Search for content in message boards

trying to find nell dillion/johnson

trying to find nell dillion/johnson

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 10:52PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Hi am trying to trace a sister or aunty of my great great grandfather william johnson, she went to america some time in the early 1900's. I know she married into the rydeout family her name is nell, shes related to the johnsons and dillon family from liverpool, if anyone has any information or could give me and hints on how to find her i would be most grateful.

Re: trying to find nell dillion/johnson

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 11:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Oct 2012 11:52PM GMT
More information will really be helpful. If I understand right, you are looking for someone named Nell, whose maiden was either Dillion or Johnson.
Do you have any idea when this Nell was born? Have you looked for her birth at http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ ?
How do you know of her existance - from census records, or family story? Did she marry in England or the US?

It is going to be really hard to find her without that info- her birth name could have been Nell, or Ellen, or Helen, etc.

Does this match her at all?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XCWN-M43

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 9:29AM GMT
Hi thankyou for getting back to me, i have hardley any information on her, information is just bits from a family member many years ago and was not very helpful, i have a picture sent from her to my great great grandfather just saying from your sister nell, but when tracing the family tree i cannot fimd her, there is no date on it either. The family came over to england looking for us in the late 1970 early 1980s, we were told she married a rydeout if spelt correctly and she was born here. i have already seen the one you sent living as a lodger i dont think its her as it said single and nell was married i will have a look on the other website you sent me for a date of birth worth a go thank you so mouch for you information and help.

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 10:10AM GMT
have you census for William Johnson???

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 6:13PM GMT
yes i have him in 1861 cenus with a ellen johnson who is two but after that cenus she disappears so i dont no if this is the same ellen that went to america or another who may be has died young i carnt find her birth certificate.

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 9:03PM GMT
perhaps if you would be kind enough to tramscribe (copy) (or attach a copy) of that census to here one of us will be able to help

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 9:51PM GMT
Hi ive tryed to attach a copy of cenus but it wont attach.
information is
1861 cenus for stalybrige cheshire
james johnson Head
mary a johnson wife
james johnson son dob 1855
william johnson (my great great grandfather) son 1857
ellen johnson daughter 1859

traced james and william to liverpool in 1871 father had died and mother remarried james dillion no trace of ellen but another daughter mary a johnson dob 1863
canot find birth certificate for ellen and carnt find marrage of mary and james dillion, hope you can help we think this is the nell that went to america but with out any information can not be sure.

DILLON, JOHNSON, LANCASHIRE

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 8:45AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: johnson, dillon
the 1861 census states that "Ellen" was born Birkenhead - this came under the Wirral registrations

Ellen could also be Helen/Hellen/etc

there is

Name: Ellen Johnson
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1859
Registration district: Wirral
Inferred County: Cheshire
Volume: 8a
Page: 397

IN 1871 - NOTE SPELLING
JAMES DILLON 43 IRELAND A GAS FITTER
+
MARY ANN 43 IRELAND
+
STEP-SONS (HER CHILDREN)
JAMES JOHNSON 16 B LANCS
WILLIAM 14 B LANCS
STEP DAUGHTER (HERS)
MARY ANN 8 B HALEYBRIDGE
SON
PETER DILLON 5 B LIVERPOOL
ELLEN A DILLON 3 DITTO
Address: Doncaster Street, Liverpool
County: Lancashire

this would indicate to me, that "Ellen" had died by this census as, it was customery to re-name a younger child with the same name as in Ellen A above

there are 98 Ellen Johnson's deaths listed between 1861-1871....

Name: Ellen Ann Dillion
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1867
Registration district: Liverpool
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 53

Name: Peter Dillon
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1865
Registration district: Liverpool
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 13

Re: DILLON, JOHNSON, LANCASHIRE

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 9:41AM GMT
Thank you i will have a look at ellen johnson under the wirral district, and the death certificate that you found, if that is her thats another part found but still not a nell that went to america.
I will also look at the james dillon didnt realise i was mispelling surname thank you for your help so much.

Re: DILLON, JOHNSON, LANCASHIRE

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 10:18AM GMT
the 3 registrations above are birth - not death
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions