Search for content in message boards

Birklid Family Tree Information

Birklid Family Tree Information

Posted: 19 Apr 2004 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking to find any information on my family members, I know that my family came from Norway. My maiden name is Birklid - I have many relatives in Alaska which is where I live, I also have many relatives in North and South Dakota. I had once heard that prior to comming to the US the last name was completely different - Birklid came about once in the US. Is there anyone out there that can put me in contact with family in Norway or possibly that may know more about my family as I would like to learn more and certainly contact any family in Norway. If any information is available, please contact me at Jamie_Bassett@health.state.ak.us
Thank you in advance for your time.

Re: Birklid Family Tree Information

G Gallis (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2004 9:17PM GMT
Possible norwegian spelling for Birklid, meaning birch-hillside or birch -mountainside.
Bjørkeli
Bjørkelid
Bjerkeli
Bjerkelid
Birkeli
Birkelid

Taryn (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2004 7:21PM GMT
You have a good start with a farm name, and G. Gallis did a great job of showing the definition (many farm names were descriptive of the landscape there) and the many spelling variations. Your job is to start with yourself, and trace backwards, write to all the relatives, collect info in the USA until you can find the name of the original emigrating ancestor. At that time it should be possible to find the place in Norway they came from - the "Birklid" farm location. But there needs to be USA work done first, I would say.
I'll think you'll really enjoy the search.
The first thing you could do is start in your own family, ask the oldest Aunt or whatever you have for family information.

If you can post some first names too, and dates, it helps for knowing which online databases to search, both in the USA and Norway.

If you go to familysearch.org and click on the search tab, you can find social security death information for Birklids in ND, Alaska and Washington state.

Pedigree Resource File
1. Elias Birklid - Pedigree Resource File

Matches: Pedigree Resource File - 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Social Security Death Index
2. Mary BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 3 Nov 1879 State Where Number was Issued: North Dakota Death: Oct 1969

3. Lars BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 24 Feb 1904 State Where Number was Issued: North Dakota Death: Dec 1980

4. Sigrid BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 11 Sep 1907 State Where Number was Issued: Washington Death: Mar 1996

5. Helene BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 7 Feb 1911 State Where Number was Issued: North Dakota Death: 9 Apr 1998

6. Edgar BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 18 Apr 1912 State Where Number was Issued: Washington Death: May 1981

7. Elmer BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 20 Aug 1912 State Where Number was Issued: Alaska Death: Feb 1982

8. William BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 31 Aug 1913 State Where Number was Issued: Washington Death: 6 Nov 1997

9. John BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 22 Dec 1917 State Where Number was Issued: Washington Death: Sep 1974

10. Louis BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 22 Dec 1917 State Where Number was Issued: Washington Death: Jun 1972

11. Naimy BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 7 Jul 1919 State Where Number was Issued: Alaska Death: 19 Nov 1997

12. Jack BIRKLID - U.S. Social Security Death Index
Birth: 5 Feb 1941 State Where Number was Issued: Alaska Death: 27 Mar 1997

There were more, but these guys lived past the time when Social Security began in the USA.

I found two Birklid in North Dakota getting Land Patents on Homesteaded Land. It tells which county, and when

View
Image Patentee Name State County Issue
Date Land Office Doc.
Nr. Accession/
Serial Nr.
BIRKLID, ANNA ND Burke 2/8/1916 Williston 016232 512411
BIRKLID, EILERT L ND Williams 9/16/1912 Williston 010079 291808

I don't find any in the 1880 census for Norwegians in the Dakotas.

There are also spelling variations for the lid part of the name, which means hillside. li, lie, lien, lid, lidt. (my last name has lid at the end too.)

I don't find them on the 1885 census either, for North Dakota.

On the Naturalizations for North Dakota, I found three men applying for citizenship. You could get the Naturalization papers to perhaps find out more about them. Eilert L. (Larsen could be the patronym - his father's name for a middle name.)
Elias, and also a Jacob L. (Larsen?) Birklid. Often they came 5 years before they filled out their application. also, two of them are shown applying twice. From what I understand, they would fill out the first application and think that the deal was done. Then later would find out that was only the first step, but they would have to reapply. The county is indicated for their application.

Birklid, Eilert L Norway June 12, 1902 1st Ransom D-2 160
Birklid, Eilert Larson Norway May 20, 1912 2nd Williams P-17 126
Birklid, Elias Norway January 20, 1908 1st Ransom D-4 047
Birklid, Jacob L Norway June 26, 1900 1st Barnes D-3 256
Birklid, Jacob L Norway May 05, 1908 2nd Ransom F-17 012

You'd want to check in Ransom, Williams or Barnes county,
but here is the website I found them on

http://www.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndirs/bio&genealogy/ndnatr...

So I guess North Dakota - and find which one of these may be your ancestor? But if they are brothers, which is possible, you could get good information from all three?

Taryn

Jamie Birklid Bassett (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2004 9:22PM GMT
Tayrn, thank you so much for all of your time and help - you have been extremely helpfull! This is certainly going to be a detailed task. I have to admit it was very sad to remember that I lost 3 family members within a year - My father Jack DeMar Birklid passed away 3/27/97, his father William passed away 11/6/97 and his mom Naimy Birklid passed away 11/19/97. My father's sister is Janice, married to Larry Ostnes, my father's older brother is William(Billy) and his wife's name is Beverly(Bev), his other brothers are Richard(Denny)his ex wife was Pat, Gary and his wife Marceille and Ronald(Ronny) and his wife Cathy - all reside in Fairbanks Alaska. Some of them went to Birklid Family Reunion in North Dakota I believe a few years ago. Since my father's passing, the close relationship I had with my family has deteriorated greatly to my greatest sadness. I have asked for assistance from several of my relatives re our family tree information - ancestors etc... but to date have not received any help from them. So, as my children are grown, they are very interested in my family history and the task is mine to provide this information to them. I also believe family is extremely important and would like to get in touch and stay in touch with as many relatives as I possibly can! Again, I thank you for your time and for your help.
Sincerely,
Jamie

Taryn (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2004 1:59AM GMT
I would suggest that you go to www.switchboard.com and you will find 42 listings for Birklid in the USA. You can narrow it down to North Dakota if you'd like, but I suggest you write a letter with your questions, photocopy it, and mail it to all of those found on Switchboard. I have had excellent luck doing that. There might be another Birklid genealogy buff out there you don't know of yet.

There are three in North Dakota, one living at Fort Ransom, which was also the name of the county where the naturalization records were filed?
Ransom?

There is a Birklid query board at Ancestry.com, but no one has posted there ever. You could be the first.

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/board/an/surnames.birklid

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 1:01AM GMT
Jamie,
There is a woman in Norway (Inge Lars) that hosts a Birklid website. It's URL is:
http://bdel.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article...
It is written in Norwegian but you can use google or bing translator to translate to English.
Scott
per page

Find a board about a specific topic