Search for content in message boards

Smith

Smith

Sandy Smith-Distel (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2006 8:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith, Back, Mossbarger, Akins
I have been researching the Smith family now for about 10 years, I have been told many stories. It is possible that some of the Smith relatives came from Tennessee. But this is what I have been told:

My father is Elmer Junior Smith DOB 2-25-1935, born in Shawneetown, IL (also known as Old Shawneetown right on the Ohio river). Elmer married Anna Mae Travelstead on August 15, 1958 in Shawneetown, IL, in the county of Saline. Divorced her in 1980. He then married Mary Hine June 19, 1982. They did not have children together.

My parents had five children. Sandy Jean Smith (myself) DOB 06-16-1959 in New Haven, IL at home, Brenda Lee Smith DOB 01-05, 1961 in Eldorado, IL. She died June 1961 in New Haven at the age of 6 months, from apparently SIDS at home, Mary Frances Smith (Hall) DOB 07-28-1963 in Eldorado, IL, James Elmer Smith DOB 02-03-1965 in Eldorado, IL, and Elizabeth Ann Smith (Johnson) DOB 12-22-1966 in Eldorado, IL.

Joel Claud Smith (my grandfather) DOB 2-14-1897, died 5-31-1965, buried in Westwood Cemetery, Shawneetown, IL. His first marriage to Lillie Belle Seely took place October 25, 1917. They had two children, 1 female-Mary Pauline Smith, 1 male-Joel Claud Smith (nickname Smokey Joe). His second marriage was to Alice May Back DOB 11-15-1908 of New Haven, IL. The marriage took place 10-25-1917, and she died 08-05-1946 from apparent cancer. Burial in Westwood Cemetery My grandfather later married Shirley??? Have no idea anything else about her.

James A. Smith (was my great grandfather) DOB ca. 1877. He married Maggie Lamb of Ridgway, IL, in Shawneetown, IL, Saline, County. They had three sons together, and which one was my grandfather. There apparently was another son George Smith and a William (Bill) Smith. My grandfather apparently had a half brother Floyd Thomas Jr, whom I don’t know to much about. His sisters were Clara (Smith) Pruitt and she had lived in Mt. Vernon, IL, and had a son whose name is/was Bob Pruitt, and his other sister was Hattie (Smith) Padgett, and also was living in Mt. Vernon, IL. I was also told of another sister, whom was Mary Pauline (Smith) Back. She had two daughters Faye (Back) Nation of Shawneetown, and Delilah (Lolly) (Back) Vaughan, they are my 2nd cousin, and my father and uncle’s nieces.

Joseph Smith (was my great-great grandfather) DOB ca. 1808. He married Eliza Jane Akins married ca. 1845 in Ridgway, IL, and he died ca. 1863. I also have Virginus Smith in my line.

These are the parents and grandparents of my grandmother. Alice May Back my grandmother's father was James Back married my grand mother Josephine Mossbarger in Shawneetown, Gallatin County, she also had a daughter also named Josephine and she was born 07-20-1891, died 09-05-1972 in Loretta Nursing Home, Shawneetown, IL., and buried in Westwood Cemetery, Shawneetown, IL My grandfather and his wife are buried in Westwood also. I also have a cousin Sheila Pinkston buried in Westwood Cemetery, Shawneetown. Now James Back's father was Mitch Back and was married to Mary Hise, no dates available on them at all. Now Josephine Mossbarger's parents were John W. Mossbarger, married Alice D. Pruitt. now there is nothing else that I have.

I was also told there was also a Luther Ingleton. Apparently, this man was my grandfather’s cousin. Still unknown for sure. There was also a Jim or Red Davies whom was said to be related. There is also a cousin Charles Usselton who I was told lived in Dale, IL, his brother was Hershel was a jockey who was German. If any of this rings a bell please contact me so we can get together. I am trying to plan a family reunion for the Smith's in Shawneetown, IL. So if you are Scottish or related any anyway please let me know. If you or anyone else is interested in helping getting this together please let me know, I would love to hear from you or anyone for that matter in this regards.

Re: Smith

Douglas Smith (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2006 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Smith/Pruitt
I realize that the Smith line(s) are varied and spread out. I've been looking for 25 years and the line you mentioned and the names are quite similar to mine, including the Pruitts. The difference is mine came from S.C. into Georgia and settled around (Milton and Cherokee County). The Pruitts came from Virginia, and some eventually settled in Texas.

Sandy Smith-Distel (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 2006 8:45PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Back, Mossbarger, Akins
I have been researching the Smith family now for about 10 years, I have been told many stories. It is possible that some of the Smith relatives came from Cincinnati, Ohio, and Tennessee. However, this is all I have found and have been told:

My father is Elmer Junior Smith DOB 2-25-1935, born in Shawneetown, IL (also known as Old Shawneetown right on the Ohio river). Elmer married Anna Mae Travelstead on August 15, 1958 in Shawneetown, IL, in the county of Saline. Divorced her in 1980. He then married Mary Hine June 19, 1982. They did not have children together.

My parents had five children. Sandy Jean Smith (myself) DOB 06-16-1959 in New Haven, IL at home, Brenda Lee Smith DOB 01-05, 1961 in Eldorado, IL. She died June 1961 in New Haven at the age of 6 months, from apparently SIDS at home, Mary Frances Smith (Hall) DOB 07-28-1963 in Eldorado, IL, James Elmer Smith DOB 02-03-1965 in Eldorado, IL, and Elizabeth Ann Smith (Johnson) DOB 12-22-1966 in Eldorado, IL.

Joel Claud Smith (my grandfather) DOB 2-14-1897, died 5-31-1965, buried in Westwood Cemetery, Shawneetown, IL. His first marriage to Lillie Belle Seely took place October 25, 1917. They had two children, 1 female-Mary Pauline Smith, 1 male-Joel Claud Smith (nickname Smokey Joe). His second marriage was to Alice May Back DOB 11-15-1908 of New Haven, IL. The marriage took place 10-25-1917, and she died 08-05-1946 from apparent cancer. Burial in Westwood Cemetery My grandfather later married Shirley??? Have no idea anything else about her.

James A. Smith (was my great grandfather) DOB ca. 1877. He married Maggie Lamb of Ridgway, IL, in Shawneetown, IL, Saline, County. They had three sons together, and which one was my grandfather. There apparently was another son George Smith and a William (Bill) Smith. My grandfather apparently had a half brother Floyd Thomas Jr, whom I don’t know to much about. His sisters were Clara (Smith) Pruitt and she had lived in Mt. Vernon, IL, and had a son whose name is/was Bob Pruitt, and his other sister was Hattie (Smith) Padgett, and also was living in Mt. Vernon, IL. I was also told of another sister, whom was Mary Pauline (Smith) Back. She had two daughters Faye (Back) Nation of Shawneetown, and Delilah (Lollie) (Back) Vaughan, they are my 2nd cousin, and my father and uncle’s nieces.

Joseph Smith (was my great-great grandfather) DOB ca. 1808. He married Eliza Jane Akins married ca. 1845 in Ridgway, IL, and he died ca. 1863. Virginius W. Smith is also in my line. He was born in Cinn, OH

These are the parents and grandparents of my grandmother. Alice May Back my grandmother's father was James Back married my grand mother Josephine Mossbarger in Shawneetown, Gallatin County, she also had a daughter also named Josephine and she was born 07-20-1891, died 09-05-1972 in Loretta Nursing Home, Shawneetown, IL., and buried in Westwood Cemetery, Shawneetown, IL My grandfather and his wife are buried in Westwood also. I also have a cousin Sheila Pinkston buried in Westwood Cemetery, Shawneetown. Now James Back's father was Mitch Back and was married to Mary Hise, no dates available on them at all. Now Josephine Mossbarger's parents were John W. Mossbarger, married Alice D. Pruitt. now there is nothing else that I have. As you can see Alice D. Pruitt was one of my great grandparents.

I was also told there was also a Luther Ingleton. Apparently, this man was my grandfather’s cousin. Still unknown for sure. There was also a Jim or Red Davies whom was said to be related. There is also a cousin Charles Usselton who I was told lived in Dale, IL, his brother was Hershel was a jockey who was German. If any of this rings a bell please contact me so we can get together. I am trying to plan a family reunion for the Smith's in Shawneetown, IL. So if you are Scottish or related any anyway please let me know. If you or anyone else is interested in helping getting this together please let me know, I would love to hear from you or anyone for that matter in this regards.

Douglas Smith (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2006 8:16PM GMT
Sandy,
We are American by birth, Scottish/Cherokee by blood, and Southern by the grace of God. Now what else could one ask for.

Doug
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions