Search for content in message boards

Families in "Maine" in 1790 (Benjamin, Reuben)

Families in "Maine" in 1790 (Benjamin, Reuben)

Posted: 20 Oct 2003 11:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Dec 2005 1:32PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman, Wilkins
Hello.

I'd like to repost my interest in finding someone who has information on the FREEMAN families who were living in "Maine" in the late 1700's. (Maine did not become a State until 1820.)

Someone on a Maine List provided the following marriages:

Lucy FREEMAN and Daniel KEEN, int. Feb. 10, 1784
Margret FREEMAN and Benjamin HUSSEY, int. Oct. 7, 1819

I am trying to find out if those FREEMAN families in "Maine" had a daughter, named Electa or "Leeta" .. born in the early 1780's. I am trying to find out the maiden name of the wife of Samuel WILKINS who was reportedly born in "Maine" in 1780. (Also trying to find out who his father was.)
I don't know the middle names of their first two sons, Samuel and Almon WILKINS, but their youngest son was named, George Freeman WILKINS.

Other marriage information provided is:

Henry FREEMAN and Mrs. Philis SHWART, Dec. 17, 1840
G. W. FREEMAN and Paulin CHAPMAN, Aug. 29, 1875
Charles T. FREEMAN and Harriet CHAPLES, Mar. 25, 1876

The 1790 Census Lists .24. FREEMAN men in "Maine" ..
Barnabas, Benjamin (2), Cesor, Chandler, Enoch, George, James, John (3), Jonathan, Joseph, Nathan, Nathaniel (3), Peletiah, Reuben (2), Samson, Samuel (2), Timothy.

I am interested in the ones in Lincoln County, specifically in Vassalboro, Benjamin and Reuben FREEMAN.

FYI: The 1790 Census shows families in the following states:
CT - 21, ME - 24, MD - 21, MA - 106, NH - 15, NY - 47,
NC - 66, PA - 25, RI - 7, SC - 25, VT - 21

Re: Families in "Maine" in 1790 (Benjamin, Reuben)

Ardella McKay (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2004 3:03AM GMT
I have been trying to find information on Harriet Chaples who married Charles T Freeman, they are the parents of Clarence Freeman whom married Grace E Balano. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regina Burrill (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2005 6:13PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman,Pottle,Burnham
I am seeking Lena Freeman whom married George Pottle any help will be greatful

Thanks,
Gina

Posted: 25 Jun 2009 12:00PM GMT
Hello. It looks like I havn't posted queries about the FREEMAN families in "Maine" ~1790 since 2003 and 2004. I'd like to mention them again, but for a different reason.

Another researcher and I have been trying to solve a mystery about a couple, Samuel WILKINS and Electra "Leeta" (unknown). They were both born ~1780 "somewhere" and married ~1800 "somewhere." They had 10 children between 1800-1820, but only 5 survived to childhood:

Samuel, Jr., Almon, Electra (?), Mary Ann/Jane, and George Freeman WILKINS.

No one knows who the parents of Samuel were, but my "educated guess" is that they were William WILKINS and Sarah BANCROFT. They left MA and went to "Maine" ~1780. Another guess is that Sarah died as a result of childbirth (in the wilderness) with her 6th child - Samuel. IF this is true, than I'm thinking that her baby boy, and also a daughter, 8, were raised by another family. William and Sarah lived in several towns along the Kennebec River, and there were FREEMAN families in the same towns at the same time. So, I'm curious if any of the FREEMAN families would have taken in the WILKINS children.

(There might have been 2 other young children; I can't account for them.)

I have just reconnected with the other researcher. I had originally thought that Electra might have been from a FREEMAN family. But the other researcher just suggested that perhaps a FREEMAN family had taken in the WILKINS children - after the death (?) of their mother ~1780.

When George WILKINS married near Amity, ME, ~1838, he and his wife named their first born, George Freeman WILKINS. The son grew up being called Freeman WILKINS, and later records show him as that. George and Mary (NEAL) WILKINS had 10 children, and lived in New Brunswick during 1860's timeframe, but the widowed George returned to Maine. "Freeman" remained in New Brunswick.

Thank you for your time.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

(I belonged to the FREEMAN List in 2003/2004 but not since. I just resubscribed. I noticed in the archives of that List that the FREEMAN families in "Maine" ~1800 were discussed a lot over 10 years ago.)

Posted: 1 Jul 2009 4:59PM GMT
There is a great series of books titled "Maine Families in 1790". About nine volumes have been published so far. Since you live in Mass., I'd suggest going to the library at the New England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston, which will have the series. You can look up both Wilkins and Freeman (and any other names of interest) in the indexes and find all mentions of them in these books.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions