Search for content in message boards

Nancy BIGGS married George Thomas OFFLIGHTER Jr.

Nancy BIGGS married George Thomas OFFLIGHTER Jr.

Posted: 18 Jun 2000 7:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Feb 2004 11:17PM GMT
Surnames: Biggs, Offlighter
Nancy Biggs married George Thomas Offlighter Jr. Had children in VA. Any info??

Re: Nancy BIGGS married George Thomas OFFLIGHTER Jr.

Lou Bryant (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2002 9:16PM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2004 11:17PM GMT
Surnames: Offlighter, Biggs
I am working on the Offlighters in Nelson/Augusta Counties, VA. I have seen Nancy's name as Briggs and Biggers and now as Biggs.. One source said that she came from France to Albemarle Co. VA. No documentation on that. I, however thought that she was married to the senior George Thomas Offlighter and that George Jr. their son, married Isabella White in 1827 according to Nelson Co. records. Do you have anything on George and Nancy's son other son, John Thomas Offlighter who was born 1793 or 1972? That is my line.

Laura OFFLIGHTER who married William Henry DAVIS

Posted: 5 Feb 2004 12:05AM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2004 11:15PM GMT
Surnames: Offlighter, Davis
I have a Laura Offlighter who was 1856 she married William Henry Davis and died in IL in 1880 does she fit in your Offlighter group . I cant find a marriage lic nor her death certificate but but her son and daughter death certificates say she is from Virgina.Any thing you have would help greatly .
Thanks Mary

Posted: 22 Nov 2008 5:26PM GMT
Surnames: Oflighter, Mc Bride
John Thomas Offlighter (son of George Thomas offlighter) had daughter Ellen b. Nelson Co., Va. who was the second wife of Thomas McBride b. Goochland Va., thier daughter Pauline is an ancestor of my children.
Can you tell me anything about the Offlighters?
Anything would be helpful.
Sincererly
Shawnlee Von Lunen

Posted: 23 Nov 2008 2:41AM GMT
Hi- My ancestor Matilda Offlighter, sister of your Ellen, married Joseph Hicks and they lived in Augusta Co. I have some information on this family but have not been able to go back beyond George Thomas Offlighter and his wife Nancy Briggs (?) They had three children (John)Thomas Offlighter, Mary Offlighter and George Offlighter Jr. All records I have found are in Nelson Co VA. Would you like my sources on George Thomas Offlighter? Great to know that someone else is working on this family.

Posted: 23 Nov 2008 3:12AM GMT
Surnames: Biggs, Offlighter
Yes, I would love to know your sources. I have only been working this line for a couple of days (to start filling in a missing line in the tree.) Since I am just framing out the work I need to do. I have just census and a few notes I looked at from other posts and what grandpa Smysor had to say, which wasn't much just enough to get going.
once the basics are in I'll get to work on fleshing out bio's (I hope)
It doesn't seem like many are working on the Offlighters so it will be an interesting pursuit!
Thanks
If you don't want to post on line you can reach me at svonlunen@hotmail.com

Posted: 2 Feb 2009 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Offlighter, Biggs, Balsley, Hyden, Baber, Butler, Dedrick, Engleman, Beck
Hi Shawnlee, my name is Christy. I am the g-g-g-g-g-great grand daughter of George & Nancy Biggs Offlighter. My line goes like this; George & Nancy Biggs Offlighter to John T & Mary A "Polly" Rippetee Offlighter to Nancy Offlighter & Elijah Balsley to Mary E A Balsley & H H Dedrick to John L & Virginia "Jennie" Thomas Dedrick to Martha E Dedrick & Elwood S Hyden to Emmett E & Ceclia Hoban Hyden to ME. I started out researching my Hyden & Baber ancestors which in turn led me to Balsley, Coiner, Dedrick & Offlighter, and others. Which brings me to you. I see you have mentioned Ellen and Thomas McBride's daughter Pauline. She is a new one for me. I see on the 1860 census where they have Thomas' 2 dau's (Elizabeth J & Nancy E)from his previous marriage to Rebecca Jane Balsley, and I see their own children Josephine, William, George, Charles and Thomas' mother Elizabeth. When was Pauline born? I can't seem to locate the 1870 census on them. I have the census' on Wm, George & Charles for 1900, 1910, 1920 & 1930. But NO Pauline. Would appreciate any info you could share with me and if I can help you out further, just ask. Christy

Posted: 3 Feb 2009 2:09AM GMT
Surnames: Balsley, Mc Bride, Rippette, Offlighter
Hi, Christy, nice to hear from you. In 1870 they are still in Rockfish Twp., Nelson Co., Va. not far from the Balsley families. (in 1860 you will recall they were next door to Samuel Balsley). 1870 Sept. 6, 1870 Page 64 household 475 family 483, Thomas Mc Bride this time listed b 1816 ( his age varies from 1816 to 1821 on the census records)Ellen 38, William 14, Lizzie 23, Nancy 17, josephine 15, George W. 12, Charles R. 11, John 8, James 6, Mary Belle 3, Pauline 1, (born June 1869)and mother Elizabeth 65.
In 1880 they have relocated to Jackson Twp., Buchanan Co., Mo. where Pauline is with them. Pauline is in Ill. where she married in 1887 and where she is on the 1900 census with husband Samuel Hall.
Do you know when Thomas and Ellen died? Also Mary Polly Rippette where did you find her? and do you have dates for her? Hope this is helpful
Shawnlee

Posted: 3 Feb 2009 2:13AM GMT
Opps Elizabeth in 1870 is Thomas sister not mother.

Posted: 3 Feb 2009 5:23PM GMT
Surnames: Offlighter, Biggs, Balsley, Hyden, Baber, Butler, Dedrick, Engleman, Beck
Thanks for the info. Once I put the space between Mc & Bride the census records popped right up, who'da thought! Anyway, I got my info from the book "A Historical Sketch of Michael Keinadt & Margaret Diller, etc - The Genealogy up to 1893". Also from city & county websites records, other researchers info that has been passed on through message boards, and The Valley of the Shadow website and (VMI) Virginia MIlitary Institute website. Most of my ancestors were in the CSA and were from VA, those two websites were most helpful. I'd like to keep in touch with you for any future developments on the research of our lines. Thanks again for your help. Christy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions