Search for content in message boards

Look up Jonathan HOWTON 1800 census plz

Look up Jonathan HOWTON 1800 census plz

j. Harris (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2006 2:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 May 2009 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: HOWTON,
Could someone do a 1800 Census record look up for Jonathan HOWTON in PA?
He couldn't read or write so HOWTON might be spelled a little different.
He was born in England his wife name was ANN.

Jonathan is listed in 1810 & 1820 in Hopkins CO.,KY but they are not listed there in the 1800 census
Thanks
Jan

Re: Look UP Jonathan Howton 1800 census PLZ

Posted: 29 Jun 2006 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Census
Edited: 7 Aug 2006 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: HOWTAND, HOWTON
These were the only Howton / Howtand listed for 1800.

Abraham Howtand
Topsham, Lincoln, ME
-
Joseph Howton
Newtown, Bucks, PA
-
Mathew Howton
Philadelphia Cedar Ward, Philadelphia, PA

j. Harris (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2006 9:56PM GMT
Surnames: HOWTON, TROVER
I wonder where he could have been?
The earliest "honest to goodness" paper trail is the 1810 Census where he is found in Hopkins CO., KY. But his oldest son is listed as being born 1789 in PA. I haven't been able to find Jonathan & Ann (TROVER) HOWTON's marriage licesne. So I was hoping to be able to find them in the 1790 census.
Any ideas?
To many different opinions on Ancestry and the Yates Publishing marriages list them marrying in Kentucky. But they have NO copy of the marriage license, record or bond and they don't have a county listed in KY for this marriage to have taken place.
Thanks for your time on looking this up for me, I do appreciate it.
Jan
:)

Posted: 30 Jun 2006 3:25AM GMT
Classification: Census
Edited: 26 May 2009 6:02PM GMT
Surnames: HOWTON, Houghton
Jan,

I did try Howton as a wild card search to make sure all spellings were included; also "Houghton".

Did you contact Yates Publishing to find out their source?

Family Group Sheet Exchange
Bill Yates, Yates Publishing, P.O. Box 67, Stevensville, MT, 59870. Or contact him toll-free at 888-377-3797 or via e-mail at wyates@montana.com.

-or-

Heritage Consulting
"The Millennium File"
Salt Lake City

Is the Jonathan Howton you're researching arrive from London at New Orleans in 1773? He was 16 years of age? After marriage he and his wife had two daughters and seven sons? Or is this a different J. Howton you are researching?
-
Kathleen

j. Harris (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jun 2006 11:13PM GMT
I did check sorta with Yates Publishing, they said they had JONATHAN & ANN TROVER HOWTON marrying in KY, but they didn't have a county listed, they also didn't have a copy of the marriage license, record, or bond. But for 15.00 they would mail me the addresses of other HOWTON researches, I figured that this would be a 15.00 wild goose chase. IF a researcher had this marrige license, bond or record, it seems to me that Yates would have had a copy.

I did talk with a lady from England and she said that the HOUGHTON is the American surname HORTON. But then again the census taker might have spelled Houghton, or Horton.
Jonathan was b. 1755-1757.

I don't have him been in New Orleans Louisiana wasn't New Orleans a territory until 1805 and then a state by 1812. Children:
8 boys & two girls
David, Abraham, Lewis, CURTIS (my direct line), Anne, Samuel, A. Mary, Joseph, James, & Jesse.
They are listed in the 1810 & 1820 Census Record.
Jonathan died 1826 and is buried in Hell's Half arce Cemetery.
I just wish I could find that marriage licesne or a clue where they were in the 1790 census, and 1800 census.
Thanks for your reply
I do appreciate your time
and any suggestions you can offer.
Thanks
Jan

Posted: 1 Jul 2006 4:25AM GMT
Edited: 26 May 2009 6:06PM GMT
Surnames: HOWTON,
Hi Jan,
I didn't mean J. Howton lived in New Orleans; he arrived at the Port of New Orleans from London, England when he immigrated to this country. It (the Port and surrounding land) was a "territory", at that time owned by the French. Later on - yes you're right, after the Louisiana Purchase, it became a state.
There isn't a KY census to my knowledge for 1790 (statehood for KY, 1792) so the VA census has to be looked at. The 1800 KY census was burned by the British during the War of 1812. You may have to look at "reconstructed" census data made up of tax and militia rolls - and apparently marriage indices as well (?).
The family names you wrote down are the same ones I have some information on. I'll send it on to you.

Kathleen

Posted: 11 Oct 2007 5:10PM GMT
If this helps according to my records,around 1790-1800 His oldest son David (my line) was born in Penn. in 1789 and his son Louis whom I have born in 1793 was born in Virginia. Sorry no counties. some of the other children were born in TN. I do have some history of this family that has been passed down to me from my mom. If you would like to have it, email me at jking1121@yahoo.com.
I have been to Hell's Half Acre. He had a rock with a backwards J. The family has in the last few years purchased a new tomb rock to mark his grave.

Be happy to help. J. King
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions