I have a few ELLS loose ends I wonder if anyone could help me connect:
1. John H. ELLS b. abt 1826 at Halls Harbour, m. abt 24 Aug 1858 at Canning to Julia Ann WHITE b. abt 1836. Children: Ellen, Rebecca, Benjamin, Harriet, Sarah Jane, Isaac Wilson, Mary Ettie, William, Susan, John Henderson.
2. Samuel ELLS b. abt 1829 in Nova Scotia and wife Jane b. abt 1831 in Nova Scotia were recorded in the 1855 census living in Charlestown, MA
3. Susan ELLS m. 13 Sep 1863 Daniel HUNTLEY
4. William ELLS b. abt 1848 in Nova Scotia, m. Sarah J. b. abt 1850. They were living in Portland, ME in the 1880 census with children: Charles b. abt 1873, Fannie b. abt 1875, and Herman C. b. abt 1878. Are they the same as William and Sarah in St. Martin's Parish, Saint John Co., N.B. in 1901 and 1991 census with children Mary A. b. abt 1882, Raymond H. b. abt 1883, Maggie M. b. abt 1887, Lizzie b. abt 1889, Ida Alberta b. abt 1896.
5. William Andrew ELLS b. abt 1824 m. 16 Mar 1854 Louise BALSOR with children Rebecca, Havelock, and Maud.
6. There's a MA death record for Mary Ell b. 7 Mar 1844, d. 11 May 1914, wife of Judah Ells and daughter of Isaac BENNETT and Caroline ELLS. Who were they? Check out 1870 MA census for household headed by "Mary Elles" aged 26 b. NS
7. John ELLS b. 1787 was the son of Samuel ELLS and Rebecca Amelia SANFORD. John m. 1816 Olive Caroline LOOMER. I believe I have mistakenly combined two families together. Who were the children of the above couple?
8. I have two Judah ELLS, both married twice. One the son of John and Olive, the other the son of Jedediah and Hannah. Would appreciate confirmation I have attributed the correct children and spouses to each.
Steve and all,
Before I get into this, I should preface my comments that after doing a lot of digging, I agree with Steve's analysis that there must be two families involved here. I will do this in point form.
1. I show John's wife as Olive Catherine, not Olive Caroline.
Children assigned to this marriage:
2. Lavinia's marriage to Henry Potter declares her parents as John & Olive
6. William A (not H)
8. Judah's marriage to Lavinia (Mains) Campbell list his parents as John & Olive
9. Mary's marriage to Judah W Ells list her parents as John & Caroline
10. James Henry's marriage to Agnes Maria Rogers list his parents as John & Caroline.
11. In the 1881 census for Canning, Olive C Ells, 80 and widowed is living with Judah, 43 and widowed and his 4 children.
12. John Ells, son of Sam'l and Rebecca Amelia died 9 Nov 1868 in Canning.
13. Caroline Ells, widow, married Isaac Bennett on 11 August, 1864. She was living in Aylesford at the time.
Coupling all of this information with Mary's death record (see Steve's note) which states that her parents were Isaac Bennett & Caroline Ells (see point 9) indicates that there were two families; John and Olive C & John and Caroline and that they are not the same people.
I suggest that 2 through 8 are correctly assigned while 9 & 10 belong to John and Caroline.
Now we need to find out who John and Caroline were.
Regards to all
Keith (and others)
I thought I'd just ask for input instead of dirtying the waters, so to speak, but maybe i'll just present what I have and folk can point out the mistakes:
John ELLS b. 2 Jan 1787 Scot's Bay, d. 9 Nov 1868 Canning, son of Samuel ELLS and Rebecca Amelia SANFORD, m. 15 Apr 1816 Olive Caroline LOOMER b. 31 Mar 1801, d. 12 Jun 1882, dau. of Stephen LOOMER and Catherine RAND.
Lavinia b. abt 1818, m1st Abraham WEST b. 13 May 1821, d. 9 Dec 1867, son of Elijah WEST and Mary COFFIN, m2nd 11 Mar 1873 Capt. Henry POTTER b. abt 1823 in Yorkshire, England
Catherine b. 26 Feb 1819, d. 7 Mar 1900 Brookville, Cumberland Co., N.S., m. 28 Aug 1836 Capt. James Alfred HATFIELD b. 18 Jul 1818, d. 14 Jan 1905
Perry b. 1821, d. 1854, Advocate Harbour, m. Mary Ann LOOMER b. abt 1829, d. 1915, Advocate Harbour
Ann b. abt 1821, m. Thaddeus CHRISTIE (this based on olive Ells, aged 70, widow, living in F1-Canning #209, 1871 census in household of john Carter, widower aged 28. Ann Christie aged 50, widow, is also in household... so i have Ann and Thaddeus CHRISTIE having children: 1) Sarah Catherine b. abt 1847 Windsor, d. 5 Feb 1871 Cornwallis, m. abt 31 Aug 1864 MA to John CARTER and 2) John b. abt 1847
William A. b. abt 1828 m. abt 15 Jan 1856 Olivia KNOWLTON
Abraham b. abt 1834 m. 15 NOv 1854 Sarah BAKER
Judah b. 8 Sep 1836, Habitant, d. 10 Feb 1905, m1st Jun 1862 Newport, Hants Co., Hannah SIMPSON ch: Frederick, Charles, Bessie, Annie, John S., m2nd 14 Dec 1887 Lavinia MAIN, ch. Mary Florence (Judah is in 1881 census, aged 43, living with mother Olive C. aged 80.
- Prudence b. abt 1838, m1st 8 Oct 1862 Canning, George B. CLARK, m2nd Capt. Andrew HART
So then we go with Keith and have an unknown John ELLS m. Caroline with children:
1) Mary b. 7 Mar 1844 Canard, d. 11 May 1914, Reading, MA, m. 10 Oct 1866 Cornwallis Judah W. ELLS b. abt 1830, Cornwallis, d. 24 Dec 1914, Boston City Hospital, s/o Jedediah ELLS and Hannah Rand NEWCOMB (Mary was his second wife, he m1st 15 Jun 1854 Rosannah HAZEL) Mary and Judah had son Arthur Amanzo ELLS b. 8 Feb 1871 in Cheslea, Suffolk Co., MA
2) Eunice Ann b. 1847 Halls Harbour, d. 18 Apr 1907 in Somerville, MA, m. 4 Sep 1870 Boston to Charles Albion WOODWORTH b. 26 Mar 1848, son of Silas Newton WOODWORTH and Susannah M. WOODWORTH
3) James Henry b. abt 24 Jul 1851, m. 14 Oct 1874 Scot's Bay, Agnes Maria ROGERS
Based on the 1870 census that shows Mary Ells aged 26 as the head of the household. I believe Judah W.'s name was omitted since Mary and Judah W. married in 1866. Listed next is Eunice A. Ells aged 21. I believe that is her sister. Then there is Caroline B. Ells aged 44 and Isaac Bennett aged 62 farm hand. I think this Caroline B. Ells is the same one who married 11 Aug 1864 in Cornwallis to Isaac Bennett. Suppose she is the daughter of John and Olive Caroline and that she married a John Ells. She could be the mother of Mary, Eunice Ann, and James Henry. After three "Woodward" and a Wilmot is George H. Ells aged 14. I think he's Judah W.'s son by his first wife Augusta Simpson. Then there are Alfred aged 3 and Edward E. aged 1. They are the first two sons of Judah and his second wife Mary Ells. A third son was Arthur Amanzo b. 8 Feb 1871 in Chelsea, MA.
For Judah W. ELLS b. abt 1830 in Cornwallis, d. 24 Dec 1914, Boston City hospital, son of Jedediah Ells and Hannah Rand Newcomb, I have him m. 15 Jun 1854 Rosannah HAZEL with children George H. and Sarah Jane. Judah W. then married the above Mary Ells 10 Oct 1866 and had Alfred F., Edward Everett, and Arthur Amanzo.
I had a look at the John Ells situation in the 1851 census and found the following:
ELLS John Canard 003
ELLS John Cornwallis Dist 2 004
ELLS John C Canard 004
ELLS John E Centreville 002
ELLS John W Canard 003
Then I looked at the ones in my data base and came up with;
John b. 25 Mar 1789, son of Daniel Ells and Elizabeth Bennett
John b. 2 Jan 1787, son of Samuel Ells and Rebecca Amelia Sanford m. Olive Loomer
A supposed John Ells who would have been Caroline Ells husband before marrying Isaac Bennett
John C. Ells m. Mary Jackson
John DeWolfe Ells - but he was living in Shelburne Co. by then
John Eaton Ells, b. 1819, m. Rachel Gilmore Chase
John H. Ells b. 1826, but he may not have had a place of his own yet since he didn't marry Julia Ann White until 1858.
John Woodworth Ells b. 1817, son of Perry Borden Ells and Elizabeth Woodworth
So it looks to me that a possible match for our missing John Ells could be the one born in 1789, although that makes him much older than Caroline, although it could also help explain why she was a young widow too. It's an avenue to explore. Does anyone have any further info on the John Ells b. 25 Mar 1789, son of Daniel Ells and Elizabeth Bennett?
Who were the parents of this Isaac Bennet b. abt 1808?
Steve and all,
To Address Steve's list of "John Ells" in the region at the time;
1. John b. 25 Mar 1789, son of Daniel Ells and Elizabeth Bennett
2. John b. 2 Jan 1787, son of Samuel Ells and Rebecca Amelia Sanford m. Olive Loomer
3. A supposed John Ells who would have been Caroline Ells husband before marrying Isaac Bennett
4. John C. Ells m. Mary Jackson
5. John DeWolfe Ells - but he was living in Shelburne Co. by then
6. John Eaton Ells, b. 1819, m. Rachel Gilmore Chase
7. John H. Ells b. 1826, but he may not have had a place of his own yet since he didn't marry Julia Ann White until 1858.
8. John Woodworth Ells b. 1817, son of Perry Borden Ells and Elizabeth Woodworth
1. John b. 25 Mar 1789
2. John b. 2 Jan 1787, d. 9 Nov 1868
3. John m. Caroline
4. John C b. 8 Jan 1822, d. 2 Jun 1890, s/o Elisha & Phebe (Pineo) Ells
6. John Eaton Ells b. 4 Jan 1819, d. 17 Sep 1902
8. John Woodworth Ells b. 1817, d. 1901
9. John Benson Strong Ells, b. 22 Oct 1821, s/o Robert & Catherine (Eaton) Ells
10. Jonathan b. 1 Apr 1790, brother of 2. m. Mary Lounsbury
I am missing Steve's numbers 5 & 7
Assuming that the marriage record of Isaac Bennett and Caroline Ells is correct, she was a widow at the time of her marriage on 11 Aug, 1868 in Cornwallis Twp. John must have died pror to that date.
1. no information (possible)
2. still living in 1864 (not likely)
3. target subject
4. still living in 1864 (not likely)
5. no information (possible)
6. still living in 1864 (not likely) - listed in 1871 census (Canard)
7. no information (possible) - listed in 1871 census (Harbourville)
8. still living in 1864 (not likely) - listed in 1871 census (Canning)
9. no information (possible) - listed in 1871 census (Canning)
10. no information but his brother was refered to as John (not likely)
There are two "possible" John's left in this list:
1. John b. 25 Mar 1789, son of Daniel Ells and Elizabeth Bennett
5. John DeWolfe Ells - but he was living in Shelburne Co. by then (1851)
Moving to the marriage record of Isaac Bennett and Caroline Ells:
They were married in a Baptist church in Cornwallis on 11 Aug, 1864, both listed as widowed. Three other people were listed as participants: Sarah Ells and Elinor (Elmer?) Bennett as witnesses and Rev. Jacob B Norton as minister.
Who were they?
Sarah Ells, could be sister, sister-in-law, mother, friend.
Elinor (Elmer?) Bennett - no records found
Rev. Jacob B Norton was a "Free Will Baptist":
Elder Jacob Norton was a son of thunder. He was ordained by the " Church of Christ," Swansville, Me., in 1814, then being 22 years of age. Four years later he landed at Shag Harbor, Shelburne Co. He called himself a " Christian." In 1819, on consultation with Elders Crowell and McGray, a church was organized at Argyle. Accounts differ as to whether this was a " Christian" or " Free Christian Baptist" church, but in its origin and growth it was analogous to the other free churches. Elder Norton resided at Argyle until 1823, when he went to Horton for two years, and after that returned to Yarmouth and is said to have organized a church at the house of Eleazer Hibbert at the " Ponds." He spent some time at Barrington, and after the union, went in 1839 to Cornwallis, Kings Co., where his labors resulted in the formation of churches at Habitant, Halls Harbor, Black Rock, Scots Bay and Mount Denison, and kept alive the open communion sentiment in the adjacent counties. He died 11 May 1868, after fifty years of ministerial service in Nova Scotia.
excerpt from: History of the Baptists of the Maritime provinces by Edward Manning Saunders
Death certificate of Eunice Ann (Ells) Woodworth
She lists both of her parents, John and Caroline Ells, as being from Hall's Harbor (sic) and her birth as being there.
John Henry Ells, son of John and Caroline, states in his marriage certificate that he was born in Hall's Harbour.
I think we need to be focusing on Hall's Harbour for our answers.
An aside to the 1870 census for Ward 14 of Boston, taken on 21 June 1870. The three Woodward boys that are listed are incorrect. They should read Woodworth. Eunice A. Ells married Chas. A. Woodworth two months later on 4 Sep 1870.
Marriage of Isaac Bennett and Caroline Ells should read "11 Aug, 1864" not 1868.