Search for content in message boards

Comeau Family of Grosses Coques

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 3:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Comeau
Hello. I am searching for information regarding Elizabeth C. Comeau and her family. Born: 26 Sep 1884, Grosses Coques, Digby, NS. Father: Joseph Comeau. Mother: Madeleine (?). Siblings: Margaret b. 1 June 1877. Elizabeth left NS in 1900 at the age of 16 for the US. It is my understanding that the Comeau family has many generations in Nova Scotia. Each member can trace their line to one of two brothers. Aside from that, I have nothing. I would appreciate any help I can get on the matter. Thank you! Mary

Re: Comeau Family of Grosses Coques

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 10:33AM GMT
I have found a couple in Digby Co. in the 1881 Census that fits your description of names and their Marriage record is in NS Vital Stats (on Line) for 1876. They have a daughter Maggie, age 3 but also a daughter Ida who ends up in Mass. USA
and a son Hilarion. I cannot find this family in the 1891 Census to verify if Elizabeth is with them..
My question is, do you know if they had a dau. Ida?
Any other info??

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 2:47AM GMT
Thank you for replying to my message. I appreciate the help. I wish that I could confirm the identity of a daughter, Ida, but I cannot. I have a copy of Elizabeth's obituary to go by and it lists a sister Margaret (nee Comeau) O'Keefe/O'Keeffe surviving her. Right now, that is the only sibling name I have to go by.

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 3:56AM GMT
OK Mary. I've not found any info. for certain, but below is a website for Vital Stats in Nova Scotia.
https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/
You will have to download a free program, available on that site to let you move the record page around to see it.
If you put in Joseph Comeau, Digby you will see two marriages
for him and Madeline Comeau, one in 1874, the other in 1876.
Both are different lads, the one Joseph and family is in the 1881 Census, the second I cannot find.
Hopefully some others will help with your search.

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 12:09AM GMT
Me again Mary with a tad more. Your Joseph is the lad married to Madeline Comeau in 1876 and your Elizabeth (1884) is named after her grandmother on her mothers side.

I think this is Joseph and family in the 1881 Census
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e325/e008120598.jpg

See Maggie and I believe this is the same Joseph in the 1891 Census, note dau, Elizabeth aboard.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/001...

I'm just new with Genealogy, so I could be in error, you know.

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 5:16AM GMT
Well, thank you for your help and for the new leads. I appreciate it. I have been trying to gather information on this part of my family for quite some time. You have given me something new to work with. Thank you again! Mary

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 2:37PM GMT
Very good, Mary. A couple more observations for you.
Ida Commeau applied for a birth Certificate in 1943, and you will see it in NS Vital Stats. She was living in Mass. I also found a marriage record for her in Jan. 1912 in Chelsea Mass. to a Joseph Gilbrook. Ida says her parents were Joseph and Mary Magdelene Comeau and that her Dad was a seaman at the time of her birth which agrees with the 1881 Census.
Margaret married James O'Keefe Nov. 18, 1906 in Mass.
So you still need to trace Hilarion and Martine. Likely more info in NS Vital Stats on them.
Cheers.

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 4:31PM GMT
The Margaret marrying James bit just about confirms that this could be my family. On Elizabeth's obituary her sister's name was Margaret O'Keefe. It's a great branching point. Thank you so very much.

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 6:04PM GMT
Fine Mary, I've had a look in Vital Stats but found nothing for certain. You can have a look on Google Maps to see pictures of the French shore as we call it and drive along the road called Evangeline Trail and see the area of Grosses Coques. Tis a great drive from Yarmouth NS to Weymouth NS and the french people along this French Shore are very friendly with beautiful homes. I should have added prior, it is mandatory for all Comeau folks that trace their lines from the French Shore, to plan a visit to that place and hopefully attend a huge Comeau Family reunion one summer.
Cheers Mary..

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 2:06AM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2012 2:28AM GMT
This is not a family that I am connected with but I thought I’d take a look and see if I could find anything to help you. The LDS Church has a free online site that has a lot of material.
www.familysearch.org
I found baptismal records as follows:
name: Elizabeth Comeau
baptism/christening date: 29 Sep 1884
baptism/christening place: SAINTE MARIE CATHOLIC, CHURCH POINT, DIGBY, NOVA SCOTIA
birth date: 26 Sep 1884
father's name: Joseph Comeau
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Madeleine Comeau
mother's birthplace:

And another for a Margaret:
name: Mariam Margaritam Comeau
baptism/christening date: 07 Jun 1877
baptism/christening place: ETOILE DE LA MER CATHOLIC,METEGHAN,DIGBY,NOVA SCOTIA
father's name: Josephi Comeau
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Magdalena Comeau

The dates correspond well with your known birthdates for Elizabeth and Margaret. Its difficult to make any conclusions about whether Magdalena and Madeleine are the same woman. The name variation certainly might be a transcribers error. One would have to see the original record to be sure.
There are two marriages between a Joseph Comeau and Madelaine; one in 1874 and one 1876.
Both marriage records can be seen on the Nova Scotia Vital Stat site
www.novascotiagenealogy.ca
This is a free site maintained by the Nova Scotia Provincial Archives. You will need to download a viewer program which is free onsite to see the actual record. Briefly they are as follows:

Digby County Registration Year 1876 Book 1812, page 89, #4
Joseph Comeau age 21, bachelor, shoemaker, son of Anselme and Mary
Madelaine Comeau age 24, spinster, dau of Luke and Elizabeth

Digby County Reg Year 1874 Book 1812, page 80, #129
Joseph Comeau age 24, bachelor, farmer son of Justinian and Rosely
Madeline Comeau age 22, spinster dau of Oliver and Elizabeth

I’ll be honest and say that it’s very hard to sort out all the Comeau’s in the Census for various reasons. Partly because some of the same names are used over and over; partly because how they appear on the Census depends greatly on how well the census taker can spell and whether he is French-speaking or not. Also the use of middle names was very common.

The Digby County GenWeb site has a combined Census spreadsheet for the years 1871, 1881 and 1891. I’m not sure if the formatting will carry through when I post but I’ll try. The columns are: name, then community (ie: CP stands for Church Point). The next 3 columns follow the family through the 3 decades above. The “m” after the age stands for “married; “w” for “widower

COMEAU, Anselm B. Cl,CP 42m 51m 63w Blacksmith
Madelene 45m 54m -
Joseph 16 *
Moses 15 25 - shoemaker
Monique 13 21 - seamstress
Abeline 11 20 - servant
Henry 9 19 28 blacksmith
Otile, Odelle 9 18 27
Evangeline 7 14 25
Nesiphore 5 12 23
Charles 32 *
BOUDREAU, Nisese, Nazaire - 2 12

COMEAU, Joseph CP - 27m
Magdelene - 30m
Maggie - 3
Ida - 2
Hilarion - 5/12 Oct

Since the Joseph who would appear to be the one you are looking for was living next door to Anselm Comeau, I would suggest that the couple who married in 1876 is the correct Joseph and Madelaine. Also the fact that his brother Moses was a shoemaker and the Joseph who married in 1876 was a shoemaker points in that direction,.

I don’t know if this will add anything to your research but it may help some. It would also be helpful to know who your Elizabeth married. What was her married name?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions