Search for content in message boards

'AMETHYST 111'/ 'M.V. Stream Fisher'/'Applianse' Appleanse?W.G.Savage

'AMETHYST 111'/ 'M.V. Stream Fisher'/'Applianse' Appleanse?W.G.Savage

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 9:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Help Please- with information on these boats. My Grandfather out of Liverpool sailed on them. The Amethyst 111- in 1916. W.G.Savage 1947 the Stream Fisher in1950-1951.(James Fisher & Sons - Barrow in Furness. The APPLi ?? 1946. I am interested in where the sailed to & from and for what purpose or what cargo. As these dates cover the 1st + 2nd W.W and after. I am trying to get an idea of what sort of life he would have led at sea. Thank You ahead for any replies Gwe

Re: 'AMETHYST 111'/ 'M.V. Stream Fisher'/'Applianse' Appleanse?W.G.Savage

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 11:07AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 8 Apr 2012 11:08AM GMT
if you have a google i.e.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63164772@N05/6596674635/

http://www.swanseadocks.co.uk/POW%20Dock%202.htm

Stream Fisher

In September 1952, whilst loading a cargo of anthracite at No. 5 Hoist in the Prince of Wales Dock, water began to flood the engine room of the ‘Stream Fisher’ as some of the ship’s port-holes had inadvertently been left open. A joint effort to pump out the vessel was made by the Swansea Fire Brigade and the Britannia Towing tug ‘Clyneforth’, but this was to no avail and the ‘Stream Fisher’ eventually sank with her port side resting on the bottom of the dock. Fortunately there were no casualties, and the ‘Stream Fisher’ was successfully raised a few weeks later

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 7:31AM GMT
Thank you for reply, now I have a picture of the Amethyst 111,I am glad to hear he was not involved in the porthole misshap- build them tough in those days. Any idea's where I could find out the boats previous history. As my Grandfather was on her in 1916- only have his pay slip R.N.R from the Devonport Navel savings Bank ,so I would think the bout sailed from there, but its the where to ? and for what purpose. Thanks again Gwen

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 9:39AM GMT
Surnames: Phillips
My Grandfather was a sea captain sailing out of Porthmadog. I was in Porthmadog on Friday and the Maritime Museum there had just opened on the Thu after being closed for 18 months.
The new flyer for the Museum has a nice photograph of the Stream Fisher unloading a heavy load. I would expect the load was for the then new power station at Trawsfynydd.
Regards,
Emyr

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 9:39AM GMT
Surnames: Phillips
My Grandfather was a sea captain sailing out of Porthmadog. I was in Porthmadog on Friday and the Maritime Museum there had just opened on the Thu after being closed for 18 months.
The new flyer for the Museum has a nice photograph of the Stream Fisher unloading a heavy load. I would expect the load was for the then new power station at Trawsfynydd.
Regards,
Emyr

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 9:53AM GMT
Hello Emyr,
Thank you for that information, do you think you could send me a photo of the flyer, if so a very big thank you ahead. My Grandfather was a captain in the 2WW ( hard to find out what boats he served on then) am not sure if he was a Captain or Mate with the rest of his sea life so would love to hear back Gwen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions