Search for content in message boards

Help Understanding Address in Norway

Help Understanding Address in Norway

Posted: 12 May 2004 6:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a 1933 letter indicating family members were born in "(Gaard) Helland on Rennesco) Stavanger, Norway. I can find Stavanger but can someone help me decipher the first part of the address? Cindi Jonsen

Re: Help Understanding Address in Norway

PR (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2004 7:13PM GMT
On the islands just to the north of the city of Stavanger there is a farm (gard/gaard) named Helland on the island named Rennesøy. You got a name or names to go with that address? I've got something I could check for that particular farm which includes that time period.

Posted: 12 May 2004 8:41PM GMT
The letter I have was written by a 76 year old man in 1933 placing his birth in June, 1857. He states his parents Hans Endresen and Bertha Malina Helland (who immigrated to the US in 1850) were born there. Bertha Malina Helland was the daughter of Aanen Helland and Christina (Dalager) Helland. I have no futher information on Hans Endresen. Do you have any information for this farm for the period from 1800 - 1850? Thanks in advance. Cindi Jonsen

Helland farm, Rennesøy, Rogaland

PR (View posts)
Posted: 12 May 2004 9:21PM GMT
Hans Endresson did live on a 'plass' of the Helland farm, probably born Aug 1826 and emigrated 1850. (p. 336-337)
Berta Malena Ånensdatter was from bruk 4 of that farm, born Jul 1828, and emigrated 1850. (p. 324)
Source - "Rennesøy - Gard og ætt Band I" by Birger Lindanger and Jørg Eirik Waula, pub. 1993.
The Rennesøy kommune is located in Rogaland. The bygdeboks for that kommune are in three volumes and include a good number of photos. The parish church records have been copied to LDS microfilm.

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 4:09AM GMT
can you help me understand where Steinchare is?

Im looking for Helland farm where my 3X great grandfather Ole Johnson farmed. His son Martin Helland came to the us as an adult and took the name of Helland.

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 6:38AM GMT
Could you mean "Steinkjer", it is pronounced just about the same.

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 10:27AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2013 11:27AM GMT
I agree with previous - probably Steinkjer district/parish of Nord-Trøndelag, Norway.
I don't see "Helland" farm(s) there but Hælen and Hallan farms in the 1865 census and slight spelling changes in the 1900 Norwegian census.

You can't know for sure unless you can look for actual people and you really can't know you've found them if you can't look for WHEN they were born there there, other family names, etc.

The 1865 census does show an Ole Johnson on one of the farms connected to Hælen or Hallan -- a mans common name so you'd definitely have to compare to other info.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 8:36PM GMT
Surnames: Helland, Johnson
Martin Ole Helland is my 2nd Great-Grandfather.

I have read through the parish registers for the years 1854-1858 for areas around Steinkjer, Norway. I have not seen a Martin with the correct parent names.

However, there was a Mortinius born May 28, 1857 to Ole Johnson and Anne Martha Olsdatter from the Hælen farm in Stod, Norway. Martin Ole Helland's reported birthday is May 23, 1856. A change from May 28 to 23 would be an easy transcription error. The following URL is a map showing the 10 mile trek from Steinkjer to Stod:
[http://goo.gl/maps/p1LAR]

The newspaper obituary of Martin Ole Helland who died March 30, 1934 states that he was confirmed at the Elstad Lutheran Church in Minnesota. The church has a confirmation record from June 2, 1872 for Ove Martinius born on May 28, 1857 in Stod, Norway to Ole Johnson and Anne Martha Olsdatter. The church historian and I believe that the Stod Parish record and Elstad Confirmation record refer to the same individual despite the difference in the name.

More importantly, we believe that this is the young Martin Ole Helland based on parent names (given, surname, and farm names), sibling names, and other facts consistent with verbal and written family history. But, I'm always open to new information that could prove otherwise.

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 11:29AM GMT
Steinkjer and Egge were separated from Stod clerical district in 1868. So finding records under books for Stod would seem right.

Martinius/Mortinius would be a name easily adapted to the more American Martin. Many emigrants adapted their names to Americanize. Ove would be a given name that probably didn't adapt easily and could be ignored in the new country.

I think you have found the correct person.

This is probably the family in the 1865 Norwegian census.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

They are residing on a subfarm then called Hælenbakken and his father is only a tenant farmer.

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 4:19PM GMT
Surnames: Ulven, Helland, Johnson
I would agree this is them! If so, we see that Martin is called Ove in this census.

I also know that the Ole Johnson and Anne Martha Olsdatter from Stod had a son born as Henrik Andreas Olsen. We see a Henrik Andrias Olsen working on the Ulven farm in Stod in the same census year:
http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&am...

This is significant because Martin O Helland had a brother named Henry who immigrated to the US several years after him. Though his headstone bears the name Henry O Helland, the name ULVEN is engraved in large letters at the top:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/2945651/person/6350305218/med...
The two surnames on the headstone really confused some of us for many years until we started to grasp the Norwegian naming conventions.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic