Search for content in message boards

Spelling of Duguay

Spelling of Duguay

Posted: 20 Apr 2007 1:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Duguay
Hello,

I recently returned from a trip to Paris. I noticed on the L'Arc de Triomphe the name Dugua. Does anyone know if a "Y" was added when the ancestors immigrated to North America?

Regards, Wayne

Re: Spelling of Duguay

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 9:22PM GMT
In reading numerous original documents I have found a number of different spellings for Duguay the most common variant being Dugue, which I found in early (1770's-1830's) documents in both Quebec and New Brunswick. In later documents for these families the spelling consistantly became Duguay. I do not know why the change took place.

Other less frequent variations are Duguet, Dugais, Dugait, all of which are pronounced the same "DooGay" but seem to be phonetic variations.

Dugua and Dugas appear to be a separate family surname from the limited number of individuals I have researched. Needs further looking.

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 3:40PM GMT
The spelling of the Name Duguay is DUGUAY However in Acadian speech it is pronounced "doogee".
Some of families chose to use the "dit" name of Dugue OR when they left the area they lived and migrated to an english speaking area and asked their name it came out "doogee" and was written as Dugue.
You have to understand the use of "dit "names when dealing with "Acadian" or "French Canadian" names.
In most if not all of Quebec Provence, all of northern Vermont, New Hampshire, New York state and western Massachusets The name is pronounced "Doogee" by the french speaking people

Posted: 13 Nov 2009 3:56PM GMT
I too noticed that in 1957 when I was there, but I also noticed at least 5 other names that I knew that were not spelled the way I learned to spell them, I did some checking and found no answers at all that I could get an explanation from, all blueprint documents had the spelling that was used,until I met a history professor
that had a class there at the Arc. and told him about my problem, his answer to me was both funny and very plausible.
He said " these were artists tradesmen,sculptors,etc that did this work, although the work is brilliant and a monument to mankind, it does not mean that they couldn't misspell a name"

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 6:38PM GMT
There is also a spelling of Dudier listed in Wesmoreland Co in New Brunswick. How they arrived with that, I'll never know.

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 6:40PM GMT
There is also a spelling of Dudier listed in Wesmoreland Co in New Brunswick. How they arrived with that, I'll never know.

Barbara

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 6:45AM GMT
It is interesting how pronunciations of a particular name varies from region to region.

I was unaware that Acadians pronounced Duguay as "Doogee" since that was not how they pronounced it when I visted Acadian Village at Caraquet. It must be more prevalent elsewhere in New Brunswick and I am familar with some Americans pronoucing the name "Doogee". That is not the case however in Quebec.

One of the things that is missing when we write Dugue in english is the accent aigu that occurs in the early french records, it is that accent that gives the "e" a hard "ay" sound. Perhaps dropping this accent is what led english speaking people to pronouce the name "Doogee".

I do understand dit names and how they are used. Dit names refers to the name a person goes by if it differs from their original surname. In other words it is an acknowledged alias that a person chooses to use. I do not understand the relevance of dit names to the pronunciation of the Duguay name.

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 1:09PM GMT
"dit" = called, Duguay "dit" Dugue. I have first cousins named Dugue, my Great uncle who stayed in Caraquet had 3 children who did not care for their father, when they came to the states, they pronounced their name as Dugue (the same way I pronounce my name of Duguay) the imigration people at the New Hampshire border wrote their name as Dugue so they kept that name and were naturalized with the last name of Dugue.
Would that happen now, I doubt it, but in the late 1890s it was VERY common.

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 12:33PM GMT

Posted: 31 Jul 2010 6:40PM GMT
I am curious about your explanation "The name is pronounced "Doogee" by the french speaking people." I've never heard even one of us (French Canadians of la province de Québec or French in Chérac) pronounce "u" as "oo." I think the mispronunciation is due to an English inability to properly pronounce that tough little French vowell "u," and probably accounts for New England pronunciation.

Salut!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic