Search for content in message boards

Pattersons of County Donegal

Pattersons of County Donegal

John Patterson (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: patterson, paterson, scott, mccready
Seeking information concerning the descendants of James Patterson (listed below); their origins, locations, parents, and their connection to early Ulster planters on Cunningham estates in Raphoe Parish (County Donegal):

PATTERSON James Monegragane 100 acres 1 Nov 1614
Leased from Sir John Cuningham, of Crafield (Crawfield), Ayreshire. Son of Sir James.

PATERSON Robert Magha(e)rymore 6 acres 1 May 1613
Leased from James Cuningham, Esq., of Glangarnocke (Glengarnock), Ayreshire.

THE DESCENDANTS OF JAMES PAT(T)ERSON OF COUNTY DONEGAL

1. JAMES PATTERSON b. bef 1727; prosperous landowner of County Donegal.

Children of James Patterson:
i. ROBERT PATTERSON b. 1749 d. 1829 (or wife & cousin Elizabeth 1754 - 1852)
ii. JAMES PATTERSON b. 1757 d. 1849
iii. JOHN PATTERSON b. 1762 d.1849
iv. SISTERS in Philadelphia

2. ROBERT PATTERSON b. 1749; d. June 10, 1829; m. Elizabeth PATTERSON b. May 5, 1754; d. February 05, 1852. Robert Patterson married his cousin, Elizabeth (also a Patterson), before 1786 in Ulster, Northern Ireland. Robert and Elizabeth came to America before 1795 and purchased a farm in Brooke County, Virginia in 1809. They came to America with children William, Robert and Sarah. Elizabeth, James and Alexander were born after their arrival in Pennsylvania.

Children of Robert Patterson and Elizabeth Patterson:
i. WILLIAM PATTERSON b. about 1788 in Ulster; d. 1864-1866.
ii.ROBERT PATTERSON b. March 18, 1789 in Ulster; d. November 17, 1866.
iii. SARAH PATTERSON b. about 1790 d. about 1864 in Cadiz, OH.
iv. ELIZABETH PATTERSON b. 1795, PA; d. November 11, 1864.
v. JAMES PATTERSON b. 1797, PA; d. January 4, 1867, 69th year.
vi. ALEXANDER PATTERSON b. September 26, 1800; d. November 10, 1861.

3. JAMES PATTERSON b.1757; d. 31 Aug 1849 {92 years}; m. SARAH GIVEN b. 1764; d. 8 Jan 1849. Purchased land near Eldersville, Jefferson Township, Pennsylvania in 1797.

Children of James Patterson and Sarah Given are:
i. WILLIAM PATTERSON, b. 1790; d. April 19, 1840.
ii. JOHN PATTERSON, b. 1793; d. February 14, 1841.
iii. MARY PATTERSON; d. before 1893; m. William Moore
iv. JAMES PATTERSON; b. 1805 d. 1876; m. 1852 Jane McWha b. 1824 d. aft 1890.
v. SARAH PATTERSON; d. before 1893; m. Robert Pogue
vi. ELIZABETH PATTERSON; d. before 1893; m. Erasmus Cooper.
vii. HUGH PATTERSON, b. November 07, 1807; d. September 26, 1896.

4. JOHN PATTERSON b. 1762; d. October 09, 1849; m. JANE SCOTT b. 1777, d. August 5, 1831. Jane was the daughter of Francis Scott of County Donegal; died before 1814; m. Ann ___ d. 11/16/1820.

Children of John Patterson and Jean/Jane Scott are:
i. JAMES PATTERSON, b. 1799; d. April 12, 1834; wife Martha.
ii. JOHN PATTERSON
iii. DAVID PATTERSON d. after 1834 (possibly of Kittanning, PA).
iv. ELEANOR PATTERSON, b. 1813; d. October 29, 1826.
vi. CHARLES PATTERSON
v. FRANCIS PATTERSON b. July 5, 1808; d. Feb 12, 1874, m. Annis Porter Scott
vii. NANCY PATTERSON
viii. SARAH PATTERSON
ix. WILLIAM PATTERSON b. 1818 d. 1879, m. Nancy McCready

Re: Pattersons of County Donegal

Posted: 5 May 2002 2:29AM GMT
Edited: 24 Oct 2002 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: James Patterson
Are your Patterson's in any way related to James Patterson
b 1685 and d. 1735 -married to Susanna Howard -Donegal
Conestoga, Lancaster, PA.? I have been led to believe he
might have come from the Salisbury, MD. area; but Donegal,
Irland -perhaps his parentage from there; I don't know and
would appreciate any help here. Thank you and God bless-
Anne

Posted: 28 Nov 2002 11:43PM GMT
The Patterson's you are talking about are from Salisbury, Md and came from County Donegal. They actually originated in County Tyrone. James parents were Arthur Patterson and Ann Scott. Arthur's dad was also named Arthur, and his mother's name was Katherine. Ann's parents were Abraham Scott and Margaret MacFarland. Here is a note that I found about James Patterson:
James lived on the Maryland Eastern Shore, near Salisbury, where kin still live, before moving to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania in what was known as the Conestoga Manor. The Pattersons have been in the Maryland and Pennsylvania areas as early as 1660. He was instrumental in the Cresaps War when Marylanders tried to move the State line north. This trouble started in 1681 and in 1683 Lord Baltimore issued a proclamation by which he claimed jurisdiction over the tract of land on the west of the Deleware Bay and River now held by William Penn by deed of the Duke of York. William Penn died in 1718 after requesting that the King settle this dispute. Penn personnally went to England to plead his case, but the King could not reconcile Penn and Lord Baltimore. In 1731 Thomas Cresop obtained grants from Lord Baltimore for the land upon which James Patterson settled. In May of 1732 Lord Baltimore and the Pennsylvania propietaries agreed to a solution. The war ended in 1738, after Jame's death, and the King of England's order in Council of the 25th of May 1738.

James traveled to Lancaster County Pennsylvania from Salisbury, Maryland by canoe on the Susquehanna River with his family. He was warrented 500 acres in Conestoga Manor in 1718, the same year that his benefactor William Penn died. The warrent was confirmed by Thomas Penn. Conestoga Manor consisted of 16,000 acres and was officially formed March 1, 1718 by order of James Logan.

Feel free to email me- wildflower1863@yahoo.com - I have dates for births and deaths of all these people, plus several generations more on the Scott side.

Posted: 1 Dec 2002 3:26PM GMT
I believe that the Lancaster Pattersons and the Bucks County Pattersons and the Pattersons in Cross Creek & Bethel Ridge in Washington County are all realted, but only as cousins in Ulster. Directly the Lancaster Pattersons (who are also the Cross Creek Pattersons) are not connected.

Re: Pattersons of County Donegal (USTER)

Posted: 20 Mar 2005 3:08AM GMT
Surnames: Patterson, McCready, McKim
Lauren is right, although I didn't know about the Salisbury, MD information.

My Pattersons are not related (at least by connections in the US) to this James...but a large part of his family settled in Cross Creek, PA (literally down the hollow from my family) and became a very large and prominent family in Western PA, particularly Washington County.

Both my family (Bethel Ridge) and James' descendants (Cross Creek) lived in Jefferson Township near Eldersville, PA.

John Patterson
Great Bridge (with new email address!)

Posted: 22 Mar 2005 4:34AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2006 4:34AM GMT
Surnames: Henderson, Patterson, Scott
I am descended from Samuel Patterson, son of Arthur Patterson and Ann Scott. I would be very interested in information about Arthur and Ann. Most of what I have is from Jacob Ziegler's book, An authentic history of Donegal Presbyterian Church... (1902).

Posted: 22 Mar 2005 4:51AM GMT
Do you have any Allegheny County, PA, Patterson connections? We are trying to find the ancestors of a James Patterson (1756-1827), who married Sarah Ewing in 1785, and died in Elizabeth Twp., Allegheny Co. in 1827.
Children: Nancy (m. Jesse Greer), William (m. Sarah McKnight), Mary (m. Samuel Wylie), Sarah (m. Nathaniel Poyntz), Peter (m. Jane Dixon McKnight), Thomas (m. Margaret), Isaac, and Rebecca (m. Ebenezer Henderson)

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 10:50AM GMT
I don't have that James Patterson (I haven't found any connection with my family and the Allegheny Pattersons).

Although there is a strong indication that David Patterson moved to Kittaning, PA.

I am emailing you the Ewings that I have just in case that will help.

R/ John Patterson
Great Bridge, VA

Posted: 24 Mar 2005 3:00AM GMT
Thank you. We seem to have connections to several different Patterson families, all in the Elizabeth Twp. area, and are having difficulties sorting them out. We know one family is descended from Arthur Patterson and Ann Scott, but the others are unknown. The property maps from the late 1800s are covered with Patterson names, and, unfortunately, all the families used the same first names. Rebekah Patterson married Matthew Henderson, and their son Ebenezer married Rebecca Patterson, and their son James Patterson Henderson married Nancy Patterson. All these Patterson ladies are probably related somehow, but...!
I'll have to check out the Kittaning possibilities, and maybe your Ewing information will provide a clue.

Gail Dowell

Posted: 4 Nov 2005 2:36PM GMT
When i was young, I knew two Pattersons brothers who
lived in dunkineely co donegal. both were carpenters and
they had a small timber yard.

Regards Dennis walker.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions