Search for content in message boards

BELCHAM / BELSHAM in Norfolk

BELCHAM / BELSHAM in Norfolk

Posted: 6 Nov 2004 9:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jan 2013 1:18AM GMT
Surnames: Belsham,Belcham,Green
My Gt Gt Grandfather, James Belcham was born in Castle Acre, Norfolk in 1822. He married Sarah Green in 1845 in Chesterton, Cambridge. Subsequently they lived in Grantchester.
I think James' father was called Christmas Belcham (born around 1796 in Castle Acre) and James 'mother was Mary from Weasenham.

James' brothers and sisters were Harriet (b.1821), Samuel b.1824), Mary (b.1826), Daniel (b.1829), Daniel (b.1830), Elijah (b.1832), Elijah (b.1833), Noah (b.1834), Harriet (b.1836) and Mary Ann (b.1839). There may have been more children - all born in Castle Acre.

Does anyone else have any of these people in their family tree?

Re: Belcham/Belsham in Norfolk

teddybear1843 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2004 5:27PM GMT
Hi there.
It appears thatChristmas & Mary were married in Castle Acre on 5 Feb 1821 but he was put down as Christopher! She was Mary Dent and although there was a Dent family in Weasenham at the turn of 1800, there is no Mary in my transcripts. (I am not infallable though!)

In 1851 we see;
Christmas Belsham 55 Castle Acre
Mary 50 Weasenham
Daniel 20 CA
Elijah 19 CA
Noah 19 CA
Mary Ann 12 CA

This does need checking against the originals though as it has come from indexes.

Best of luck and if you need any further help I do research as a paid hobby. (I live just up the road from Castle Acre.)

Teddy

Posted: 7 Nov 2004 6:13PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2013 2:03PM GMT
Surnames: Belcham,Belsham
Many thanks Teddy your help. I appreciate a note of the wedding date and Mary's surname particularly.

Also appreciate the offer of paid research. I too live up the road from Castle Acre now, having moved from Cambridge where I had always believed the Belchams came from. It is only since I moved to Norfolk that I found out some of my roots are just up the road!

Regards

Sandy

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 7:53PM GMT
Classification: Death
Edited: 9 Jan 2013 2:03PM GMT
Surnames: Belcham
A James Belcham was executed in NOrfolk in 1819

Re: BELCHAM / BELSHAM in Norfolk

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 8:35AM GMT
I am interested in Mary Dent who married Christmas Belsham. I can see from the 1851 census that she was born at Weasenham but try as I might I cannot find her baptism. Have you had any luck?

I have a lot of information on the Dent family that lived in Weasenham and also Castle Acre but I can't see where Mary fits in.

Judy

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 9:45PM GMT
my husbands gt.gt.gt grandfather was james belcham born Norfolk 1815 master mariner. he married Lydia youngs n their children were james fountain belcham jnr, Martha, harriet, lydia , Martha was born in wells next the sea and harriet too Lydia was born kings ln. the family moved to sunderland in co durham where lkydia married my gt gt granddad Charles hebner.
she was only 37 when she died her mother died shortly after her, her father james died in Newcastle in the 1890s and his daughter married in her fifties and moved back to Norfolk.

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 5:47PM GMT
Hi,
I have just found that Christmas Belcham was the father of Samuel who married Catherine Cox in 1847. I am of the Cox family and would be interested in exchanging information. Thanks,
Marion
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions