on the farm, and lost it to the bank, who then sold it to Mr. Evans. After his death, the large family was split up, and Sarah was adopted by the Kaisers as their only child. The Kaisers were very well-to-do and Sarah had a good life. The records I have state that Sarah was raised in "Kaiserville, NY" but I can find no evidence to support that a town ever existed by that name.

Sarah grew up to marry John Horatio Lawrence, the apprentice of Mr. Kaiser. They eventually moved to Nebraska and raised their family in Colfax County. John Lawrence served in the English army before immigrating to the U.S., and then fought in the Revolutionary War against England.

Any information on how to prove any of this would be very helpful. I have hit a huge brick wall on Sarah Evans, and would love to be able to knock it down! Thank you! Jen Baldwin

Re: 1819 Murder?

Posted: 5 Oct 2004 4:46AM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2006 3:20AM GMT
Surnames: KAISER, KYSOR, KESER
"Kaiserville" perhaps should be Kysorville, New York, United States [Place] in Livingston County; location is 42°38'55"N 77°47'35"W [SourceGSP]. For map links, see
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.GetDetail?tab=Y&...

Also see the West Sparta page from French's 1860 gazeteer, at http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyliving/town/wsparta.htm , with the address of the town historian.

Livingston county was formed in 1821, and the 1820 census of Ontario shows an Isaac KESER. Unfortunately, his location is not very near Kysorville; they're about 5 lakes apart, and Isaac has a bunch of children. There are 46 other "kaiser" soundex equivalents in the 1820 census index of NY.

By 1830, Isaac has moved to Groveland [near Kysorville], and in Sparta there is a Nicholas KYSOR with a 10-15 yo female [only child], and a Sylvanus KYSOR with a passel o' kids.

Posted: 11 Dec 2004 3:00AM GMT
John Lawrence and Sarah Evans were my grandmother's grandparents; my middle name is Lawrence because of them. One of John and Sarah's daughters (Frances) dictated her recollections of her parents, in 1926. I have a copy that, among other things, speaks to the murder of Sarah's parents (you have the basic details already), the journey that brought John to upstate New York, and a little about what they were like. It does not give much detail about her parents, though, and I have hit the same wall you have. I will send you a copy off-line (it is no more than several pages long; do you already have a copy?) By the way, John was born on January 2, 1806 and did not fight in the Revolution.

- Charles Hill

Posted: 20 Dec 2004 5:18AM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2005 6:45AM GMT
You mention the name of the town as Kaiserville in Livingston Co but cannot find it. Maybe it is Cuylerville. That "sounds" alot like it and is in Livingston Co, NY. Maybe that is the town you are trying to find. Just a hunch...

Cuylerville is a small place near Geneseo, NY (south of the city of Rochester, NY).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic